Anybody successfully wicked apothecaries? (story inside)

7Angela7

I just recently sold some container candles to a co-worker of mine. She saw me today and stopped me. She said if it was possible to single wick the jars, because the jar gets so hot. We were interrupted so I had to leave. When I went back & talked to her, I asked her how long she was burning the candles for. She said all day long! I asked if she ever blew them out, let them cool, then relighted, she said no, she just let it continue to burn for the entire day. I asked if the wicks were lopsided, she said yes - told her why the container was extremely hot. She said the container (10 oz.) was basically all liquid, but she loves that, because she thinks it's neat to be able to look through the glass :shocked2: I've marathon burned to see what it would do if somebody were to do like she has, and the glass was extremely hot! I told that she is NOT supposed to be burning a candle like that - that is why I put a warning on the bottom. She said that that's how she burns her candles, because she likes having her house smell good all day. Kinda jokingly I told her she's banned from buying my candles anymore if she's gonna burn them like that. She said she has a Wal-Mart candle, made in about the same kind of jar as mine, and it's single wicked and the glass doesn't get hot. I asked her if it tunneled or if there is a lot of soot, she stated she didn't think so, but she is going to be bringing that candle in to me tomorrow.

When I first started testing these jars, I tried all kinds of wicks, the same ones numerous times because I really really wanted to single wick, but it just wasn't happening. Has anybody been able to do so & get a good burn?

Thanks!

I think there may a few peeps who have been successful at single wicking these types of jars but I still have not and continue to double wick which does make the jar get hotter but it should not be let to burn all day like that I have tried with differerent wicks burning them all day and never could get a complete MP always had quite a bit of hang up or if I could get a full MP then it would smoke & soot like crazy. Some say cutting back on the fo and/or dye helps but to me then the scent throw just isn't as strong. I dunno I wish I could help ya

I never had a lot of luck double wicking, let alone single wicking those dang jars. Seems I get soot with most any type of wicking I use in those jars, and I am anal about soot :angry2:

I have some oils that I can double wick very well, but others I can't, so I gave up on them since I don't want to pick and choose my oils by the jar I use.

Guest ShellyRobyn

Although I don't use the apothocary jars anymore, when I was there were only 2 or 3 FO's that I was able to single wick. The rest I had to double wick but the jars were so darned thick, they didn't get too hot. I just hated double wicking!

I make 16 oz Apothecaries all the time. The only way I have been able to get a full melt pool was with two 44z. I have tried one 60z and one 62z nothing worked for me. I use half j50/ half j223 and have tried every wick imaginable. The only thing I can think of is that Walmart brand candle is some funky type of wax that I havent used.

I double wick my apoths too. I tried every damn wick and wick combo out there, plus have tested a ton of waxes, and I keep going back to the double wick. I can say though, that if they are burning all day with only the 10 oz one, then with that being so shallow, that is why it is getting so hot. My 16 and 26 oz ones do not get all that hot at all. Not any different than the 9 oz hex. What size wicks did you use to double wick? Could you of used some smaller sizes to help with the heat that is coming from it? May be a thought.......

What size wicks did you use to double wick? Could you of used some smaller sizes to help with the heat that is coming from it? May be a thought.......

I used RRD-34....to me, I don't think that is very large to get the glass really hot.

I use Lone Star's 10 and 16 oz apoths and double wick them both. I use bittercreek north's 44-20 in the 10 oz and 44-32 in the 16 oz. I am going to try out the low smoke ones next to see if I can cut down of the smoking I get with the wax I am using.

Have you seen that there is going to be a double wick EZ setter out this week? http://www.ezwicksystem.com/default.asp?C=1&S=E3&Document=EZ+Wick+Setter&NID=2 232277

It could be the end to all my double wick misplacements! YAY!

hmm...and here I cant get the things to double wick for the life of me because it was getting way to hot, creating a huge melt pool and leaving my wax scentless. I had to drop down to a single wick on my 16oz's . I am getting a decent melt pool and no hang up and good throw with a 62-52-18z , am going to try a HTP105 and see what I like better. This is using 4786 with 6% FO.

• 1 month later...

Ok, this is kind of an old thread, but I'm needing to try and single wick my 20oz. apoths, and did a search and found this thread. ;)

Currently I'm test burning an LX 30 in my apoth right now, and it's been burning for about 2 hours and my mp is a little less than 1/2" from the edge, so this MAY BE a go, I'll give it another couple of hours and see. ;)

I really really want to be able to single wick these jars, for just the reason that Angela stated, a LOT of people just light their candles and let them burn all day long (I've been known to do this too before I started making my OWN candles LOL), and I just hate worrying about the double wicking when someone else is burning them KWIM?

I mean, we know how to baby our candles, but most everyone else just wants a candle to make their house smell good, and therefore they are clueless, unfortunately.

I'll keep ya posted on this candle/wick......

I single wick my 10 oz and 16 oz apoths. I was determined to make it work. ;) After going through a bazillion wick and FO combos I settled on a LX 24 wick. There is a variance among FOs in how fast it takes to get a full melt pool but have yet to find one that didn't get there in a reasonable amount of time. I should mention that I pour soy and soy blends. HTH

I am wondering why everyone has chosen zinc when cotton core is hotter? I can single wick many fragrances using a 60-44-18 C

On the harder to burn fragrances, Wicks Unlimited has an awesome wick out numbered: FW 3x34 HM

You CAN single wick, don't give up!! Oh..and I pour HOT and use a soy with a meltpoint of 127 (a bit higher than most)

I always single wick my apoth jars. I use the 10 and 16oz jars. I was using the 60 series zinc but switched over to 105 HTP wicks. I tried the HTP 1212, but it burns off the FO too quick, unless you have a really strong scent. The 105's so far has a nice melt pool, and good throw. HTH