Need help with my wick list

Post #1!!!!

Hi all.  Love the list.  

@Forrest.  Thanks for putting this list together and for the testing you've done on 6006.

I'm looking to start using 6006 and from everything I've read it can be a pain to wick.

The container I am looking to use is a 12 oz glass mason jar.  Diameter is 2.91", which is almost identical to an 8 oz tin.  I know that temperature, materials, FO, etc affect the burn and I'm ready to do lots of testing.  All I've used for containers thus far is 8 oz tins and 6 oz jars using 464 so I'm starting from scratch.  My question is that given the similarity of the diameters between the jar and the tin would this list be a good starting point? 

Below is the jar I'm looking at.  Measurements are 4.75"height, 2.91" diameter.

12oz_canning_jar_clear_front_1000px.jpg

1 hour ago, xxxAlpha71xxx said:

Post #1!!!!

Hi all.  Love the list.  

@Forrest.  Thanks for putting this list together and for the testing you've done on 6006.

I'm looking to start using 6006 and from everything I've read it can be a pain to wick.

The container I am looking to use is a 12 oz glass mason jar.  Diameter is 2.91", which is almost identical to an 8 oz tin.  I know that temperature, materials, FO, etc affect the burn and I'm ready to do lots of testing.  All I've used for containers thus far is 8 oz tins and 6 oz jars using 464 so I'm starting from scratch.  My question is that given the similarity of the diameters between the jar and the tin would this list be a good starting point? 

Jars and tins are very, very different to wick. For a mason jar, be prepared to wick down a size or two.

What wick series are you using?

oh and welcome to the forum!

Edited by Sarah S
Manners :)

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for the reply.  I realize I'm going to have to do quite a bit of testing but was just wondering if the small side of the list would be a good place to start and just move up the ladder.  I'm in no big hurry and have plenty of time to test.

At the moment I have various LX, CD, Premier, Zinc, and a few small and medium.wood wicks.

Edited by xxxAlpha71xxx

On 6/1/2019 at 10:18 AM, xxxAlpha71xxx said:

Post #1!!!!

Hi all.  Love the list.  

I have very little experience with Jars, but here is what I would do. I would start with a CD8 and, after a two week cure; I would do a 4 hour test burn. Take pictures at 2, 3, and 4 hours. I would post the pictures here and get opinions from those more knowledgeable than I am. Then if I needed to wick up or down I would do a wickectomy and use the list to pick the next wick. With luck you’ll have a good wick by your third choice, but still on the first candle with no additional cure time.

50 minutes ago, Forrest said:

I have very little experience with Jars, but here is what I would do. I would start with a CD8 and, after a two week cure; I would do a 4 hour test burn. Take pictures at 2, 3, and 4 hours. I would post the pictures here and get opinions from those more knowledgeable than I am. Then if I needed to wick up or down I would do a wickectomy and use the list to pick the next wick. With luck you’ll have a good wick by your third choice, but still on the first candle with no additional cure time.

@xxxAlpha71xxx, that's what I would suggest too. Your idea of starting small and working your way up is solid also.

Unfortunately I don't have much experience with the wicks you listed, except the Premiers. But I've only used Premiers with palm wax, and that's a totally different scenario.

Something else I would suggest is to search the candle making forum with the key words "wicks and 6006", and wade your way through posts. You'll glean a lot of great information and tips, even if you don't find the answer to your original question.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, pughaus said:

updated list to include some htps in case anyone use them  ( I do)

CD10
WI755
LX18
CD8
WI745
LX16
CD6
HTP93
LX14
HTP 83
WI740
HTP73

do you happen to know how the lx 10 and 12's compare to htps?

CD10
WI755?
LX18
CD8
WI745?
LX16

CD6

CD5

HTP93

LX14

LX12

HTP 83
WI740?
HTP73
CD4
HTP62
LX10

@jaybeeHere's what I've got.  As always, results can vary- often for no apparent reason at all!  And FOs and containers can change anything.
Also, I'm always unsure about the premiers and where to put them comparison-wise..  I just can't get a good read on them and although I often add them to my tests, I've yet to ever settle on a premier as the best wick in any of my candles.  Last night I tested a P745 and an htp83 (Flaming Candle) side by side.  They both started out great. By hour 3.5 the P745 was a tiny flame and the htp 83 was still perfect.  MPs were the same depth but the premier just... fizzled out.  This is often the case for me, the premiers either get tiny or too big.  Can't seem to find a sweet spot with them. 

Edited by pughaus
  • Thanks 1

Thank you pughaus for your input. So true about result varying....i'm using paraffin and i'm finding the lx 12 to be between the htp 52 and 62 in my testing....yeah...i've wasted more time on premiers than I care to think about....not worth it for the mediocre hot throw they give me.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/27/2019 at 10:29 AM, pughaus said:
CD10
WI755?
LX18
CD8
WI745?
LX16

CD6

CD5

HTP93

LX14

LX12

HTP 83
WI740?
HTP73
CD4
HTP62
LX10

@jaybeeHere's what I've got.  As always, results can vary- often for no apparent reason at all!  And FOs and containers can change anything.
Also, I'm always unsure about the premiers and where to put them comparison-wise..  I just can't get a good read on them and although I often add them to my tests, I've yet to ever settle on a premier as the best wick in any of my candles.  Last night I tested a P745 and an htp83 (Flaming Candle) side by side.  They both started out great. By hour 3.5 the P745 was a tiny flame and the htp 83 was still perfect.  MPs were the same depth but the premier just... fizzled out.  This is often the case for me, the premiers either get tiny or too big.  Can't seem to find a sweet spot with them. 

Thanks for the input, I've been slow to update my list, but here is the final version. It contains several wicks I don't have, but I'm working on that. As you say this is approximate and results may vary for no apparent reason. But, for me at least this is a very useful tool. I recently used it to wick four 4630 candles based on my wicks for long cure 6006 candles and they were all good.

Zinc 60

CD10

WI755

LX18

Zinc 51

CD8

WI750

CD7

WI745

Zinc44

LX16

CD6

CD5

HTP93

LX14

LX12

WI740

HTP73
CD4
HTP62
LX10

8 hours ago, pughaus said:

@Forrest I've been testing some premier 735s the last 2 days and early results place them between the htp 62 and cd4.  Closer to a cd4.  Does that sound about right to you?

Thanks, I will add them to the list.  I just used some 735s, but I don't have htp 62s or cd 4s. The 735s are the smallest I needed for my FOs and it was only for one. I'm in the process doing an inventory of my wicks so I can fill in the gaps from the list. So far the list has been very useful. I have a list of my FOs with a baseline wick so wicking new containers will be much easier.

I'll be comparison testing a cd4 against P735 side by side later this week in 8 oz straight jars so I'll have a better read on both soon.    I'll keep you posted.

At some point I'd also like to position htp 83 in this list.   I use that one fairly regularly in 3" tumblers. 

Edited by pughaus
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I am so grateful to you for this list.  I've now actually done a set of burns from the bottom of the list to the top in an 8 oz tin and the visuals have caused me to reevaluate a lot of the assumptions I had made about wick sizes.

The one major thing I've realized is that it is possible for a candle to be overwicked and not reach a full melt pool.   In a lot of instances I had started with a larger wick than required then, when I didn't get a full melt pool, kept going up and up when I really should have been using a smaller wick than the original.  I had a container/scent combo that seemed to require a CD16-18.  When I went back and started smaller (as you recommended from the very begining-sorry, I can be a bit hard headed) and moved up the list I hit a winner at Zinc 60.   It seems that some of the larger wicks were melting so fast in the center that the heat wasn't having a chance to reach the edges.  Same thing with a different container-CD 8 but actually worked better going down to an HTP 83.  Changing that perspective put me into a place where I also found that zinc wicks don't actually mushroom as bad as what I had seen previously because I'm no longer overwicking.

It was really frustrating to see that no matter what scent, no matter what percentage, no matter what dye every 8 oz tin I did seemed to require a larger wick than anything on this list.  Now that I've actually seen how each of these wicks burn (and quit trimming them down to pretty much a nub) my testing is now lining up much better with what I've read from you and others. This list has been a huge part of finally getting my head wrapped around how different wicks and sizes perform and I've been able to get through some of that frustration.

Thanks everyone that's put time and effort into this!

• Like 3

When you guys perform wick testing on multiple candles concurrently how far apart are you spacing your containers?  I see a lot of wick testing on YouTube where they have 10, 15, 20 candles on a table all crowded up next to one another.  It seems that would skew the results because the heat given off by the candles is going to increase the air temperature in the immediate vicinity to much more than what the air temp around a candle burning by itself would be.

On 9/3/2019 at 10:09 AM, xxxAlpha71xxx said:

When you guys perform wick testing on multiple candles concurrently how far apart are you spacing your containers?  I see a lot of wick testing on YouTube where they have 10, 15, 20 candles on a table all crowded up next to one another.  It seems that would skew the results because the heat given off by the candles is going to increase the air temperature in the immediate vicinity to much more than what the air temp around a candle burning by itself would be.

I probably keep mine six to eight inches apart, but that might be overkill. I do know that even a very little external heat will mess with your test results.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...