Who manufactures Coconut 83 and what is really in it?

Nour

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know who manufactures coconut 83?

I am very curious and really need to know because I am wondering if I can go directly to the source. It is constantly sold out everywhere and for a very long time which makes it extremely difficult to use for a candle line. 

Also, does anyone know what could possible be in it? I know it is a proprietary blend and no one really knows but if you can take a guess, what do you think?

Appreciate all the help.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nour said:

Hi everyone,

I am very curious and really need to know because I am wondering if I can go directly to the source. It is constantly sold out everywhere and for a very long time which makes it extremely difficult to use for a candle line. 

Also, does anyone know what could possible be in it? I know it is a proprietary blend and no one really knows but if you can take a guess, what do you think?

Appreciate all the help.

Accublend in CA makes it.

What is in it depends on who you ask... A partner who has been to the factory and spoke with the people who make it was told coconut, palm, beeswax and other natural waxes. I've seen facebook group leaders who spoke to resellers who insist it is vegan or that it has paraffin. 

Lead time has been long.. very long. Last year one of their pieces of equipment was out of order for quite a long time. I, too, would like to just buy a pallet and be over the long waits. It's hard to get hold of anyone in their office.

When it has gone on sale direct, it has sold out in like 5 minutes with limits. Pallet orders supposedly can be made with about 3 weeks lead time.

• Thanks 1

Accu-Blend Corporation in Perris CA is the manufacturer.  They require 1 pallet minimum order.  I am one of those who think it is made using coconut, soy, palm & beeswax.

Has anyone find difference of coconut 83 in slab form vs bead form?  They have production problem for slab form going on for a while, and they are only offering in bead form at the moment.  One of the unknown supplier, who had slab in stock while all others were out of stock, is finally out of stock now and only has it in bead form.

• 3 months later...
On 2/1/2021 at 2:23 PM, TallTayl said:

Accublend in CA makes it.

What is in it depends on who you ask... A partner who has been to the factory and spoke with the people who make it was told coconut, palm, beeswax and other natural waxes. I've seen facebook group leaders who spoke to resellers who insist it is vegan or that it has paraffin. 

Lead time has been long.. very long. Last year one of their pieces of equipment was out of order for quite a long time. I, too, would like to just buy a pallet and be over the long waits. It's hard to get hold of anyone in their office.

When it has gone on sale direct, it has sold out in like 5 minutes with limits. Pallet orders supposedly can be made with about 3 weeks lead time.

How do you arrange for shipping for a pallet? Is there a go to freight company y’all have used?

• Like 1

On 2/1/2021 at 11:04 AM, Nour said:

Hi everyone,

Appreciate all the help.

I spoke to the owner of Accu-Blend about 4 years ago- it has since been sold to an Oriental group- he told me the Coconut 83 was a blend of coconut, soy, apricot oil and palm.. I have recently spoken to someone at Accu-Blend who confirmed this. The new Coconut 84X made by Accu-Blend is  coconut/ beeswax blend. This is all they will say.. I feel it's the coconut 83 minus the palm with beeswax added.I was told that it's the same wax as the STONE CANDLES coconut wax which is coconut, soy, apricot oil and beeswax. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

UPDATE!!!  Accu-Blend is under new management, and are being forthcoming now.. In my previous post I mentioned 4 years but it's actually been more like 6 when I spoke with Henry who was the Head honcho at the time.. AT THAT TIME the 83  WAS a blend of coconut, soy, apricot and palm. The formula changed about 5 years ago into what it is today - COCONUT, PALM, food grade MINERAL OIL and food grade PARAFFIN. I KNEW immediately that the wax was different, and I HATE IT. Just wanted to let all the 83 users know this. Also, the coconut 83 sold at Virginia Candle Supply is NOT made by AccuBlend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, PINKT said:

UPDATE!!!  Accu-Blend is under new management, and are being forthcoming now.. In my previous post I mentioned 4 years but it's actually been more like 6 when I spoke with Henry who was the Head honcho at the time.. AT THAT TIME the 83  WAS a blend of coconut, soy, apricot and palm. The formula changed about 5 years ago into what it is today - COCONUT, PALM, food grade MINERAL OIL and food grade PARAFFIN. I KNEW immediately that the wax was different, and I HATE IT. Just wanted to let all the 83 users know this. Also, the coconut 83 sold at Virginia Candle Supply is NOT made by AccuBlend.

I love transparency.  And loathe that they (and cal candle supply) have lied to our faces for so long.  Even nough that is the current formula, it changes from lot to lot to not be even close most days.

I did get pretty lucky with the feb 2020 batch that performed so differently by blending with the Midwest soy lot i had on hand 5050. The weaknesses of each wax were compensated for nearly perfectly by the strengths of the other. It throws super strong with my normal 8% FO.

it was apparently immediately it was lots of paraffin in it… 🤬

• Thumbs Up 1

And another thing, lol… using the same name for two different waxes is pretty sinister. It creates a false equality between products.  We’re going through the dpsame debate with different apricot products that look, feel and perform not the same. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

All the suppliers of Coconut 83 from AccuBlend were given the same info, so it's not Cal Candles fault or any of the other MANY suppliers of this wax.. I have contacted Cal Candle and many of the other suppliers so hopefully they will all get their websites updated  with the proper info.This is AB's fault.. they haven't updated their wax info sheets on their website in many years.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, PINKT said:

All the suppliers of Coconut 83 from AccuBlend were given the same info, so it's not Cal Candles fault or any of the other MANY suppliers of this wax.. I have contacted Cal Candle and many of the other suppliers so hopefully they will all get their websites updated  with the proper info.This is AB's fault.. they haven't updated their wax info sheets on their website in many years.

I don’t fault for sharing incorrect info. I DO get annoyed when deliberately told it is all in my head. Several partners contacted calcandle about the very different accublend coconut 83 lot in February 2020 and were told it was fine, and the same as always.  

We supplied photos and videos and were told we didn’t know what we were talking about (despite having used tons of it over the years). Put all of us in a horrible bind with contract manufacture. 

• Like 1

This is recent posting from one of the Coconut 83 supplier.

UPDATES ON COCONUT 83 INGREDIENTS

Hello everyone we have some crucial information to give you regarding the ingredients in Coconut 83.

Due to some news we received this weekend we called the manufacturer this morning and confirmed that Coconut 83 contains small amounts of food grade paraffin and food grade mineral oil to fortify the wax. Unfortunately due to this wax being a proprietary blend, exact amounts cannot be disclosed. The new management, that came on board in March, has been more transparent about the ingredients in this wax. From what the new management told us today, Coconut83 is made of Coconut, Palm, Food Grade Paraffin and Food Grade Mineral Oil.

Previously we were told by some employees, that no longer work there, that this wax only consisted of Coconut, Palm and Soy and that no Paraffin was in it. Such as many of you, we are shocked about this information that came to light YET we are also grateful since now we have some transparency from the manufacturer which in turn allows us to be transparent with everyone else. We have updated our website to reflect these changes that came to light.

For those who no longer wish to use this wax due to the content of paraffin and mineral oil, we want to thank you for allowing us to serve you for the time being. We will still continue to sell Coconut83 as it has been a great wax to work with and for whoever would like to continue using it. Thank you for your time and understanding. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/14/2021 at 8:15 AM, TallTayl said:

I don’t fault for sharing incorrect info. I DO get annoyed when deliberately told it is all in my head. Several partners contacted calcandle about the very different accublend coconut 83 lot in February 2020 and were told it was fine, and the same as always.  

We supplied photos and videos and were told we didn’t know what we were talking about (despite having used tons of it over the years). Put all of us in a horrible bind with contract manufacture. 

I'm really sorry!  I began using the 83 in 2010 and it was so different and so much better than it is now.. even 6-7 years ago it was the same great wax, but I could tell immediately that it had changed  5 years ago and AccuBlend should have updated the info on the website. I hope everything works out for you!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, PINKT said:

I'm really sorry!  I began using the 83 in 2010 and it was so different and so much better than it is now.. even 6-7 years ago it was the same great wax, but I could tell immediately that it had changed  5 years ago and AccuBlend should have updated the info on the website. I hope everything works out for you!

It always varied a bit, but was always close enough. Wicking was easy. Never a cavity to speak of. Heat to 200*F-ish, add fo, stir pour, done. Now 😬

super happy I buy heavy so when I crack the code I can reuse the code for a while.

the good thing about all the wax problems across the board is we can work though pretty much anything now. 
the bad thing is the collection of waxes, wicks and additives 😂😂😂

all that said, it’s still better than soy 😆😂🤣

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

I see that on the California Candle Supply website, they state that there is no paraffin in this wax, but there is a small percentage of "petroleum byproducts"  -- they've neglected to change the tab that shows on browsers, however, it still says "all natural".

• 11 months later...
On 9/14/2021 at 10:15 AM, TallTayl said:

I DO get annoyed when deliberately told it is all in my head. Several partners contacted calcandle about the very different accublend coconut 83 lot in February 2020 and were told it was fine, and the same as always.  

We supplied photos and videos and were told we didn’t know what we were talking about (despite having used tons of it over the years).

Yep, been there and experienced that. I get more than annoyed, LOL.

• Like 1

I have 3 different candles burning right now, all different waxes and scents. 1 of them is Coconut 83 easy beads from about 2-3 years ago that I purchased. It is overpowering all other candles I have burning. Using a Cd wick, and it still hasn't mushroomed at all, and it is on its 4th burn. The only thing I did to this candle was add 3% beeswax. It cured for 2 years. Does the new formula still throw scent as good as the old formula?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ernie said:

I have 3 different candles burning right now, all different waxes and scents. 1 of them is Coconut 83 easy beads from about 2-3 years ago that I purchased. It is overpowering all other candles I have burning. Using a Cd wick, and it still hasn't mushroomed at all, and it is on its 4th burn. The only thing I did to this candle was add 3% beeswax. It cured for 2 years. Does the new formula still throw scent as good as the old formula?

The later batches smelled different (chemically), but threw nice. It’s like they douse the wax in phthalates 😂

the phthalates joke above was just that… a joke. The old FO before the consumer market went on the no phthalate crusade was so easy to work with. Rarely did we get seepage, and it  never gave us trouble to get a nice throwing candle. 

I joked that the coco83 is doused with phthalates because it allows our candles today to throw like the good old days.

that said, the last lot of coco83 I (and several chandler partners) received smelled like a chemical dip. It didn’t melt clear, and cooled with cavities.  Despite that, those candles threw like the good old coco83

• Shocked 1

On 10/23/2022 at 12:25 PM, Ernie said:

Are you talking about the real greasy ones from calcandle?  The ones you had to sit with the limited 2 cases in your cart until they said go and hope you got them?

if so ….those are the best ever 😂 aside from the original original beads form from well over 6 years ago or more 

1 hour ago, moonshine said:

Are you talking about the real greasy ones from calcandle?  The ones you had to sit with the limited 2 cases in your cart until they said go and hope you got them?

if so ….those are the best ever 😂 aside from the original original beads form from well over 6 years ago or more 

Yes it was greasy. When I would scoop it out of the bag it would just be stuck everywhere on the scoop.

You got the good stuff- so greasy and sticky and annoying ….savor that stuff and if you don’t want it let me know I will take it 😂😂

I hated it so much until I actually started using it, coco 83 in slab and cube form is good as well but this sticky stuff for some reason just works and throws like a champ! 

On 10/26/2022 at 6:48 AM, moonshine said:

You got the good stuff- so greasy and sticky and annoying ….savor that stuff and if you don’t want it let me know I will take it 😂😂

I hated it so much until I actually started using it, coco 83 in slab and cube form is good as well but this sticky stuff for some reason just works and throws like a champ! 

Ahahah, I don't have anymore of it, only the 1 candle that I had sitting for 2 years.