How BIG is too BIG?

MichelleOH

I just cut my soap(upland mold with lines) and I weighed a few. They range from 5 to 6 oz. Is this too big? My husband says he likes a big bar, but I wanted to ask you. I have to say after 5 batches of soap I am proud to say these are sell worthy:)

They'll lose a little bit of weight as they cure. Lots of people like chunky big bars, just be careful to start your pricing off right if you want to sell larger bars. I've got 2 cuts - one is 4 oz, another is 5 after cool. I have a hard time holding on to anything larger, but I like their looks.

I also like the bigger bars.

All of my bars are 6 oz. That is one of the first comments that the customers make when they come up to my table is, "WOW! Those are big bars!" I have had a lot of customers say that when they buy a bar of mine they cut it in half length-wise and store on half in a towel or clothing drawer and use the other half. They feel like they get more for their money and get to have great smelling clothes too! :)

With all of the research that I have done. The average price to charge is $1.00 per oz. for homemade soap.

Jennifer

• 4 years later...

After selling 5.5oz bars for years at $5.00 each I went down to 4.5 at $4.00 or 3 for $10 and I actually sell WAY more without taking a cut in income. The higher volume in sales more than makes up for the price drop. The price drop has made a big difference for people who are new to my products, and for my regulars it encourages them to always buy 3 bars at a time, which is nice. But thats just been my experience. My molds also make it easier for me now because I designed them, and had hubby build them to fit the soap boxes, and I cut them (a bit more than) 1" thick, which weighs out to 4.5oz (sometimes a bit more) after cure.

I know some people have problems holding onto the larger bars, but again its all personal preference. For hubs I always make big chunky bars!

• 1 year later...
I just cut my soap(upland mold with lines) and I weighed a few. They range from 5 to 6 oz. Is this too big? My husband says he likes a big bar, but I wanted to ask you. I have to say after 5 batches of soap I am proud to say these are sell worthy:)

I was looking at all the handmade soaps at the health/herbalist shop today, and most of them were 5 or 6 oz. I liked them much better than the 4 to 4.5 oz bars I saw at the health food grocery a couple of days ago, which all looked small and overpriced for their size to me. I have small hands, but like big soap.