Don't try This At Home!!!!!

eugenia

I've been soaping for over 2 years. Don't know exactly what happened yesterday but it was hot as hell and I must have had raw soap on my glove as I wiped my brow. This was a first for me. I knew as soon as it happened and splashed my face in the sink.

We have a lot of new soapers and I thought I'd share the dangers of lye/raw soap. Soap gear is not a guarantee. This stuff burns!

e

lyeburn.jpg

Goodness, after that cherry cobbler stuff you posted a while back, I didn't know WHAT to expect. :tongue2: Certainly not this - OY. That looks painful. Good thing it wasn't your eye.

I've had that knee jerk reaction to wipe at my forehead or hair before and have to remind myself of what might happen if I did. Ouch. Thanks for the reminder.

OMG Eugenia! :shocked2:

That was unfortunate to say the least. But it was a noble thing of you to actually show people what lye can do to even an experienced soaper. Lye is extremely caustic and can do severe damage to the skin in a VERY short time. I hope your burn heals quickly and there are NO MORE instances like that for you or anyone else making soap.

Oh My Goodness.... I bet that did hurt. You were sure to put emu on it right away right? Would think that would help slightly with the pain... I know it does for any other burn I get. Thanks for sharing although I've stopped making lye soap for a while due to the heat in Texas and Load of school work I have to do I'll defanitely keep this in mind for next time i make it. Note to newbie soap makers keep a big bottle of Vinegar around EVERY TIME you make soap. It reverses the process of the lye eating at your skin. Hope it gets better and isn't hurting anymore. Glad to hear the soap turned out good.

HUGS

Dang. I always make sure that I take out my contacts and wear my glasses when I soap. I can't stand the goggles. I don't usually wear gloves because I've gotten raw soap on my hands and arms and I've never gotten burned.

Thanks for the picture. It brings it all into perspective just what the lye can do. I'll wear gloves from now on.

Yow! That got you pretty good didn't it. It's really easy to get complaisant with the safety precautions - I've found myself soaping without safety glasses and it's stupid.

LOL I can see us in 10 years, all showing our lye scars to the new soapers. Kind of like the scene in Jaws :)

Yeouch!!! That looks like it was stinging pretty bad. :shocked2: When I made my first batch of soap I got some on my arm and that is what my arm looked like when I got the lye soap on it. It didn't discourage me in the least to keep making soap. ;)

Glad you are okay.:)