organizing the FO's

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I go by ABC's on a big old ciggy display. The shelves are deep enough to hold 4# of each scent. I think I have about 7 shelves in the display. I have some scents for B&B that I keep with the B&B stuff and if i use a scent for candles and B&B its with the candle scents. I found this works the best for me. I have an order sheet that I print out with all the suppliers listed and the scents that I get from each one. I take inventory of what I have on hand and then make up an order. Never miss anything that way and you know what you have on hand all the time. If i only had a few suppilers, I might just go by supplier. (20+ suppliers I keep track of) Bruce

I keep my stored in alphabetical order in one of my cupboards. On the door of the cupboard, I have a sheet with the name of each supplier I use and which fragrances I order from them. When I use the last of the fragrance, I know exactly where to reorder it from.

Mine are by supplier and then in ABC order.. Well, kinda by supplier. If it comes in a bottle like NG's, they are all in abc order. If it comes in a dark bottle or glass like peaks, they are grouped in ABC order together.

I was thinking about this too...I'm getting the whole garage converted to my workshop this weekend and I'm the MOST unorganized person ever. I was hoping to move my supplies into the garage and actually START OFF organized.

I mainly only use about 4 suppliers, so I think I'll start by supplier. I can't decide if I want to do alphabetically or by "type" (fruity, floral, bakery). UGH I need someone to come do it for me!!

You have space? What's that and where can I get some?

See that's my problem too - I just don't have much space. The more space I get, the more FOs and supplies I buy. I do try to keep mine organized, but I've come to the conclusion, it's (my addiction) bigger than me. I have FO's on a shelf, somewhat organized although that somewhat never lasts long once I get in there and start working and moving stuff. I also have FOs in boxes and on my work bench. They are just taking over the place.

I was thinking about this too...I'm getting the whole garage converted to my workshop this weekend and I'm the MOST unorganized person ever. I was hoping to move my supplies into the garage and actually START OFF organized.

I mainly only use about 4 suppliers, so I think I'll start by supplier. I can't decide if I want to do alphabetically or by "type" (fruity, floral, bakery). UGH I need someone to come do it for me!!

I'm telling you Trish, now that you will have a bigger space,you'll just buy more. Kind of like the concept the more money you have, the more money you spend. But don't worry, it's just a part of this addiction and its all good. ;)

I'm telling you Trish, now that you will have a bigger space,you'll just buy more. Kind of like the concept the more money you have, the more money you spend. But don't worry, it's just a part of this addiction and its all good. ;)

ROFL! So true, so true!! I think the cabinet thing-y I'm going to be storing my oils in will actually have room left over after I put my current stock in there. Soooo, that means I can buy MORE oils!! :yay:

I know what you mean. I got a whole new workshop at the beginning of the year - over 600 square feet and I've already outgrown it. It's my fault because I just keep buying more stuff and trying more new things. The addiction grows while the space gets smaller. Now I can't imagine being crammed into that little room that I used to use as my workshop.

Mine are on lazy susans in a cupboard so I can spin until I find the one I'm looking for. I try to keep them in alphabetical order but they get a little mixed up. They do stay in their alpha groups though...A-L on one lazy susan, M-Z on the other. ;)

This sounds like an excellent idea. Thanks for sharing.

How about sorting by Supplier then Alphabetically BUT with different coloured stickers on top representing "type". I know, I know, you're thinking, "How sad is that, doesn't this girl have a life?" Well, to vindicate myself I would just like to add that I haven't actually gotten around to doing this myself - my fo's are in a real mess but I do have orderly ideas. LOL.

How about sorting by Supplier then Alphabetically BUT with different coloured stickers on top representing "type". I know, I know, you're thinking, "How sad is that, doesn't this girl have a life?" Well, to vindicate myself I would just like to add that I haven't actually gotten around to doing this myself - my fo's are in a real mess but I do have orderly ideas. LOL.

LOL :-)

All my friends laugh at me because I am so anally organized but it saves me time.

For my fo's I have an overhead shelf and I put them all in boxes by category. On the front of the box (each box holds either 9 or 12 bottles) I write the scent on the front of the box where the bottle is inside. so on the front of the box it looks like this

xxxx xxxxx xxxx

xxxx xxxx xxxx

xxxxx xxxx xxxx

That way since they are overhead I can just reach in and grab them without pulling the box down.

The second thing I do is similar to Bruce. I have a checklist with all scents by manufacturer. If I am ordering from someone I just double check those scents on the sheet. I also add notes to the sheet about samples I might want to try so when I place an order I do not forget to order samples at the same time.

HTH,

All my friends laugh at me because I am so anally organized but it saves me time.

For my fo's I have an overhead shelf and I put them all in boxes by category. On the front of the box (each box holds either 9 or 12 bottles) I write the scent on the front of the box where the bottle is inside. so on the front of the box it looks like this

xxxx xxxxx xxxx

xxxx xxxx xxxx

xxxxx xxxx xxxx

That way since they are overhead I can just reach in and grab them without pulling the box down.

The second thing I do is similar to Bruce. I have a checklist with all scents by manufacturer. If I am ordering from someone I just double check those scents on the sheet. I also add notes to the sheet about samples I might want to try so when I place an order I do not forget to order samples at the same time.

HTH,

Wow, this is a great idea... How much do you charge to come organize?? LOL

I found that all the organization you can muster up will NOT last when you have a busy business :P

Mine are in two categories, Bakery and Other Stuff. LOL!

I can understand this! While I don't have a business, once I start making soap or candles, by the time I'm done all my nicely organized stuff is in a mess again. I do wish there was some kind of magic way to keep it organized. I have these huge plastic bins from walmart...all nicely labeled and such. However not enough floor space in the garage, so they end up getting stacked. Well, guess what happens when you need something out of one of the bottom bins? :eek:

I recently tried my hand at organizing the FOs.

The first thing I did was go through all the oils and with real pain in my heart and eliminated every single bottle that I know deep down I do not like and do not want to ever pour or add to my lines. Now that was easier said than done with you are a true fragrance addict. Evil thoughts run through your head like "Someday, some mystery person that I LOVE and might want to give a gift to will just LOVE Sex On The Beach" That "saving for a rainy day" will keep you unorganized and junked up regardless of how proud you are of your ever growing "collection".

I got rid of 4 boxes of oils....well over 150 bottles...and even though I didn't really want them anymore, there is no way I could trash them. I called a friend and MADE HER DAY! I told her if she threw any away, not to tell me about it. I "think" they went to a worthy cause, and they are out of my way.

NOW, I am organized.

C'Mon...I KNOW you are ALL collectors!:P Start with one...it gets easier!

C'Mon...I KNOW you are ALL collectors!:P Start with one...it gets easier!

I am in the same process as we speak. I am eliminating alot of these fly by night oils and cutting my regular soy line down to around 60 scents. I would like to keep it at 40, but that won't happen right away. You just can't please everyone. I really need to cut back on the impulse buying. Discipline I lack.... LOL!!!

I will have to pull up this study I read concerning how many sales 2 different people made with a variety of different scents/flavors. It was actually amazing that the person with the LESS amount of choices made almost double the sales. The person with the MOST amount of choices had double the traffic in their booth, but only half the sales. Just some food for thought.