I need a substitute for 4627

On 10/22/2021 at 9:34 AM, NightLight said:

I just tried 4786. For opaque containers it’s great. It’s a harder wax, easy to pour. Adheres nicely to containers first go, in colder weather it will shrink after you burn it and pop form the glass. Quite good worth trying.

Are you still loving the 4786?  I seen the video that someone posted on craftserver's FB of the 4786 and the flame seems to be very high if the wick is not trimmed super short.  I wonder if this is why Cajun recommends blending it with a softer container wax.

18 hours ago, lovelyscents said:

Yep, I have seen that complaint many many times.  I am not sure how the manufacturer and / or supplier can send out wax like this and then expects us to become the scientists and troubleshooters.  We have less time to "fix" it once we establish a customer base. 

I seem to be losing my motivation and excitement for the whole thing more times than not and its saddening.  I am getting to a point where blending coconut 1 and some beeswax sounds more promising for consistency lately.  Well, I hear mottling wax is pretty consistent also.  I have to say I am shocked 4627 would be messed up, it seems like such a basic petrolatum blend.

They obviously have no quality control whatsoever, they brag about making 40,000 lbs of wax each batch, but can’t even test a small amount first to see if it’s trashed or not. Real professional.

Now I’m back to Flaming Candles wax blends as emergency until I get something figured out.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All

I wish I would of read this before i order a bag of it. Maybe I will get lucky. Thing is I am about out of wax and thought it was time to try a net wax. I have only used joy wax so far but the 4527 sounded very similar.

On the good side I have some new oil coming and have enough wax to test it also I got a free mini fridge today checking temp range. I hope I can use it for climate control for my oils

Have a good day

Shawn

Victory 4786 will shrink quite a bit from glass. If you use in opaque containers it’s a nice wax. To make it adhere to glass for clear glass you will need to soften it. No waves, blips in this wax. Nicer than 6006, or flaming parasoy which doesn’t have throw to me or cold throw. Would make good tin wax as is, but test in summer to see how it stands up.

you could modify and make even firmer. Not the cheapest wax, and not readily available from many places.

On 1/3/2022 at 9:18 PM, TallTayl said:

Neither manufacturers nor resellers have any motivation to own up to issues. Enough People just keep buying the wax 🤷🏻‍♀️

I won't buy IGI wax again unless something changes, not that losing my business will hurt them.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Forrest said:

I won't buy IGI wax again unless something changes, not that losing my business will hurt them.

Totally agree except for one recent caveat- @bfroberts convinced me to try mottling wax. I am having a little fun playing with it just for me. 

@ErronB sent me a sample of cbl129 that worked extremely well in my 9 oz jar. Then, of course, the next lot was very different 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️

5 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Totally agree except for one recent caveat- @bfroberts convinced me to try mottling wax. I am having a little fun playing with it just for me. 

@ErronB sent me a sample of cbl129 that worked extremely well in my 9 oz jar. Then, of course, the next lot was very different 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️

Yeah... Remember my "brains" pictures of my 4794 big bloopers? Same thing is happening with CBL 129. They're getting a heavy hand with that Vybar!!! 

18 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Unfortunately the only waxes any of the suppliers near me carry, other than IGI waxes, are ProBlend 400 or CS’s new MP-117 wax. I was about to give up candle making, but in a momentary lapse of reason I ordered six Crafters Choice FOs; what was I thinking? I may try blending the MP-117 with some old 6006 I have that isn’t too bad. That would give me enough wax to make it through the year. What hurts the most is I’ve gotten pretty good at wicking; it’s a talent I would hate to waste.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2022 at 1:35 PM, ErronB said:

I used HTP / LX in it, I don’t trim my candles so I don’t have much experience with zinc wicks, plus I don’t like how they act with plasma lighters which are becoming more common these days.

I was wondering what you’re seeing with zinc wicks and plasma lighters. I’m using both exclusively right now and I haven’t seen anything alarming, but if there’s an issue there I may need to rethink. Thanks 😊 

On 2/2/2022 at 5:41 PM, bfroberts said:

I was wondering what you’re seeing with zinc wicks and plasma lighters. I’m using both exclusively right now and I haven’t seen anything alarming, but if there’s an issue there I may need to rethink. Thanks 😊 

I’ve seen some crazy pops and bangs, almost like mini fireworks or something, but I haven’t used zinc wicks in a long time so I wouldn’t know what’s causing it. @TallTaylmight know.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ErronB said:

I’ve seen some crazy pops and bangs, almost like mini fireworks or something, but I haven’t used zinc wicks in a long time so I wouldn’t know what’s causing it. @TallTaylmight know.

There was a thread recently about a zinc wick throwing extremely high flames while being lit with a plasma lighter.when exposed to high heat, zinc does do magnificent things 🙃

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, ErronB said:

Very interesting. Thank you. I haven’t seen anything like that but I appreciate being made aware. Gonna have to do some investigation.

14 hours ago, TallTayl said:

There was a thread recently about a zinc wick throwing extremely high flames while being lit with a plasma lighter.when exposed to high heat, zinc does do magnificent things 🙃

I just lit a bunch of testers to see if I could recreate and none of mine did anything alarming. In fact, I don’t see any difference in lighting a zinc vs. a CD, Eco or RRD. I wonder if there’s a difference in lighters. I’m really stumped on this one.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, bfroberts said:

Very interesting. Thank you. I haven’t seen anything like that but I appreciate being made aware. Gonna have to do some investigation.

I just lit a bunch of testers to see if I could recreate and none of mine did anything alarming. In fact, I don’t see any difference in lighting a zinc vs. a CD, Eco or RRD. I wonder if there’s a difference in lighters. I’m really stumped on this one.

Here’s the original post/thread

• Thanks 1