Matte finish on candles/melts

Ok this might sound a little "out there," but I'm asking anyway. Even though I make melts, I posted in "General" hoping for more exposure since this is just about my wax only. A few months ago I went back and started re-testing paraffin wax combos for my melts. I see a lot of crafters looking for a nice shine, but I'm looking for more of a matte finish. I had a happy accident where 2 of my combos ended up with a very nice, high-quality eggshell/matte finish. It only worked with certain FOs though, and once I added my liquid dye to the mix - some shine started to show. 

This question is for anyone who makes candles or melts - doesn't matter. Is there any kind of process or some sort of additive that would dull that shine that most waxes have? If it helps, I'm testing different percentages of blends that include 4786 & 4633 - with and without CO, using 5-10% as part of the total percentage. 

It seems like the CO might be playing a part in getting it matte, but I don't think using it is working for me which is why now I'm asking if anyone knows of a way to achieve a matte finish any kind of way. 

I have been searching for more of a matte creamy look for years and have only found that increasing the soy content or adding a small % of a matte tart wax helps for candles. It's a bummer how hard it is to find a paraffin dominant blend that adheres nicely, matte creamy, and is not greasy that melts too easily in the heat. 

• Like 1

On 5/28/2022 at 7:04 AM, LilFirecracker said:

Ok this might sound a little "out there," but I'm asking anyway. Even though I make melts, I posted in "General" hoping for more exposure since this is just about my wax only. A few months ago I went back and started re-testing paraffin wax combos for my melts. I see a lot of crafters looking for a nice shine, but I'm looking for more of a matte finish. I had a happy accident where 2 of my combos ended up with a very nice, high-quality eggshell/matte finish. It only worked with certain FOs though, and once I added my liquid dye to the mix - some shine started to show. 

This question is for anyone who makes candles or melts - doesn't matter. Is there any kind of process or some sort of additive that would dull that shine that most waxes have? If it helps, I'm testing different percentages of blends that include 4786 & 4633 - with and without CO, using 5-10% as part of the total percentage. 

It seems like the CO might be playing a part in getting it matte, but I don't think using it is working for me which is why now I'm asking if anyone knows of a way to achieve a matte finish any kind of way. 

If I remember correctly 133 from KY might be a little more on the not so shiny side. I'll have to pour some to make sure. You might add just a tad of soy to your mix or switch the 4633 to 6006 maybe? I know you'd rather use all paraffin though and I can't blame you there.

I've also found that the mold has something to do with how shiny mine turn out. If I use a grubby, silicone mold they tend to be not so shiny but a smooth mold seems to show the shine more.

• Like 2

On 5/31/2022 at 3:10 PM, Belinda said:

If I remember correctly 133 from KY might be a little more on the not so shiny side. I'll have to pour some to make sure. You might add just a tad of soy to your mix or switch the 4633 to 6006 maybe? I know you'd rather use all paraffin though and I can't blame you there.

I've also found that the mold has something to do with how shiny mine turn out. If I use a grubby, silicone mold they tend to be not so shiny but a smooth mold seems to show the shine more.

Thanks!I'm not looking to switch at all though. I've fought for so long to get my consistency right, I'll just deal with it. I was just seeing if there was something out there I could add to it besides another wax. I definitely don't wanna mess with soy. Right now it's not the surface of the mold I'm dealing with because I'm looking at the exposed part and also how it looks when cooled in my Presto. I had got it perfect at one time, but then adding my dye killed it....can't win 'em all! 🤣

On 5/30/2022 at 11:17 AM, lovelyscents said:

I have been searching for more of a matte creamy look for years and have only found that increasing the soy content or adding a small % of a matte tart wax helps for candles. It's a bummer how hard it is to find a paraffin dominant blend that adheres nicely, matte creamy, and is not greasy that melts too easily in the heat. 

Glad to know it's not just me! Guess I'll just work with what I have! 😃

• Like 1

On 5/31/2022 at 5:34 PM, NightLight said:

Add more soy wax. Try C3 it’s more on the matte side but you will have to test because it Has adhesion qualities, so you have see what percentage give you matte and realease ability.

Thanks! I don't mess with soy though. I was sooo close to getting it right at one time, but when I added dye it killed it. I'm just not gonna worry. I still have a couple of tweaks with my percentages of paraffins I'm using. If that doesn't do it, oh well - no real biggie!

It seems that paraffin comes out shiny when poured hot and cooled quickly, and more matte finish if poured cooler and cooled slower.  I'm not an accomplished pillar maker, but I've dabbled, and have made sand candles and some other paraffin candles or I've used paraffin to make whipped topping, and that always comes out with a flat finish, so maybe the temperature has something to do with it ...?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to hear other opinions on this but I add 5-10% Polyester Esterin.

This takes away the Paraffin shine and makes it matte. Very much like a 100% Soy candle.

I've not gone deep enough with PE yet (I'm still in testing phases) but I've done various tests with it and without it and it increases the cold throw significantly for me.

Any opinions on PE? I haven't found much online about it, mine comes as a powder.

• Shocked 1

On 6/19/2022 at 6:35 AM, candledisaster said:

This takes away the Paraffin shine and makes it matte. Very much like a 100% Soy candle.

I've not gone deep enough with PE yet (I'm still in testing phases) but I've done various tests with it and without it and it increases the cold throw significantly for me.

Any opinions on PE? I haven't found much online about it, mine comes as a powder.

I'm sorry it took so long for me to respond. I didn't realize I had a comment! Could you tell me where I could get that from? I don't think I've ever come across that. 

On 6/19/2022 at 6:35 AM, candledisaster said:

Oops! I realized I had already replied to this and I can't delete it lol. Thank you again for giving me another avenue to research. I know it sounds like I'm being really picky about my wax being matte. Well, I am actually. It means a lot to me to be able to achieve this, but I don't want to have to change my wax blend in order to do so. 

Edited by LilFirecracker

On 6/22/2022 at 9:58 AM, kandlekrazy said:

Not sure about all soy wax but C3 I used to wipe the surface after solid and it would make it matte.

I'm working with paraffin, but even if it would also work for paraffin it just wouldn't be practical as I'm dealing with wax melts instead of candles. Too much real estate to go over! 🤣

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2022 at 8:04 AM, LilFirecracker said:

On 5/28/2022 at 8:04 AM, LilFirecracker said:

If it helps, I'm testing different percentages of blends that include 4786 & 4633 - with and without CO, using 5-10% as part of the total percentage. 

You don't find this blend too soft for melts? I guess if you are using cups for packaging, it could work nicely. I know even though 4786 comes in a hard slab form, it seems to be gummy and melt faster than a typical tart wax, especially if blended with a softer container wax...in my experience. I have found 4786 to lose its scent throw a bit after a long shelf life compared to some harder paraffin wax blends. Do you find this to be true? Maybe it's my oils aging more than the wax itself being the problem.

Also, I apologize for reading your post too quickly and commenting regarding candles when you specifically said melts lol.

Ok, so, if I am reading this correctly - you are using paraffin blend melt wax with a mold and want a matte finish.  If so, you can freeze your molds and then pour your wax.  This will give a frosty look.  Might not be what you are looking for but they definitely won't be shinny.  You can experiment using hot and cool wax which will also give different textures.  Just remember what you do as slight variations in temp will change the look.  Also, when pouring do so quickly as ever little pause you will get lines.  Which can look cool but probably not what you are after.  The other trick would be using a cool water bath.  But only if the hot wax breaks through the cold barrier.  If you use a cool water bath with hot wax in a warm mold they will be shinny, so don't do that.  I can explain this more if you need :)

Best,  Lyschel

On 7/6/2022 at 5:20 PM, CandleCocoon said:

Ok, so, if I am reading this correctly - you are using paraffin blend melt wax with a mold and want a matte finish.  If so, you can freeze your molds and then pour your wax.  This will give a frosty look.  Might not be what you are looking for but they definitely won't be shinny.  You can experiment using hot and cool wax which will also give different textures.  Just remember what you do as slight variations in temp will change the look.  Also, when pouring do so quickly as ever little pause you will get lines.  Which can look cool but probably not what you are after.  The other trick would be using a cool water bath.  But only if the hot wax breaks through the cold barrier.  If you use a cool water bath with hot wax in a warm mold they will be shinny, so don't do that.  I can explain this more if you need :)

Best,  Lyschel

Thank you for the suggestion! I'm not sure if you realized this is for wax melts or not because I've heard of the freezing if the molds a d all that for the rustic look. Can this work for smaller items like wax melts and would it work with silicone molds? I did try playing with the pour temp, but it didn't seem to make a difference. It just gave me more trouble the cooker I poured. The lowest I could go was 140 and it was cooling too fast at that point. This freezing of the molds sounds like something I might try if you think it'll work with silicone molds!

I have to finish tweaking this wax and get it just right because it's making me crazy! I noticed you're the queen of Candle Cocoon - I have close to 30 samples I ordered from you that I still haven't been able to put into wax yet. I wanted to wait until the wax was just right so I wouldn't be wasting it. I got tired the other day if testing the same FOs over and over, so I pulled my bag of samples and said to hell with it! My next batch will be testing Mulberry and Moonbeams, Lemon Blossom, and the ever-so-popular Vanilla Voodoo! My blend is close enough so I'll be able to get a true test out of it. I can't wait to test them all. 🥰

Annette

On 7/6/2022 at 5:02 PM, lovelyscents said:

You don't find this blend too soft for melts? I guess if you are using cups for packaging, it could work nicely. I know even though 4786 comes in a hard slab form, it seems to be gummy and melt faster than a typical tart wax, especially if blended with a softer container wax...in my experience. I have found 4786 to lose its scent throw a bit after a long shelf life compared to some harder paraffin wax blends. Do you find this to be true? Maybe it's my oils aging more than the wax itself being the problem.

Also, I apologize for reading your post too quickly and commenting regarding candles when you specifically said melts lol.

No apologies needed! Seems to be a common thing for me lol. It's all good! As for this blend, I made soooo many rookie mistakes on this one. First mistake: Testing for consistency in winter! I had it perfect last year. Ended up doing 50/50 and it worked perfectly believe it or not! Had a lot of scents that bad a great throw and lasted beyond 12 hours. I thought that was good until I did some digging..... Decided I was gonna have to revamp this recipe. But back to it being good...  It popped out of the warmer dish so easily with a flick of a butter knife. I was testing mainly in cups, but I did try some in molds to see if they would hold up and they did.  Sorry, this is gonna be longer than I thought lol...

Fast forward to early spring. It was still killing me all those weeks/months thinking about the longevity. Then I started thinking about when I was testing 4630 & 4633 blended with 4625 and my scent throw was way better and lasted longer. So that marked the birth of my "Frankenblend" that I'm now continuously tweaking to get just the right amount of everything I'm looking for. It's not often, only for certain things like this - when the perfectionist in me comes out to play....everything takes so much longer than it should. 

Edited by LilFirecracker

On 6/24/2022 at 8:43 PM, LilFirecracker said:

I'm working with paraffin, but even if it would also work for paraffin it just wouldn't be practical as I'm dealing with wax melts instead of candles. Too much real estate to go over! 🤣

I'm not sure about paraffin but I did this on all my clamshell melts and multi cavity mold melts.

2 hours ago, kandlekrazy said:

I'm not sure about paraffin but I did this on all my clamshell melts and multi cavity mold melts.

I tried it on a couple of snap bars the other night just for the hell of it, and it worked!! Of course I need to find something softer to use lol. I used a regular old wash cloth and it was a little rough looking lol. It left marks across it. Someone else had told me they use old pantyhose or stockings on their pillars and it worksworks good to mattify it. What do you use on yours?

On 7/8/2022 at 10:01 AM, LilFirecracker said:

I tried it on a couple of snap bars the other night just for the hell of it, and it worked!! Of course I need to find something softer to use lol. I used a regular old wash cloth and it was a little rough looking lol. It left marks across it. Someone else had told me they use old pantyhose or stockings on their pillars and it worksworks good to mattify it. What do you use on yours?

old t-shirts work pretty well

• Like 1

On 7/6/2022 at 4:56 PM, lovelyscents said:

@ShelleyF

Do you find this wax to be picky with fragrances, like inconsistent? Does it age well?

Hi I haven't been on lately so I'm just seeing this. I haven't had any trouble with fragrances. It does age well. Stays looking perfect and the throws get stronger. They are already strong but they intensify even more.