Candle companies

I wonder what type of wax yankee candle uses. I have tried other companies but it was like i was wasting money on them when their products didn't meet my expectatons. I am trying to think of the company i bought a candle from, but if i were to post that answer who knows what. have you guys ever bought something and it wasn't what you thought it was?

I wonder what type of wax yankee candle uses. I have tried other companies but it was like i was wasting money on them when their products didn't meet my expectatons. I am trying to think of the company i bought a candle from, but if i were to post that answer who knows what. have you guys ever bought something and it wasn't what you thought it was?
Do you find that Yankee Candle meets your expectations? Last time I checked, their products didn't look very good and they're mass-produced. I recall hearing recently that their pillar candle wax starts off in some kind of powerized form that's heated and compressed and squeezed out of a machine.

As far as commercial brands go, I think Illuminations has some good stuff. They have retail outlets sprinkled around the country or you can get them from Illuminations.com

I was checking out yank** candles in my local Hallmark the other day, and man, they are NASTY!! :lipsrseal Their wax is just yucky looking, and the wicks are all over the place. I used to be a yank** lover too, but I didn't know back then what a good candle looked/burned like. :rolleyes2

I have never been a Yankee fan. Candles or baseball. :laugh2:

Their candles are SO inconsistent. The colors, the wicks being off center etc.

I hate that style of jar as well. Its a bit too homespun for my taste.

I do have a few favorites commercial candles I buy ONCE in a while. I do not buy them for their burn qualities, I buy them because the scents are usually unique and complex. Something different and face it women love to spend $$$money$$$! LMAO!

Henri Bendel, Votivo and Tocca have some very cool scents.

Well I do agree that Yankee's candles are inconsistent, I think they have some very good scents. I have not yet found a dupe of their Sage & Citrus that somes close and I have tried quite a few. I think they have really branched out since I just looked at one of their catalogs. But now that I make my own, I find it hard to justify buying other candles. However, now you guys have given names of some candles makes me want to try them. Scent Cellar has been telling me about Beanpod for awhile! My sister says the Salt City candles are really good, but I have never tried them.

I used to be a Yank** fanatic. Now that I make my own also, I see how inconsistent they are. Although, I do have to say they are better than Beanpod and Salt City IMHO. I could never get a Salt City to burn all the way to the sides of the jar, and the Beanpods smell like rotten gym socks to me. I don't know if it is the wax, or something that doesn't agree with me. Has anyone tried the Circle E candles or what's the other ones that start with a C?? (For the life of me right now I can't remember!!! UGH! Don't you hate that???)

I like Gold Canyon Candle Co.'s candles. They are a regional seller, and use a MLM marketing system much like Mary Kay Cosmetics, but I enjoy their candles, and I prefer them to Yankee.

Freezin - I agree that the WYW Citrus and Sage dupe is identical. That's my second fave Yankee scent (behind Rasp Sorbet), and I am amazed at WYW's dupe.

Wow, Everyone has a different opioion about Yankee Candle. Well i guess i was wooed by Yankee, I have not really experience any other company but them and two others. Yes you can never burn all the way down and still have wax sitting there. I have tried this company called (i think) P...... something i just can't recall their name. They were ok but didn't give a good scent throw. There were other Candle business, they just couldn't stick with the brand scents they were buying originally and switch up on it which i didn't like.

Everyone gave some good pro and con's of Candle companies, Thanks.

Yea I call them "YANKME" They yank the money out of your hand then give you in return a very poor quality and expensive candle.

I buy name brand, cheep dollar store, Wal-Mart & gift shop/florist candles to test. I find that all the candles I have tested have some sort of problem from very little to no cold or hot throw to wax hang-up and sooting.

Then I display the burned candles next to my burned candles. I lable where I bought them from and the cost. It just proves to my customers that my candles burn longer, completely and very little to no soot.

I haven't bought a Yankme candle in years because the price is WAY too high for the lack of quality.:tongue2:

In the state of Ohio the candle compay that's all the rage is Swan Creek soy candles. I've never gotten on of those but I might later this year just to see what all the fuss is about. It's headed by a women who in 1995 switched over to the Brand New soy wax when it first came out. She has several stores in Ohio in historical shopping malls. She's also got some stores in Mich. as well.

They did a write up on her in our local paper and I found it interesting reading. They have a web site too.

I just recently saw a program about how yankme makes some of their candles on the discovery channel. If I remember correctly they use the wax pellets add color and fragrance then put into a big machine that then compress the wax pellets together, drills wick hole and inserts wick. From there it goes onto a conveyer belt and is box by employess. It was just a short 10 min tour of their plant. Did not see how container candles were made.

I love candles! I have bought a lot of different candles from a lot of different companies and not all of them met my expectations of what a good candle should be. Candles that I like are McCall's Country Canning (jars), Shadow and Light (votives and pillars), Bath & Body Works (pillars and jars), White Barn Candle Company (votives, pillars, jars), PartyLite (votives and 3 wicks), and Yankee Candles (votives and jars). Even though these are among the ones that I like, most of the candles have their own quality flaws.

I did try Swan Creek Candle Company in Dundee, Michigan. I tried the votives and really wasn't impressed with their candles, but that was my introduction to making candles. They sold scented wax by the pound (colored and not colored) and wicks. I bought some wax and wicks and made the candles using leftover containers. I was very excited about making my own candles and immediately did a whirlwind of research about candle making followed by a shopping spree for candle supplies!

Now that I make my own candles, I only occasionally buy a candle from a store and that is mostly to try a new fragrance. The candle that I will splurge on is any jar candle from McCall's Country Canning, which more than meets my expectations of a quality candle. In my opinion, it is the best burning jar candle and is well worth the money. It burns so much better than any of the other jar candle from the other large candle companies...the fragrance is awesome and the entire candles burns clean all the down to the wick tab! My favorite scent is Chocolate and Berries. Here is a link so that you can check out the website: http://www.mccallscandles.com

I a gree with miss Prairie. Yankee is a bad word. Mostly because we know what the flaws are and the general public does not. When people find out that I make candles they say 'oh are they better than Yankee, well I am sure they are nice but they can't be as great as my Yankee candles' After I am done choking and coughing and gaging. I give them one of mine and can count to about 4 days (sometimes less) and they are calling me wanting to get more of my candles. Ha!!! Yankmes just went in the trash can!!!!

Hey Fire can I have a link for the candle stores in Ohio. I never heard anything like that until now, and now I am curious!!

I understand that people who know candles don't agree with the quality.

But I also see posts about supppliers where they have bad service and poor quality supplies. Some are even so upset that they refuse to ever do business with them again and warn others not to. However, they don't slur the business name. :confused:

I just wondered if there was some other reason besides not liking their candles that it was done. Like maybe some kind of inside joke (and no, I don't mean their quality being a joke...lol)

Sorry, I didn't mean to highjack the thread :undecided

I understand that people who know candles don't agree with the quality.

But I also see posts about supppliers where they have bad service and poor quality supplies. Some are even so upset that they refuse to ever do business with them again and warn others not to. However, they don't slur the business name. :confused:

I just wondered if there was some other reason besides not liking their candles that it was done. Like maybe some kind of inside joke (and no, I don't mean their quality being a joke...lol)

Sorry, I didn't mean to highjack the thread :undecided

Its a long time chandlers slang. :shocked2:

Alot of people that now make their own candles used to buy Yankee candles and not see the flaws. Now that they do, they can't understand the concept of selling candles of inferior quality. Just because Yankee is one of the largest candle retailers out there doesn't mean that their product is superior. They just happen to be a household name in the USA. Its ALL about marketing and being recognized in the public eye. Consumers will always purchase Yankee candles because of the name and the middle of the road pricing. It has nothing to do with the quality.

You seem to be concerned with the "slurring" of the name, why?

I think I understand that Satin is uncomfortable with the idea of slurring the name of the competition, so to speak, and granted it's a bit of an indulgence to do so. The suggestion that we should walk the high road is noble.

However, it seems to me a harmless in-joke among chandlers. Yankee is so big compared to everyone else that they make a good target for some harmless bashing, kind of like Microsoft.

It expresses some understandable exasperation among people who are familiar with candlemaking and quality. Yankme achieves a huge economy of scale with their mass production and charges a price out of proportion to the quality of the product. The large gross profit on the product drives a distribution and marketing operation that keeps the product in the forefront of the mass market and obscures the lack of craftsmanship and value.

How ludicrous it is to have some of the best products produced by people here compared dubiously to Yankmes is nearly inexpressible.

I think I understand that Satin is uncomfortable with the idea of slurring the name of the competition, so to speak, and granted it's a bit of an indulgence to do so. The suggestion that we should walk the high road is noble.

However, it seems to me a harmless in-joke among chandlers. Yankee is so big compared to everyone else that they make a good target for some harmless bashing, kind of like Microsoft.

It expresses some understandable exasperation among people who are familiar with candlemaking and quality. Yankme achieves a huge economy of scale with their mass production and charges a price out of proportion to the quality of the product. The large gross profit on the product drives a distribution and marketing operation that keeps the product in the forefront of the mass market and obscures the lack of craftsmanship and value.

How ludicrous it is to have some of the best products produced by people here compared dubiously to Yankmes is nearly inexpressible.

Defintely agree....you've totally encapsulated the entire argument!

I'm really not all that concerned with it and I wish I could say the question had a noble purpose doing with competition. :undecided It was mere curiosity.

I don't remember if I've ever even bought one of thiers. If I have, I didn't notice the label. I've never been a "brand" person. I look at the color and sniff it. If I like the smell I buy it. Past tense though. :D