i havent even started

hello i havent even started making candles yet im still doin the research and i had a question come to mind and i even feel stupid asking but ........ok when ur cleaning up do u get a lot of extra wax? and if so how do u keep your drains clear or do u even use the sink to clean the equipment. sorry if this is a dumb question lol but like i said i havent even made my first candle yet !

That's not a dumb question, and you're smart for thinking of it before it was too late.;)

Never put wax down a sink drain, and don't even pour candles near a sink where it might spill and accidentally go down. It will clog the pipes and no amount of hot water will melt it.:eek:

BTW, welcome to the board!

As part of your research check out the book at your local library. I read the Complete Candlemaker as part of my research. The 1st little story she told was about a friend who ended up with a hugh plumbing bill because she accidently had a lb of wax go down the sink drain. As you read the posts here you'll learn that most folks use a heat gun, paper towelsor their oven to clean their equipment.

what I do with leftover wax is pour it into a empty can or yogurt cup. I usually have them from breakfast. I lay papertowels out on counters and I am very careful not to let any drip on floor as it will mess up kitchen floor. I keep a papertowel in my hand to wipe pour pot after each pour. If you are careful you wont have any problems.

For cleaning molds, you can use heat gun or put upside down on a lined baking sheet in lowest setting oven has. Be careful with metal molds they can get messed up if you get them to hot in oven. Dont use water on molds. I normally dont have to do anything to my molds.

I always keep a empty plastic container near my presto so i can dump off any excess when im done. If im planning on using the same type of wax for the next few melts, i just let it cool in there and put the lid on to keep dust out. But usually the container bug hits me when my presto has votive wax sitting in it :) Water never touches my molds or my pourpots. I put them in the oven at 175 for about 10 minutes then wipe them down. They retain a tiny bit of smell, but it has never effected my next batch. I also use pyrex measuring cups to do repours if im making large batches , these i melt the wax off of in the oven, and wipe down. Once they have cooled, i wash the remaining little bit of residue off with hot hot hot soapy water. If your cleaning metal moulds, wear gardending gloves while you wipe them. They heat dosnt come through, and you cant cut yourself.

I buy the cheap gardening gloves from Wal-Mart (for like .89) and wear those when I am mixing, pouring, wiping down the pots, etc. It keeps my hands from burning or getting dye on them. When they get really nasty, I just throw them away. Since they are so cheap, it is not a huge cost. I can usually wear a pair for quite a while though.

I pour my leftovers into tart molds - if it's just a small amount. If a larger amount, I pour it into styrofoam coffee cups for later use. A few days ago I was totally bored so I pulled out a bag of these tarts, remelted & made a really nice 3x3 draped layer.

I weigh my wax before melting and usually don't have much extra. I keep an empty coffee can with lid and pour any leftovers into that.

e

Hey E thanks for the idea! I was pouring into dixie bowls and keeping a plastic bag with scraps. The can sounds much better! I pour and no messing with it later!

By the way hello and welcome to the board. One side of my sink is clogged right now! Not from wax. STAY AWAY FROM YOUR SINK! I can't stay away from my sink it is smack dab in the middle of my work station. I took 2 extra pieces of tile that were left over from redoing my kitchen floor(that now needs redone again, HA!) and put them in the bottom of the sink while I am working with my wax. The tiles catch any drips, sprays or dried pieces that may fall. I then take my dust buster thingy and vaccum before I lift them out! It helps because I am messy!

What to do with the double boiler water might be an issue for city apartment dwellers. While I'm not sure this is safe for everyone, I let the water cool completely to room temperature then pour it through a fine strainer into the toilet. I have a powerful flush and I'm pretty sure any trace residue in the water isn't doing any harm. The wax captured in the strainer gets shaken into the trash, then the strainer goes into the warm oven with the pour pots and such for final cleaning.

I save wax in little oval molds that I don't use for candles....they made them too narrow for me...so I found another use. I also us my votive molds if it is just a little....then throw them into boxes under a table in my studio labeled, fruit, flower, essential oil and ?.....then I chop them up at a later date, matching colors and pour very hot 260 clear wax over them.....If you are just cleaning up on counters, stoves and utelsils, I's advise going to a discount store and buying 1,000 rolls of paper towels. In the winter, I use those waxey towels for firestarters in my fireplaces. With 8 dogs in the house, I should buy stock in Bounty. Those are my favorites. I wet them, wring them out and use them to pick up hot molds to waterbath. (four folded together for one "pot holder"....it won't slip on the mold because it is wet. I can resuse the Bounty ones several times before throwing them out. And...welcome to this board....it is full of fun helpful people......Donita

http://donitahoyer.com/

Your mention of Bounty reminds me...

I always thought of that as the premium brand. After all, it's been the Quicker Picker Upper on TV for all my life. Then I had a rude awakening one day when the Bounty wasn't available and I had to "make do" with Kleenex Viva brand paper towels.

Folks, Viva is the sh*t. A far superior candlemaking wipe IMHO.