Matte finish on candles/melts

Ok this might sound a little "out there," but I'm asking anyway. Even though I make melts, I posted in "General" hoping for more exposure since this is just about my wax only. A few months ago I went back and started re-testing paraffin wax combos for my melts. I see a lot of crafters looking for a nice shine, but I'm looking for more of a matte finish. I had a happy accident where 2 of my combos ended up with a very nice, high-quality eggshell/matte finish. It only worked with certain FOs though, and once I added my liquid dye to the mix - some shine started to show. 

This question is for anyone who makes candles or melts - doesn't matter. Is there any kind of process or some sort of additive that would dull that shine that most waxes have? If it helps, I'm testing different percentages of blends that include 4786 & 4633 - with and without CO, using 5-10% as part of the total percentage. 

It seems like the CO might be playing a part in getting it matte, but I don't think using it is working for me which is why now I'm asking if anyone knows of a way to achieve a matte finish any kind of way. 

I have been searching for more of a matte creamy look for years and have only found that increasing the soy content or adding a small % of a matte tart wax helps for candles. It's a bummer how hard it is to find a paraffin dominant blend that adheres nicely, matte creamy, and is not greasy that melts too easily in the heat. 

• Like 1

On 5/28/2022 at 7:04 AM, LilFirecracker said:

Ok this might sound a little "out there," but I'm asking anyway. Even though I make melts, I posted in "General" hoping for more exposure since this is just about my wax only. A few months ago I went back and started re-testing paraffin wax combos for my melts. I see a lot of crafters looking for a nice shine, but I'm looking for more of a matte finish. I had a happy accident where 2 of my combos ended up with a very nice, high-quality eggshell/matte finish. It only worked with certain FOs though, and once I added my liquid dye to the mix - some shine started to show. 

This question is for anyone who makes candles or melts - doesn't matter. Is there any kind of process or some sort of additive that would dull that shine that most waxes have? If it helps, I'm testing different percentages of blends that include 4786 & 4633 - with and without CO, using 5-10% as part of the total percentage. 

It seems like the CO might be playing a part in getting it matte, but I don't think using it is working for me which is why now I'm asking if anyone knows of a way to achieve a matte finish any kind of way. 

If I remember correctly 133 from KY might be a little more on the not so shiny side. I'll have to pour some to make sure. You might add just a tad of soy to your mix or switch the 4633 to 6006 maybe? I know you'd rather use all paraffin though and I can't blame you there.

I've also found that the mold has something to do with how shiny mine turn out. If I use a grubby, silicone mold they tend to be not so shiny but a smooth mold seems to show the shine more.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2022 at 3:10 PM, Belinda said:

If I remember correctly 133 from KY might be a little more on the not so shiny side. I'll have to pour some to make sure. You might add just a tad of soy to your mix or switch the 4633 to 6006 maybe? I know you'd rather use all paraffin though and I can't blame you there.

I've also found that the mold has something to do with how shiny mine turn out. If I use a grubby, silicone mold they tend to be not so shiny but a smooth mold seems to show the shine more.

Thanks!I'm not looking to switch at all though. I've fought for so long to get my consistency right, I'll just deal with it. I was just seeing if there was something out there I could add to it besides another wax. I definitely don't wanna mess with soy. Right now it's not the surface of the mold I'm dealing with because I'm looking at the exposed part and also how it looks when cooled in my Presto. I had got it perfect at one time, but then adding my dye killed it....can't win 'em all! 🤣

On 5/30/2022 at 11:17 AM, lovelyscents said:

I have been searching for more of a matte creamy look for years and have only found that increasing the soy content or adding a small % of a matte tart wax helps for candles. It's a bummer how hard it is to find a paraffin dominant blend that adheres nicely, matte creamy, and is not greasy that melts too easily in the heat. 

Glad to know it's not just me! Guess I'll just work with what I have! 😃

• Like 1

On 5/31/2022 at 5:34 PM, NightLight said:

Add more soy wax. Try C3 it’s more on the matte side but you will have to test because it Has adhesion qualities, so you have see what percentage give you matte and realease ability.

Thanks! I don't mess with soy though. I was sooo close to getting it right at one time, but when I added dye it killed it. I'm just not gonna worry. I still have a couple of tweaks with my percentages of paraffins I'm using. If that doesn't do it, oh well - no real biggie!

It seems that paraffin comes out shiny when poured hot and cooled quickly, and more matte finish if poured cooler and cooled slower.  I'm not an accomplished pillar maker, but I've dabbled, and have made sand candles and some other paraffin candles or I've used paraffin to make whipped topping, and that always comes out with a flat finish, so maybe the temperature has something to do with it ...?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to hear other opinions on this but I add 5-10% Polyester Esterin.

This takes away the Paraffin shine and makes it matte. Very much like a 100% Soy candle.

I've not gone deep enough with PE yet (I'm still in testing phases) but I've done various tests with it and without it and it increases the cold throw significantly for me.

Any opinions on PE? I haven't found much online about it, mine comes as a powder.

• Shocked 1

On 6/19/2022 at 6:35 AM, candledisaster said:

This takes away the Paraffin shine and makes it matte. Very much like a 100% Soy candle.

I've not gone deep enough with PE yet (I'm still in testing phases) but I've done various tests with it and without it and it increases the cold throw significantly for me.

Any opinions on PE? I haven't found much online about it, mine comes as a powder.

I'm sorry it took so long for me to respond. I didn't realize I had a comment! Could you tell me where I could get that from? I don't think I've ever come across that. 

It's also called "PE Wax" and it does come in a wax flake form, though mine comes as a powder.

I'm in Thailand, so most other countries get the benefits of preblended waxes I am trying my best to try and reproduce those blends with as many known additives as possible!

On 6/19/2022 at 6:35 AM, candledisaster said:

Oops! I realized I had already replied to this and I can't delete it lol. Thank you again for giving me another avenue to research. I know it sounds like I'm being really picky about my wax being matte. Well, I am actually. It means a lot to me to be able to achieve this, but I don't want to have to change my wax blend in order to do so. 

Edited by LilFirecracker

On 6/22/2022 at 9:58 AM, kandlekrazy said:

Not sure about all soy wax but C3 I used to wipe the surface after solid and it would make it matte.

I'm working with paraffin, but even if it would also work for paraffin it just wouldn't be practical as I'm dealing with wax melts instead of candles. Too much real estate to go over! 🤣

• Like 1