Is this crazy or what

Tara

Ok we all think it is crazy because we know that we can match it or make it or whatever.

I understand the need for it though and you all should too. I am sure some of you have customers that can't live with out a certain scent. Just a few minutes ago I read a post that said something like "my customers would shoot me if I didn't carry some others".

People that know nothing about candle making or know nothing about hand made candles DON'T KNOW. They think they will never find it again!

My best friend had been living out in Indiana and did not know I was making candles when she found out that YankMe was retiring her favorite scent. She went on e-bay and bought tarts. She did not pay an insane amount of money for them but she didn't even know what they were. She is a highly intelligent person and very frugal. She doesn't spend money on anything really. She was so in love with the scent though that she bought something with out knowing what it was. (ofcourse I later found the FO and had to doctor it up a little for her, but we made a bunch of candles for her)

If I didn't know better and I really liked it I would pay more for it too!

American's spend tons of money on thier sense of smell! We should know that !

I think I'm usually kind of circumspect with my remarks around here, but...

It is absolutely BEYOND me to understand what kind of LAME-BRAINS would treat some mediocre mass-produced candle as a collector's item just because the company has taken some freakin cheap FO out of their product line! :eek:

Phew. I'm better now.

Of course if Hi-C ever stops making Florida Punch I'll be ready to shell out some serious dough.

I understand paying for something you want, and if you like a candle scent that much but $128...that is insane. I want that client base. If it was perfume, then I'd understand, but to make your kitchen smell like caramel...can't be hard to duplicate, it's not like it's one of their "original" scents, like the Ivy & Roses, or something like that. Once again, I want a client base like that, because I'd be retiring some of my scents every 2 months. LOL

I just remembered that before I started making candles, I shelled out like $20 bucks on one the *small* yankee jars for a "rare" Buttermilk Pancakes scent. (Ebay) I got it and it STUNK and had no throw. I could kick myself for that now.:lipsrseal

As a Antiques collector/seller..We keep up to date on current trends..and I remember reading (kovel's) article mentioning candles were a collectable item for the furture...I have some old vintage candles.(You know the ones you burn down to the next age level..)These are from the fifty's and in the box...It's part of my soap collection(my airline soaps are my favorite part of my collection)..I will be placeing these in my candle/soap warehouse oneeeee day.Kind of like a mini museum..Kind regards,linda

Geez that is rediculous but you have to hand it to them... they've proven to have a really good scent throw and built up their name. I only hope I can build a name like that at one point in time. Though i'd never charge that much it would make for a very profitable business. HUGS

Oh, it's real alright, but whether the bidder actually winds up paying could be another story.

I peek at ebay every now and then and look at what Yankees are going for. Around Christmastime I saw a 22 oz candle--I think it was called Ribbon Candy or Christmas Candy, I don't remember which, go for $102 (not including shipping). That was for a supposedly "rare" candle. After Christmas I was in the Yankee retail store and saw them on clearance for $10.50!

I wonder if the people who buy them for $100 + will ever burn them.

I hope that candle had gold in it. I have a few candles that I don't even want to burn because I know that I'll never find them again, however, I would not pay $128 for a yankee candle EVER!!!!!! But, if I was oh say oprah rich, I might consider it.:wink2: