what kind of wax do you use?

I am just starting out and noticed everyone seems to have a preference. I just want to get an idea of what others use. I know it will take me a while to find one for me. I want highly fragerenced candles. I love having my home smell amazing!

I keep seeing waxs on here but I don't understand all the numbers and letters in them. Thanks for everyones help thus far. This site has helped me so much already!!

Sherri

You didn't mention if you want to do free-standing (pillars, votives, tapers) or container candles. Do you want to use paraffin, soy, or a blend? Unfortunately you really are going to have to just buy small samples of what you think you may like after doing a lot of reading on this board. (Don't rush out and buy tons of waxes first - take the time to research and see what people like and don't like about each - also looking in the gallery can be of help because you can see the possibilities).

Here is a link to a very good thread that a member did comparing four container waxes: http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17483

A good matrix for just one company is at http://www.igiwax.com/downloads/EZPour%20Product%20Comparison%20020206.pdf Many suppliers also have their own blends.

I'm sure many people will chime in with favorites of their own. For containers I use (at the moment) a soy/paraffin blend because its easy to clean out the containers afterwards and combines the best of both worlds IMO, but I use beeswax for most pillars and tapers, and also paraffin for pillars because of its versatility when I want a certain decorative look.

HTH a little.

I use the same wax that Von uses, J-50..anyone who ever bought a candle from me just love them, but I am going to test JS123, its coming Monday. Also new fo...that has a lot to do with your candles scent also. Gotta try all kinds of FO's. I never dreamed I would spend so much money on this hobby, but I love it! :D

I buy my wax from One Stop Candle, because I like the convience of the wax pellets. I use 140 Melt Point Paraffin. It is a lot easier for me than breaking up all the slabs.

If anyone knows of another place that sells the pellets I would be more than happy to check it out.

I like the palm wax from Candlewic and the soy, from Millcreek soy.

Just my thoughts.

Hi, Be prepared, as candle making is HIGHLY addictive :D . I started with EcoSoya Advanced Soy wax for containers but I was unhappy with the frosting issue and I wanted a stronger scent throw, hot and cold . So I switched to a 50-50 blend (50% soy 50% parafin), I buy it at Just Scents, it's the JSB-1 50-50 blend container wax and I have been EXTREMELY HAPPY with the switch, no more frosting and excellent scent throws! This is my personal choice and you will find alot of different choices available to you so I agree do some research and when you decide what you want you will need to do ALOT of testing!!! AND be prepared to spend some money as fragrance oils are also highly addictive :) AND have fun!!

Beverly

I am eagerly awaiting some of the items I have ordered. Cant start untill I get them. They should have been here about 2 weeks ago. I found out the seller hadnt even mailed them out yet. So he did so on fri. Hopefully they come soon. Cant wait.

I have already bought A lot of stuff. That way I can do some dabbling!!

I am eagerly awaiting some of the items I have ordered. Cant start untill I get them. They should have been here about 2 weeks ago. I found out the seller hadnt even mailed them out yet. So he did so on fri. Hopefully they come soon. Cant wait.

I have already bought A lot of stuff. That way I can do some dabbling!!

WOW TWO WEEKS where do you live?did you buy from here or a supplier?if it is a supplier wow i would find another one fast.lol lol:D

I have been using a Soy/Paraffin blend, but just switched to a 60/40 mix of IGI 4627 (Comfort Blend) and IGI 4786 (Classic Blend). Burning my first test candle with it now (Blueberry Cobbler) and it has an outstanding cold and hot throw. I get my supplies from Candle Science and BCN.

Good Luck! :D

I am new at candles. I use a 50-50 blend wax and I am having a problem with hot throw, You cannot smell the candle until you are right next to it. My supplier tells me that the wax can hold a fragrance load of 12% and I am now at 12% and the fragrance still does not fill the room. My candle has wonderful cold throw. Can anyone help???

IMO it depends totally on what wax and whose FOs. I use a blend of 223/soy, and 6006 for my tins. Some FOs do not throw for me at all, JS, Natures Garden, and some knock your socks off @ 8%. I use oils from BC, BCS, Lone Star, WSP, Day Star, Taylored. I think it is the right combo that makes a great candle.

Thanks. I live in Tx and I bought my FO & wax from a local supplier. So far I have tried Honeydew, Tulips, Stargazer Lily, & Melon Patch and all throw lightly at 12%. The only thing that I can get to throw hot is Creme Brulee at 10%. My supplier claims that their FOs are undiluted but not sure. Are these FOs typically just light fragrances?

I would have thought the same thing about the throw with lighter scents. I am going to try a different supplier and maybe different wax. Thanks for the help.

You may want to check and see if you used the correct % (we all do bad math sometimes, lol). Also, how long did you let the candles cure, did you fully incorporate the oil into the wax and did you possibly have candle-nose when you burned them? Check your wicking too because that can contribute to scent throw :)

I would have thought the same thing about the throw with lighter scents. I am going to try a different supplier and maybe different wax. Thanks for the help.

AHHHHH...not another bizzy. There is now me, mizbizzyb, beckie Bizzyb's, now bizzyb.....

oh more confusion.

Sorry bizzy... Didnt mean to take your name.

As far as the candle nose, I had some one else to test them as well and they could not smell them either unless they were right next to the candle. As far as my wick goes I am using 51-32-18 with zinc core, and I am using it in an 8oz jelly jar. Again I am new and this is what the supplier told me to use. Live and learn.

Welcome to the wonderful world of candles!!! Well I have finally settled on several waxes...a mix of J223 and C-3 for containers...not very many wet spots and great scent throw...Astrolight PQ for pillars and votives...and 6228 for my tarts...after trying the Astrolite and 6228 in all 3 catagories I found that the above works best for me...

If you have a laundry room....:D wellllll....it wont be that for long (dont ask me how I know;) )

• 1 year later...