$1.00 Square mason candles

I saw a lady at the Dollar General Store the other day with a whole cart full. That's why I noticed them. She bought all of the strawberry ones they had. I had to go find them and check them out. Some of them did smell good. Some of them didn't! But for 1.00 ,,,, that's hard to compete with. They also had 16 oz. jars and larger.. I almost bought one to see if you could smell it after you lit it. But, I didn't. I just hoped it's like the old saying... YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!

Jennifer, I bet I know exactly which ones you are talking about! :wink2:

I've seen 'em, I've noticed that some are half filled, wicks way off center and FO/dye seeping on top. I think they are from Old Williamsburg or something like that.

It almost makes it hard to explain to a customer why we charge what we do for a square mason, when they can get it for $1....until they burn ours vs. theirs.

I did buy one a while back, and it did have a pretty good throw, but it smoked, threw off lots of soot and left major hangup. So, yep, you get what you pay for! :D

I've seen similar ones here in Arkansas but it doesn't look like good quality wax and the wicks are usually cockeyed. Some do smell good but others are really bad. Could these be seconds or defective in some way and that's why they sell at this kind of price. Those are prices from "the good old days". Ginger

:undecided I hate to be a pain..but what do guys charge for a 1/2 pint jelly jar? I just started this and was selling them for 5$, BECAUSE I was just learning, but now I am buying more stuff and better stuff and I think I need to raise my price, what do you all think? I live in a small town and sell mostly to friends. Any oopinions on this? Dee

Hey Snow! I see you are from Ohio, too. I'm relatively new as well. I have been making 8oz JJ with 100% soy since last winter. I have sold some, mostly to family and some of my husband's co-workers. I sell mine for $6.00. Family gets a discount. I have had a few people think that is high, but if they knew the time that it takes for me to do it, I don't think they would say anything.

Paula:cool2:

Jennifer, I bet I know exactly which ones you are talking about! :wink2:

I've seen 'em, I've noticed that some are half filled, wicks way off center and FO/dye seeping on top. I think they are from Old Williamsburg or something like that.

It almost makes it hard to explain to a customer why we charge what we do for a square mason, when they can get it for $1....until they burn ours vs. theirs.

I did buy one a while back, and it did have a pretty good throw, but it smoked, threw off lots of soot and left major hangup. So, yep, you get what you pay for! :D

That's when you keep that burned jar and show your customers how the cheap candles burn. Then you have a burned candle of yours to show them how your candles burn compaired to the cheap ones.

I do this in my store, I buy candles in my area from cheap to higher priced name brand and burn them. Then I keep them on display and label them where they come from and the price. I also have a display of my burned candles to show the difference. Theries has hang-up and black soot and most have no hot throw. Mine burn completely with little to no black soot with great cold and hot throw.

I sell mine for $6.00. Family gets a discount. I have had a few people think that is high, but if they knew the time that it takes for me to do it, I don't think they would say anything.
You could also let them know how many hours it lasts. Often it only works out to something like 10 cents an hour, and when they realize that, they may feel it's not so expensive after all.

CandleMan - Funny you should say that, because I have kept it, and I've taken pics of their candle and my candle side by side. You can obviously see the differences.

I too tend to purchase other "higher end" candles and well known name brands just to burn for research purposes and to show potential customers the difference in real life, I find it's much easier than trying to explain what melt pool, hangup, tunneling, etc. is to consumers.

It's good to know that others do this as well, and that it's not considered bad business practices.

CandleMan - Funny you should say that, because I have kept it, and I've taken pics of their candle and my candle side by side. You can obviously see the differences.

I too tend to purchase other "higher end" candles and well known name brands just to burn for research purposes and to show potential customers the difference in real life, I find it's much easier than trying to explain what melt pool, hangup, tunneling, etc. is to consumers.

It's good to know that others do this as well, and that it's not considered bad business practices.

It can be bad business if you put down the other candles. I don't say anything bad about other candles I just burn them then show my customers side by side comparison the difference between mine and the others. That makes them buy mine over the others.

You could also let them know how many hours it lasts. Often it only works out to something like 10 cents an hour, and when they realize that, they may feel it's not so expensive after all.

LOL! Great minds think alike. That's exactly what I tell my customers. :laugh2:

old williamsburg candles are also sold through dollar general,

They say 5 oz on the label. The jar is a bit smaller than regular square mason and if you melt one and check out the jar you can see that it has a thick bottom. Our vendors mall carries them.

Several people change the label and carry them for baskets. They have a huge frag list and change with the seasons.

Are those the ones from "Our Own Candle Co"? I saw this manufacturer at an antique store last year in Maine but they were in those handle mason jars. The guy was so proud of them as he got them at a trade show and everyone was swarming all over them. Last month I saw them on a dollar store supplier site that I have access to for .50¢..yeah that's a quality candle alright!!! lmao

I was in the line at the grocery store' date=' look up, and they have square mason candles for $1.00, they smelled yummy!! But for $1.00?? They looked to be half way filled though, from a manf. in NY. Has anyone seen these?[/quote']

I haven't sold many of them, but I sell for $8 here. Shipping costs put my costs so high. Most of the folks around here want preserve or gel candles from me. So many of the kids do candle fundraisers that most are "forced" to buy so don't care for more plain jar candles.

You know, it's not just the cheapie candles that burn poorly and have no hot throw. I just bought a couple of higher end candles whose cold throw was fantastic and they smelled divine, so when I went to burn them I was dumbfounded that there was no hot throw!

You know, it's not just the cheapie candles that burn poorly and have no hot throw. I just bought a couple of higher end candles whose cold throw was fantastic and they smelled divine, so when I went to burn them I was dumbfounded that there was no hot throw!

I have tested some higher end candles with the same results.

I purchased one of those $1 square masons at Deals Nothing Over a Dollar right before Easter. It was scented cherry and smelled divine. I just HAD to see how it burned. Hot throw was "okay," nothing to write home about, but about halfway through the candle, the wick pootered out. Deader than a doornail. I melted the wax out and used the jar to pour my own candle!!

I actually bought a couple of the 8oz sq. mason jars last winter...long befroe I even new what a good candle was! LOL! The only one that I really like was the strawberry..it was good and strong. None of the others were anything to brag about.;)

I've seen those jars too they're just a little shorter than the square Mason I sell. Mine are $5.50 wholesale and $10.00 retail. I fill them to the top so they have about 9oz. of wax. I have been using this jar for several years and I'm getting tired of them. Just hate to start testing again plus these jars are cheap for me cause I get them local and don't have to pay shipping. Sure wish there was another wholesale jar supplier in my area.