Keeping notes

How do you take notes?  

91 members have voted

1. 1. How do you take notes?

• Handwritten in a notebook
    • On the computer
    • Notes? What notes?
    • Other method

I use note books. One for making and one for burning/throw. In my notebook for making I date the top of the page to help keep track. In the notebook for burning I use one page for each candle and log burn times, melt pool, wick trimming, throw etc.

I used to use scraps of paper, but could never find things.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Janette

I use ruled index cards. One for each kind of candle. I note date I poured, supplier of scent(s) I blended, wick size, burn times, how long it takes to get a FMP, etc. Then I file them in a recipe binder with plastic sleeves that are the same size as the cards. Very handy!

I do the same as AJ but don't put them in a plastic sleeve, that's a good idea, cause I've got some wax and oil on a few of mine (actually on a LOT more than a few). I use the larger 4x6 cards, can put more info on them, then bought the alphabet index cards and keep them in a recipe box. I've got three of these darn boxes now, since I've changed wax 3 times, and now I have to start another one for the new wax I'm doing. Sounds crazy, but we all know the work that goes into testing, and how important notes really are, so if I ever decide to go back to one of the other waxes, I'll be set to go.

Ohhh how I respect people with great Organizational skills. In my past lives, I have always had someone to keep me organized....with my new venture...I am on my own!

So far...everything is in Notebooks...which, for the mostpart, I would say is useless, since I, too, have changed wax....so the only thing I care about are the records I have kept with this wax. Too much work to ever toss...but it was a learning experience every step of the way. Amazing how notes change as we go along.

I'm a notes, what notes kind of person. Only because I'm not in the candle business at the moment as I'm still trying to find a wax I like. As soon as I get into doing business it will be a combination of AJ's and Grumpy Girls methods. Except that I keep things backed up on an offsite server as well as a mirrored hard drive on site. These are candles so if I burn down the house I'm likely to lose my puter too so I keep copies of all of my records offsite.

Chris

Can't forget that all important info on each card... "2 drops yellow dye, 2 drops coffee dye" ... etc. Without those notes, I'd be lost on some of my color combos!! 'Cos some of them I worked long and hard to get, and they are WEIRD color combos!

I need to back my notes up to my laptop ... good idear, y'all.

I use those white address labels that are oh-so-cheap at wally world...write the amount and kind of FO, wick and color--stick it right on the jar and when I have decided that it's a keeper I move that info into a database I created on my computer (and make sure it is backed up everytime I update..lol)

Notebook, but am thinking on a different way. Because my 4 oz jelly jar notes are MIA, I can tell somebody ripped that page out.

I'm pretty sure I know who it was, and she'll have a hell of a time trying to do the same thing as I did because she is using a totally different wax.

And since I can't remember which combo I used, I have to retest them again.

Although I do remember I used 2 different wix for several FOs, but can't remember which ones.

Mindy

I have a note-taking template I use. I print out the template and put copies in a 3 ring binder. Then I fill in the template as I work. I actually have two binders. One for my testing notes and one for my exact formulas (which have their own template). So, when pouring orders, I use the formula book and when testing I use the testing notebook.

Got them all in a binder in the plastic sleeves..

I am currently putting all my formula's and information on the computer and downloading to a CD that I keep in a fire proof box with all my important documents.

Ya just never know..Better safe than sorry.:tongue2:

ETS. I have even downloaded all the HTML to my website in case it ever crashes!!

OCD is kicking in!!!:P

I use ruled index cards. One for each kind of candle. I note date I poured, supplier of scent(s) I blended, wick size, burn times, how long it takes to get a FMP, etc. Then I file them in a recipe binder with plastic sleeves that are the same size as the cards. Very handy!

I do the same as AJ - WORKS GREAT !!!:D I used to use a notebook using the date method but I couldn't find some of my scents quick enough so I switched over to the index cards. It made life much easier for me.