Shipping Service

I would like to do more "small" shipments of just one candle, but I am so confused by all the shipping rates. Does anyone have any advice of what to use for a small package (probably 6 x 6 x 6) that weighs under 2 pounds? And does everyone usually have to eat some of the shipping costs? I don't mind that...but the rates I am seeing are so high! In the past, I have usually used flat rate priority mail-but I would like to find shipping for under $10 for that size.

On 5/7/2020 at 10:10 AM, Peggy T said:

USPS Regional Rate boxes are my go-to shipping method--unless it's going across the country

Agreed. 

On 5/5/2020 at 12:59 PM, candlesinflorida said:

I would like to do more "small" shipments of just one candle, but I am so confused by all the shipping rates. Does anyone have any advice of what to use for a small package (probably 6 x 6 x 6) that weighs under 2 pounds? And does everyone usually have to eat some of the shipping costs? I don't mind that...but the rates I am seeing are so high! In the past, I have usually used flat rate priority mail-but I would like to find shipping for under $10 for that size.

My go-to box size is a 10x7x5 which is approx the size of the Regional Rate Box A from USPS. Single items usually fit in a 4x4x4 mailer. I can usually get away with first class shipping on single items (~$3.50), but going up to the Box A size is around $7-8. Cross country can easily be $8-15. Cross country rates are better with UPS. And, totally worth paying for a shipping service with negotiated rates. Paying full retail will eat you alive! 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

If you candle packaged weighs less than 16oz (1 pound) I would use 1st class mail.  ~5.50.  Anything over 1 pound you have to use Priority Mail.

This is basically the new size box I use.

https://store.usps.com/store/product/shipping-supplies/priority-mail-box-4-P_O_BOX4

I can fit up to 5 of my cans in it, Shipping starts at $7.80 for local and then goes up based on distance.

19 hours ago, MilosCandles said:

If you candle packaged weighs less than 16oz (1 pound) I would use 1st class mail.  ~5.50.  Anything over 1 pound you have to use Priority Mail.

This is basically the new size box I use.

https://store.usps.com/store/product/shipping-supplies/priority-mail-box-4-P_O_BOX4

I can fit up to 5 of my cans in it, Shipping starts at $7.80 for local and then goes up based on distance.

Do you no longer ship regional rate boxes?  Is this one more efficient?

On 5/26/2020 at 11:39 AM, MilosCandles said:

I think First Class is up to 13 ounces, although I know this type of stuff keeps changing, so I could be wrong.

I agree that the Regional Boxes can serve well under certain conditions, there are a couple of different shapes to those boxes too, which can be useful.

Also, for some labels, the Paypal shipping service can come in handy.

I hope this won't be too off-topic, but it has to do with shipping and I'm curious if anyone happens to know about sending fragrance oils.  I've read all of the details regarding the rules, but I can't seem to figure out if there is a way to mark a package "Surface Mail Only" (etc.!), and have it go First Class if it's a small box. I've read that ground/parcel is the method, but it seems it might be available for F/C.  On that note, I placed an order with a small company and they send F/Os w/ lower than the standard flashpoints F/C w/o any markings on the box!  A real no-no.

On 5/27/2020 at 8:18 AM, Paintguru said:

Do you no longer ship regional rate boxes?  Is this one more efficient?

It is actually a little cheaper than the Regional A box for pastage.  AND it can fit my Cans and Bottles a little easier with out extra packaging material at times.  

It basically  a smaller square version of the Rate A and cheaper postage. 

In order of preference and cost

Square

Rate A

Rate B

Medium Flat Rate

Large Flat Rate

I generally only use the Flat rate for shipments to Hawaii and Alaska. 

• Like 1

On 5/30/2020 at 12:39 PM, birdcharm said:

I think First Class is up to 13 ounces, although I know this type of stuff keeps changing, so I could be wrong.

If it is 1 pound (16oz) it can not go First Class.  ALL my single Can Candle orders go 1st class mail with a standard weight of 15.9oz listed on the postage label.  They usually actually weigh between 14-15oz, but MUCH easier to just leave it at 15.9.  Shipping on a 4x4x6 Box 15.9oz is NEVER more the $6, I think the most is ~$5.80

Thank you ... I signed up with Shippo at some point, compared a small package rate with the Paypal shipping and it was the same, so I printed from there for that one.  I can see how the other services can be more efficient if you have several packages.  Plus, it can be a personal preference regarding where the payment is going to be logged, if you want to have your credit card on file with the shipping service, etc.

1 hour ago, birdcharm said:

Thank you ... I signed up with Shippo at some point, compared a small package rate with the Paypal shipping and it was the same, so I printed from there for that one.  I can see how the other services can be more efficient if you have several packages.  Plus, it can be a personal preference regarding where the payment is going to be logged, if you want to have your credit card on file with the shipping service, etc.

PayPal is good, but (at least when I was looking) does not have all of the money saving shipping configuration. Seems like most of the free services have very similar rates. All are better than over the counter ❤️

On 6/2/2020 at 11:24 AM, MilosCandles said:

Look into Pirate Ship (https://www.pirateship.com/) So much better than Paypal.  It is FREE, and integrates into MOST e-commerce platforms, and is cheaper.

I took your advice and used pirateship and it was fantastic. So easy to use, free, cheaper postage price than usps web site, and live real customer service person jumped onto chat feature quickly to help out. Thanks!

Edited by candlesinflorida

On 6/3/2020 at 9:31 PM, TallTayl said:

PayPal is good, but (at least when I was looking) does not have all of the money saving shipping configuration. Seems like most of the free services have very similar rates. All are better than over the counter ❤️

I use paypal for PFRE or first class and I use Pirate Ship for everything else. I used Shippo for YEARS and I did not agree with my charges this year, I contacted them and they informed me that I had to figure out each shipping to see if it was correct or not. When I showed them charges that did not agree with my estimations they would not help me. Shippo changes their app every few months so it is a constant re-learning of the app.

11 hours ago, EAM said:

I use paypal for PFRE or first class and I use Pirate Ship for everything else. I used Shippo for YEARS and I did not agree with my charges this year, I contacted them and they informed me that I had to figure out each shipping to see if it was correct or not. When I showed them charges that did not agree with my estimations they would not help me. Shippo changes their app every few months so it is a constant re-learning of the app.

I use Shippo under 2 circumstances. 1 When I have a larger box, I can easily compare rates between USPS, UPS, and Fedex.  Usually Fedex wins out.

2nd.  Any of my Amazon Handcrafted orders, as Pirateship does not integrate with Amazon yet. :(