allergic

this made me go hmmmm so I googled "candle allergy" and read a variety of topics. I don't believe it is strictly paraffin since the main "irritator" seemed to be soot. Beeswax candles actually clean the air (this supposedly came from a nun, so it must be true ;) ). The other item is the fragrance which some people are more suseptable to some than others. Since there are hundreds of things that can go into the making of a candle fragrance, it probably isn't one thing that irritates everyone - just some things irritate some people.

I have a customer that suffers from allergies - I made her candles with less scent than normal. She keeps ordering, so I must be doing something right.

Beeswax candles actually clean the air (this supposedly came from a nun, so it must be true ;) ).

That doesn't sound right, nor do I believe that negative ion thing that you sometimes read about. I've NEVER found the scientific study for that - the closest I got was a dead end long ago that referenced some paper - in Japanese - then searched for that paper and never found it - not that I would know if I had :)

Trust me, you can wick a 100% BW to soot like crazy so if its soot that bothers people - they would be allergic to a badly wicked BW candle too :)

You did see the wink, right Henry? I don't believe it either.

Nor do I believe the claims that I have heard from some soy candle makers (at shows, not on this board) that soy candles are safe for people with allergies. Any improperly wicked candle will soot, and if they are scented you run the risk of someone having a sneezing fit over some fragrance or component of a fragrance like Angela's stepfather.

Yeah if soy were allergin free I know a few people who would argue that :tongue2:

I don't think it's the waxes at all, but the stuff put into the candle that triggers the allergic reactions.

I sneeze and sneeze and sneeze away at midsummer's night. I get clogged up and headachy pouring hayrack ride. It's gotta be in the FOs that triggers the reactions, because when wax stands alone I'm fine.

You did see the wink, right Henry? I don't believe it either.

Oh yes, wasn't being confrontational at all and didn't mean it that way :)

I just think its funny that every time I read that its either on or linked somehow to/from BW candle sellers!

LOL! Wish I could say I think I'm allergic to some things, but hay, cow/bull and horse shit, along with cottonwoods in bloom, bee stings and certain medications do me in continuously.

As for peeps who've had the reactions to soy, yeah I'd they were thinking they had it when their eyes teared uncontrollably and their eye lids swelled shut. Now soy on its own shouldn't do that. Wax on its own shouldn't do that, so if an FO isn't doing that, ya think it's glass? :tongue2:

Our pastors's wife thought it would be a great idea to like one of my candle in the large sanctuary one Sunday Morning. Turns out several people in both the congrigation and the Worship team were alergic because people were sneezing and tearing up. Hazel quickly blew out the candle and aploigized. People, even on the other side of the room were smellin' it and tearing up and sneezing. It was Hyacinths from Peaks!:grin2: And yes, it was a soy candle. She loves them!:D

i have allergies to alot of things and candles don't bother me except last fall i was pouring fall harvest and had the worse attack ever and grandbaby couldn't breathe when cherry berry was around but no other scent has ever affected me or him

Edit:by the way i've poured soy with no reaction and i use paraffin now

Im wondering then scented ,if the essentials oils that smell like flowers, herbs, certain foods that people ARE allergic to, that creats a reaction to the smell of the candle. And that a paraffin that uses a synthetic oil, people "think" they are allergic to that scent,food,herb, flower, and have a automatic reaction?

obviously Im not allergic to very many things....just apples,grapes or raisins, but only when I eat them.

This is what I wondered too. The FO isn't actually made with anything natural is it?

My MIL swears she is allergic to my Honeysuckle candle because she is allergic to flowers.

I would think that If people can have an allergy to vegtables, and they do, there could be allergies to any vegtable wax derived from them. Petroleum products certinaly can cause an allergic reaction, so that wax could be responsible. FO is made up from multiple chemicals and the more additives something has will increase the likelyhood of an allergy. I believe the most common culprit would be the FO.

JMO, Elapid---<

I poured Hillbilly homebrew today and had an asthma attack 10 min. later. As for the FO not containing the actual things that people are allergic to I agree. I believe they have none of the orignal products in them. I am allergic to mold and mildew and I am sure that is not in Hillbilly homebrew. So I do believe it is the FO that set some people off.You really dont know what chemicals are in them. I have never had a problem with any of the scents and yes I pour with a resperator outside and this one still got me. Smells great but wont make that one again. Just thought I would share.

This is what I wondered too. The FO isn't actually made with anything natural is it?

My MIL swears she is allergic to my Honeysuckle candle because she is allergic to flowers.

There can be essential oils and natural compounds in them along with the synthetic stuff. Depends on the scent, the grade, the perfumist that designed it, whatever.

I don't doubt that there can be a psychological component to it. Just check out some of the antihistamine commercials they run in the fall. I don't particularly suffer from allergies but just watching some of those commercials makes my nose itch.

My sister can not burn paraffin candles. She can burn soy candles and beeswax candles...and there are only a handful of fragrances that she can tolerate. She has pretty severe allergies as well as other people that I know that can only do soy or beeswax. My sister can't burn paraffin whether scented or not...can't even use any lotions or anything that has petroleum or petrolatum in it. So I do believe that people can be allergic to paraffin. And with her sensitivity, I would also argue that one can be allergic to any number of the ingredients that go into the FO.

Just my 2 cents

Guest candelecandlecompany
Just wondering,because I thought that was one of soys attributes,that people werent allergic to soy or is it the essential oils?

We have a neighbor who wanted to roder 30 candles from us. As soon as we told her we are a soy only manufacturer, she retracted her order saying she is allergic to soy. I told her that most people order from us because of the clean burning candles we make. She told us that approx. 1% of the population is allergic to soy. We never knew that.

Candele Candle Company

Soy is a legume and is closely related to peanuts. There are many with soy allergies (one of the top 7 allergies in the US, I think) - in fact by law it is prominantly noted on food labels along with milk, wheat, and peanuts among others.

I have a customer that has bought several scents from me in the past year with no problem. then last week he baught a candle with Green leaf's Maduro. He loved it as well as his wife and daughter but his wife and daughter got an awful headache and couldn't stop sneezing. he put the candle out and they were better. I use J223.

I am allergic to mold and mildew and I am sure that is not in Hillbilly homebrew.

Well just in case don't pour This Old House from TCS cause that's just what it smells like. IMO And I do think some FO have real stuff in them cause I have gotten some cinnamon on my finger and in my mouth. It taste sweet and cinnamoneee plus ucky.