organizing the FO's

Hey everyone-

Wasn't quite sure where to post this one. Hubby just created a new workshop for me--yippee, after years of being crammed into what felt like a closet. Anyway I finally have the space to really organize my FO's---I have a huge old dresser with nice deep drawers to use.....anyway-am looking for suggestions on organizing the FO's to actually find them when I need them--do you all sort by supplier or alphabetically or by seasonal stuff..

Suggestions are greatly appreciated...

Tracey

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine are all crammed into a cupboard right now too and some are in boxes stashed under my work bench---after searching and searching last night for one FO in particular-still can't find it-I thought I'd come ask the experts on the board------

Tracey

Not sure how to suggest that you organize. I do have a tip I'd like to share though. If all you can see is the tops of your bottles when they're in a drawer, get some round labels that would be the right size for your caps. Write the name of the oil on the label and put the label on top of the cap. That way, you don't have to pick up every bottle to find the oil you're looking for. You know that no matter which oil you're looking for or where you start, it will always be the last bottle you look at.

:D

Not sure how to suggest that you organize. I do have a tip I'd like to share though. If all you can see is the tops of your bottles when they're in a drawer, get some round labels that would be the right size for your caps. Write the name of the oil on the label and put the label on top of the cap. That way, you don't have to pick up every bottle to find the oil you're looking for. You know that no matter which oil you're looking for or where you start, it will always be the last bottle you look at.

:D

Great idea. I segregate the fo's according to fruits, bakery,herbal,floral etc.

Mine are on lazy susans in a cupboard so I can spin until I find the one I'm looking for. I try to keep them in alphabetical order but they get a little mixed up. They do stay in their alpha groups though...A-L on one lazy susan, M-Z on the other. ;)

You know, I hadn't thought about how to identify the bottles in the drawers--oh great--now what????? Just kidding---the label thing is a good idea for that---that's why I come to this board....everyone has hints and a little different take on some things....

I like the lazy susan idea too-but can see myself spinning them right off if I am in a hurry or really searching for something.

Thanks for all the help and comments.....

Tracey

:cool2::cheesy2: :cheesy2: :cheesy2:

:rolleyes2 We recently moved our business into a "workshop" at a rental place; we arranged ours alphabetically and it works great! We can quickly check for reorders when we need to,etc. We also got one of those mini-drawer organizers for screws, etc. and alphabetically organized and labeled all of our colors...it really speeds things up when we are making, no more fumbling around for the right color or scent. I'm not so good at the organization, but my partner keeps me in line in that area! Good luck!

trendy

Sounds like you guys are organized or at least try to be so====I have so many scents now that everything just gets put in the cupboard when it comes in---time to eliminate some as I have a ton of new ones coming....

I do the same with my colors---in a drawer organizer--it does help a lot for those.....wicks is another story----

Thanks again

tracey

I've tried all sorts of different ways, none work for long. I started with organizing them by page on my website (basically into herbal, fruity, foody...).

Then I tried alphabetical (oh man, now I've got to move them all cuz I just bought something starting with C).

Then I started having the problem of candle scents, b&b scents, EOs....

Now I do it by supplier. That way if I've got to order something, its easy for me to check if I have anything else getting low so I can add it to the order.

I like the supplier idea-then maybe alphabetical after that, but I can see and know how they can become unorganized after a while......

Now, just to get everything moved into the room that's not already there and get that organized--haha!!!!

Thanks

Tracey

Just cramming them all on the same shelf wherever there is room doesn't sound like a good plan, does it?

Nothing works for me, and I'm an organized freak. I've tried alphabetical, and like Robin... had to resort when I got a "C" in. Then, I tried by supplier, but that sucked too... by scent doesn't work as it doesn't register in my head. Right now I just sort tallest to smallest and remember where they are or the general vacinity. All my samples are in two large plastic containers.

If you have several suppliers you'll find it more cost efficient to organize by supplier then alphabetically. Nothing is more frustrating than reordering scents from a supplier only to realize you forgot a scent. Keeping a notebook of your suppliers can come in handy. If you've read a review on a particular scent that you want to try note it under your supplier's list for the next time you need to place an order from that supplier. Also noting other supplies for example wicks, colorants etc. when they are running low. Add any supplies that might be running low and check the shopping cart you might find might find that ordering supplies a head of time doesn't increase the shipping and if it does it might only be a dollar or two. It's a good way to keep shipping costs down and we all know shipping has gone thru the roof over the last few years.