What have you learned the hard way?

gmp

Don't assume the other people you live with will check the oven before preheating it to 400* when you have molds in there.

Don't use a glass thermometer to stir things.

My family should know by now that the oven is for candle molds first and for food second!!! :D:o

I second that a glass thermometer is not meant to stir things. Also, dont drop them or knock them off the counter. I have just broken my 5th one

......argghhh :shocked2: As of tomorrow I am strictly a digital thermometer girl!!:smiley2:

Pam

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't put your molds in the oven for just a few minutes while preheating the oven for dinner. I just did this tonight. Of course I got distracted and forgot about them. Now I have to solder them all back together. And of course this happens while getting ready for a big craft show.

Same as a few others.Always put down aluminum foil and clean up will be easy.All that spill over is able to be thrown out with the foil.Don't have to scrape and scrub the work area.

Also like all others make sure you mark those tarts and candles.I forget. I have been able to decide what scent like apple pie but this year I used alot of nutty and chocolate fo's and have no idea what is what.I think I will give them to my friend and when she asks "What scent? I will say "your guess is as good as mine".Maybe she can figure it out.HA!!!!!! She buys alot of my candles and is my critic.So far so good.

One for craft shows.Never sell 3 cases, come home and think you have to replenish.That is stupid.Keep what you have made and someone will find a scented candle they like.You dont have to re-stock unless you are almost out.I bet I had 12 cases that year made ahead and would come home and make more.Then way to many left over and not sold. DON"T OVERSTOCK.

LynnS

Liquid Dyes that come in squeeze bottles tend to clog or thicken. You can become a "Smurfette" in a matter of seconds!! roflmao

Wicks from different suppliers aren't all the same (size wise) even though they are marked that way. If using different suppliers for wicks, buy samples first.

***When one or more CT posters are on one computer....notice who is on line!!***

Damn, I have learned a lot

Never put candle making items in oven and then leave kitchen. Never heat gel wax and leave kitchen. I have learned that nothing will distract me while I am in the process of making either candles or CP Soap. If the doorbell rings, phone rings or the dog has to go outside, it can all WAIT. After many "small" fires, I have learned to pay attention. Ever since I started with those rules, I have had no problems!!!

Christina

Get organized. I bought several stackable plastic cubes that can hold paper in 3 drawers and put my wicks in them. I agree.... never take out more than one wick at a time... even if you are not turning away for a second. I think it is that 40 thing.

Take notes and good ones. When I first started I took careless notes and when I would go back to check something they were useless. Had to retest many candles. Now nothing burns without being documented.

Don't try to make tarts and container candles at the same time and talk on the phone. Otherwise you will end up with a very large tart in a container.

For me, don't carry a bunch of sizes. 2, 4,10,16 and 26 oz was just too much. Now I have one size. Easier to merchandise at shows.

Just because it is on sale does not mean I need it.

Don't order a pound with out testing!! Make sure you order the fo from the right supplier. Nothing like testing 3 fragrances from 3 suppliers to see which is best and getting a pound of your least favorite because did not check who sent what.

Don't invest in closeout fo's. Personally, I Don't have time to test something that will only be a one shot deal. I also don't want to tell customers I can't get something anymore.

Dont decide to redesign and relable in the middle of the show season. Matter of fact, don't EVER decide to redesign or relable, or at least use something besides an exacto for lable removal... I need my fingers and stitches are no fun.

Candle coloring and linolem floors do not mix. Actually, they do, it is the separating of the two that is the PITA. I needed some rugs anyway...

Invest in good equipment.

Read the boards and learn from everybody elses misteaks!!

Because I am way over 40, I keep all wicks in plastic cookie jars and color code them by running the tips over an inkpad, ie blue for CD7, no mark for 8, 10 gets a red inkpad mark. I was having to throw away too many unmarked wicks when the phone rang, etc. Carole

Heat gun stay hot long after you shut them off so don't grab it by the barrel.:eek:

If you have a little sink on your clamshell tarts don't try leveling them with your heat gun. This made one a nice mess on my counter top after they got soft & collapsed from the heat.

When adding your liquid dye double check the bottle to make sure your actually are adding the right color. Or at least only put the color on the counter at a time. Made a real interesting batch of black color candles that way by mistake. :angry2:

I have some,

I use clear bins with lids for storage, I label everything as I put it in. I use a label maker, so when I change to something else it just pulls off.

I just got stackable totes and wrote on the outside of each for where it goes, no more grabbing the wrong box for the wrong place for me. I liked them so much I went back and got them for my wholesalers. (yea!)

I only use stickems for writing down the scent and then I stick it in the bag, I can't tell one from the other anymore. :(

I write on the candle box lid what I made, I have had to many stickys come loose.

My most expensive lesson, use cash, buy in bulk and don't be afarid to ask for a discount!

Oh yea, and stay out of the classy's. You never know what you might have to have until you see it.

1. Always check to make sure you have enough oil in stock BEFORE you pour and dye six pour pots. Never rely on that voice in your head that says, "Oh, you have at least three pounds of Twigs n Berries in your cabinet....that will be more than enough" If you do rely on that voice, you will be frantically searching you oils muttering "What can I make that is a light burgundy????? Dammit...what can I make???" This after you frantically tear your cabinets apart and realize you only have 13oz of the damn oil.

2. "What kind of wax do you use" ... "What are your top ten sellers" ... "Where do you find your oils" ... "Where do you get your wax?" All of the previous translate into one thing..."I want to make candles and I am fishing for info." I learned the hard way to be very tight lipped. Polite most of the time (again, most), but after being burned way too many times, not forthcoming with any info other than "The internet is great."

3. When shaking aroma beads to incorporate fragrance, make sure the lid is on tight.

4. Never totally rely on an "THIS OIL IS INCREDIBLE" review on here and buy three pounds of said oil. Even if 10 other people chime in and say it is great, fight the urge to buy more than enough to test with.

Don't make candles when you are tired. You will either forget to scent them or color them or even what wick is what.

Label them after you make them (black marker with 2 letters works for me) because candle nose is chronic.

A few drops of wax on a white plate will give you the true color.

Write things down, write things down, write things down.

If you have a partner and she doesn't get excited every time you send her a new picture of a container, wholesale sight, etc. she is not a partner.

i can think of 3 things right now that i learned the hard way.

Read about something before doing it, had i done this iwould never

had melted the small plastic dish on my first scale, by pouring FO

right into to measure.

Buy scents/ fo from a good candle supply store , after driving about

hour to buy from store close to me, found out they smell ok, on shelfs

but when i order a larger bottle on all of them, they were no good, my gut

told me from look of store that it was no good. dumb me bought some anyway. now buy from only well known supplier.

Last one is... just because someone else raves about that scent, doesn't mean you will like it or your customers, bought cranberry spice last year ,

after everyone was talking about it, not only did i not like it...nobody else

in my area did. so my lesson learnt from this was to buy sample, first then

buy larger amount next time , also learnt the hard way that i nor any of my customers like anything that smells like a man after shave/ colonge and only love spell a few ladies like. the best esson i learnt was just because i think something smells great, don't mean that customers will:)

i have made a lot of mistakes and have learnt a lot from the people on this board.

Damn, I have learned a lot

Never put candle making items in oven and then leave kitchen. Never heat gel wax and leave kitchen. I have learned that nothing will distract me while I am in the process of making either candles or CP Soap. If the doorbell rings, phone rings or the dog has to go outside, it can all WAIT. After many "small" fires, I have learned to pay attention. Ever since I started with those rules, I have had no problems!!!

Christina

I couldn't agree more, nothing sharpens your attention up more than that first "small fire".

Sally.

This is a great thread!

I have to agree about labeling. I label label label!!!

I also discovered the dollar stores for their dirt cheap baskets, plastic stacking drawers, bins, baskets, etc. I use a lot of small baskets to put different size wicks it it. So now I just pick the basket with the wicks I want.

I also buy dollar store zip lock bags for my soaps. I label the bags and put in my newly made soaps until I am ready to package them.

I discovered (DUH!) that I can test out a new wax to narrow down on wicking before I actually test it out on FOs. Once I decide I like the wax and have narrowed down my wick choices then I try it with the FOs.

Don't touch the business end of a hot glue gun for at least 10 minutes after you have unplugged it. :D

1) make sure you have enough supplies for everything (including paper towels, so you're not having to ration them out :D )

2) let the answering machine be your friend (see many of the previous posts)

3) don't keep plants near the wax, OR don't force a slab of wax into your melter (3 ruined violets and my favorite candle making shirt was lost in that discovery, luckily I blinked just in time)

4) be very careful putting in 8 hours of candlemaking AFTER 8 hours of work (luckily, only one minor mistake on that one)

5) test, test, test, test, test, test, oh, did I mention TEST?

KimO