I need a substitute for 4627

I switched to 4627 because it was reported to have great HT, the first block I got did not disappoint, but the last block is a different story. I can’t seem to get decent HT no matter what I try. So I’m looking for suggestions for a new wax that would give me the HT I desire. I’ve stopped making candles altogether and I only burn the candles from the latest batch of 4627 to get rid of them. I really need a new wax with great HT to get me going again.   

I don't necessarily have a sub for 4627, but personally I am really enjoying mottling wax right now.  I was previously using a soft container wax that was great....until it wasn't.  With mottling wax, there is no worry about shipping in warm temps.  The rustic look means I don't have to strive for perfect aesthetics.  HT is good and reliable.  The downside is the repours.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, bfroberts said:

I don't necessarily have a sub for 4627, but personally I am really enjoying mottling wax right now.  I was previously using a soft container wax that was great....until it wasn't.  With mottling wax, there is no worry about shipping in warm temps.  The rustic look means I don't have to strive for perfect aesthetics.  HT is good and reliable.  The downside is the repours.

Do you get as good a HT with this wax as with a softer wax? I've been testing 4786 and I love the way it seems to be a firmer wax that maybe won't melt as easy if I ever started doing shows in the outdoors and here in Texas it can be hot in the Fall and Winter at times. Have you ever tried 4786? IS there a specific type of mottling wax that you're using? Sorry so many questions.

15 hours ago, Belinda said:

Do you get as good a HT with this wax as with a softer wax? I've been testing 4786 and I love the way it seems to be a firmer wax that maybe won't melt as easy if I ever started doing shows in the outdoors and here in Texas it can be hot in the Fall and Winter at times. Have you ever tried 4786? IS there a specific type of mottling wax that you're using? Sorry so many questions.

I'm using CW's mottling wax for containers. It's harder than 4786 with a higher MP.  As for throw, it's been great with every FO I've put in it, which has been about 25 different scents so far.  FO load is fairly low and seepage reportedly can be a problem.  Rather than adding vybar or mycrocrystalline, I'm adding a small amount of a softer container blend (slightly less than 1oz pp).  That allows me to use 6% FO across the board with no seepage and still maintain great mottling.  I am really loving the look of these candles on our shelves.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

• 4 months later...
On 6/16/2021 at 4:36 PM, ErronB said:

The strongest HT I've had is from CBL-129, that stuff is a beast, but needs a repour and is in a hard slab like 4625.

I've heard great things about 129 as well except the ongoing ripples.  However, you need to repour with it anyhow which covers it.

17 hours ago, lovelyscents said:

I've heard great things about 129 as well except the ongoing ripples.  However, you need to repour with it anyhow which covers it.

It’s the only wax I’ve used that has never failed to give me a hot throw. 4627 is giving me bad issues right now in batches which I’m not surprised, so gonna stick to 129 for now.

1 hour ago, ErronB said:

It’s the only wax I’ve used that has never failed to give me a hot throw. 4627 is giving me bad issues right now in batches which I’m not surprised, so gonna stick to 129 for now.

Is it pretty consistent? I would be fine testing it out if it will not make me want to chuck it out the window.🤪

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TallTayl said:

Is it pretty consistent? I would be fine testing it out if it will not make me want to chuck it out the window.🤪

I know I’ve seen a couple people over the years post some stuff on here where they got some really messed up batches, and to be quite honest I don’t like their orher waxes anymore, I’m assuming it’s because they’re using IGI stuff in the blend so no wonder they’re ‘off’, but the 129 I’ve gone through god knows how many cases and I’ve honestly never had a problem with it. I hate how bad it shrinks and dips, and it’s a very hard wax like palm, but the hot throw….. holy Jesus. It’s slammin.

Edited by ErronB
  • Like 1

On 10/22/2021 at 9:40 AM, ErronB said:

I know I’ve seen a couple people over the years post some stuff on here where they got some really messed up batches, and to be quite honest I don’t like their orher waxes anymore, I’m assuming it’s because they’re using IGI stuff in the blend so no wonder they’re ‘off’, but the 129 I’ve gone through god knows how many cases and I’ve honestly never had a problem with it. I hate how bad it shrinks and dips, and it’s a very hard wax like palm, but the hot throw….. holy Jesus. It’s slammin.

I thought the 129 is also using IGI base?

Bill told me a few years ago that 4794 is used as a base for CBL 129 :) Makes great candles and the second pour is worth it IMO. It does ripple most of the time for tarts/melts in my experience. I emailed with Bill about this and he suggested adding more oil (FO) which I haven't tried. Apparently when a batch ripples it's on IGI's end with too much of an additive. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lizzy said:

Bill told me a few years ago that 4794 is used as a base for CBL 129 :) Makes great candles and the second pour is worth it IMO. It does ripple most of the time for tarts/melts in my experience. I emailed with Bill about this and he suggested adding more oil (FO) which I haven't tried. Apparently when a batch ripples it's on IGI's end with too much of an additive. 

I've heard it was a 4794 base also.

16 minutes ago, Belinda said:

I wonder if 4786 has 4794 mixed in with it? Is this the wax from CW that can be use in containers and shapes?

Yup that's the one. I know of numerous chandlers who also use 4794 for containers. Makes a kick butt candle but since it shrinks it tends to rattle in a container. I think Thompson Candle Co uses it as well.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lizzy said:

Yup that's the one. I know of numerous chandlers who also use 4794 for containers. Makes a kick butt candle but since it shrinks it tends to rattle in a container. I think Thompson Candle Co uses it as well.

I have both of those waxes so I might try mixing them and see how it goes. I've used the two mixed for tarts and love it so I'm anxious to try with a candle. Thanks for the info!

• 3 weeks later...

I tested the CBL129 and I loved the throw. It was easy to wick too. I am just way to lazy to deal with a repour. 🤣

For a single pour with consistent great results, I go with CBL125 every time.

I actually just bought a slab of 4630 and a box of 4627 to see how they compare to CW's waxes. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/22/2021 at 9:40 AM, ErronB said:

I meant to ask you which wicks you prefer in it?  Zinc?  Do you tend to get high flames or excessive soot if not constantly trimmed?

On 11/12/2021 at 9:04 PM, Sarah S said:

I tested the CBL129 and I loved the throw. It was easy to wick too. I am just way to lazy to deal with a repour. 🤣

For a single pour with consistent great results, I go with CBL125 every time.

I actually just bought a slab of 4630 and a box of 4627 to see how they compare to CW's waxes. 

Penny for your thoughts 😂

On 1/1/2022 at 12:55 AM, lovelyscents said:

I meant to ask you which wicks you prefer in it?  Zinc?  Do you tend to get high flames or excessive soot if not constantly trimmed?

I jinxed myself, all the praise I gave it then we get a new batch a couple weeks ago and when you pour it, it looks like zombie brains on top when it sets. Of course, you can fix this by adding a bunch of a different wax but then you don’t get the same HT. 

The first burn does have a higher flame for me, but not after that. I used HTP / LX in it, I don’t trim my candles so I don’t have much experience with zinc wicks, plus I don’t like how they act with plasma lighters which are becoming more common these days.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, ErronB said:

I jinxed myself, all the praise I gave it then we get a new batch a couple weeks ago and when you pour it, it looks like zombie brains on top when it sets. Of course, you can fix this by adding a bunch of a different wax but then you don’t get the same HT. 

The first burn does have a higher flame for me, but not after that. I used HTP / LX in it, I don’t trim my candles so I don’t have much experience with zinc wicks, plus I don’t like how they act with plasma lighters which are becoming more common these days.

Yep, I have seen that complaint many many times.  I am not sure how the manufacturer and / or supplier can send out wax like this and then expects us to become the scientists and troubleshooters.  We have less time to "fix" it once we establish a customer base. 

I seem to be losing my motivation and excitement for the whole thing more times than not and its saddening.  I am getting to a point where blending coconut 1 and some beeswax sounds more promising for consistency lately.  Well, I hear mottling wax is pretty consistent also.  I have to say I am shocked 4627 would be messed up, it seems like such a basic petrolatum blend.

Edited by lovelyscents