I'm gonna quit

I hate to hear such news, but only YOU know what's best for YOU! I've only been aboard a short time, but quickly came to realize what an asset you are to all the people here. I will greatly miss your quick wit and mild sarcasm.;) You added such spice to the board. Take care and good luck with your future endeavors!:cry2:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Cliff, Best of luck with the surgery - with your great optimism and courage (and a smidgeon of help from the surgeons), I'm sure you'll be up and running in no time. As for the candle making, I know that you've thought long and hard about it but maybe quitting isn't the right answer at the moment, how about just cutting back? Lots of people use their kitchens for melting wax so how about just rethinking your candle making on a new, smaller scale. It would be such a shame to totally sell off all your supplies just to find that you get the urge again and have to start over. Of course, you'll do what's right for you but for all our interfering we're just trying to be helpful (What's that quote about the road to hell being paved with good intentions :grin2:). Oh, and this doesn't let you off the hook for visiting me in Oz - I'm holding you to that no matter what. LOL. So while your candle making is ON HOLD leading up to the surgery I hope you'll keep on looking in and sharing your wonderful insights and humour with us. Lots of love. Mozzie

Dang Tucker,

You sound like my husband (49 y.o) who has been a painter for YEARRRRRRSSSS. He hurts like hell when he comes in from work and complains, but he keeps doing it everyday and he hurts like hell from FISHING on the weekend, but the fishing out weighs the working.,,,,,,,,,,,,LOL He would quit complaining about the fishing if he didn't have to do the painting.......Don't give up on your candles just yet and I KNOW you ain't going to give up on your fishing. Hang in there Tuck,,,,,,,,,,YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!! Portia

Let me tell you a story about hip replacement.

My 92 year old grandma geek had her left hip replaced at age 75 and until she had back surgery about three years ago still did what she loved most in life: Square dancing and line dancing.

You never know what will happen and how well you will recover. I would definitely hold off selling your stuff till you can see how your recovery and therapy go.

You have posted alot of great looking candles and 'canes and you will be missed by alot of us here (especially the womenfolk ;)).

Even if you don't make anymore candles you could still post in the Off-Topic forum and comment on pics in the Gallery. That way you can tellus about your shiny new hip! Since you are a guy, maybe the doctor can fit you with a grease zerk so you can lube that joint up when it squeaks! :laugh2:

Whatever you choose, good luck and God bless you and yours!

geek

Hey, Tucker, having a hip replaced isn't nearly as bad as it sounds. I had mine repaced 4 1/2 years ago, after the first 2 weeks, I was up and going strong. In fact, 2 months after the surgery was when I started my candle company. Been going like crazy since then. Of course, 2 1/2 years ago I had to get my knee replaced, that was harder than the hip. It never slowed me down. Good luck, and "trust me" it will work out fine. God bless, Carole.

Really Tucker! I agree with what everyone else has said! I wish you the best on your surgery and I know you will do just fine soon afterwards. Even if you have to scale it down so you dont have to run up and down stairs, kitchens work great for small projects! I really love seeing all of your creations and will miss you while you're out.

Candles are lit for a speedy recovery!

*big hugs*

Please think a few days before you sell your supplies. You've got many to think outside of the box, and that creativity and your spirit will be missed greatly. Don't be a stranger.. ((hugs))

Tucker,

I've got to second that.

My Dad had his hip replaced a couple of years ago as well and is better than ever. I definitely wouldn't give it up. You'll be back at it before long. Take care & have a speedy recovery.

I'll just say, good luck on your upcoming surgery---and you will be missed.

I do hope you pop in every once in a while and tell us all Hi. You've given me plenty of advise and helped me tap into my more creative side, and for that I give you a big THANK YOU.

Tuck--

I know EXACTLY how you are feeling now. I had a hip replacement 16 years ago. I was a hairdresser at the time and had just opened my Las Vegas location. It was so new I only had one employee and had invested a lot of hard earned money. I NEEDED to be IN that business, NOT flat on my back out of commission! Standing up behind that chair was all I knew. I needed a hip replacement but just could not be "down" that long, so I endured the pain for three years. They had tried to "pin" me back together instead of me having the replacement.Four years of college,(which was beneficial, but did nothing for me that would put jingle in my pocket)..but I was doing what I always wanted to do and all I loved. The pain got so bad, I really thought my "party" was over.....but in my business, you wear a smile, regardless...and I did. Everyday was "showtime". After three years, the business was booming, but the atrophy was really bad and the pain was excruciating.

Finally, I was in a position to get away for awhile, so I had the surgery. 6 weeks I had to be exceptionally careful so that the post could adhere properly. I pulled out the paint and canvas and made the best of it. The next 6 weeks I had to use a walker. I went back into my salon and worked on a tall barstool....and managed the best I could. The next 6 weeks I had to use a cane. Things were getting better. The pain from my "very bad fall" was practically gone the day after the surgery....which is what this long drawn out story is really all about. You will absolutly be AMAZED at how functional and pain-free you will be after you recover!

At 75, you have earned the right to do whatever it is you love.....fish....candles...or sitting on your ass...whatever you want to do...or not do.

I just want you to know that 16 years later, I run circles around people half my age, and I KNOW you will too. The cold weather might be a little tough on ya, ( the "wet" seems to bother me somewhat which is why I am looking into drier climates) but you are accustomed to that.

Best of luck to you with this Tucker. You have the advantage of the amazing strides that the medical community has made with replacements....you will do just great!

I, too, wish you would reconsider selling off your supplies, because I think "once a Chandler, always a Chandler" and you will want them when you recover...but you can always buy supplies later if you decide, I suppose.:) Keep us posted on how it goes, and try and maintain a positive attitude!!! Things are going to get BETTER!

Michael

Hi Tucker, good luck for your surgery from far Italy.

I will miss you while you're in recovery, but don't sell any of your weapons, you'll be ready to shoot again soon.

Just wait, you'll decide when you will be back home.. and I bet you will keep on doing those amazing candles.

Hugs

Tucker,

I wish you the best for your surgery and will keep you in my thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery. I agree with everyone else that only you can decide what is best for you. I hope that you will pop in from time to time and let us know how the fish are biting and how you are doing.

Best wishes,

Theresa

I think he's giving candles up so he can study up on his sky diving for when he gets his hip fixed..... ;) He's found another board of sky divers and he's cheating on us! Bruce

Bruce....that was supposed to be HIS little secret......;) Donita

Ditto on what others have said Tucker. You'll feel so much better after the surgery, don't give up on us yet!! My grandfather was in his mid eighties when he had his hip done. Unbelievable how much of an improvement-he'll be 90 this summer & and he's like the energizer bunny-going & going & going.:laugh2:

Glo

Do you see how many friends you've made here? Very cool. We are all with you during this difficult time. When you take a break from fishin.....be sure to log in and join us in all of our fun (insanity).....lol....Donita

My father will be 75 in June. I understand the steps thing. He lives in a bi-level. He has to go down about 12 steps to smoke in the garage.:D I am sure he will soon switch to the bathroom once the new windows get put in. Watching him age isnt fun, he had some surgeries and all right after he retired. Hes doing fine but as he said, some days are better then others but all days have aches here and there. I think when we reach that age we should be put on a small IV of happy pills and pain killers. jmo. Enjoy the fishing and family during this time. ;)