Need help with my wick list

My list was cobbled together from various test data. I have learned is that my tests often give anomalous results, so I question everything. My other issue was some of the tests were done in cooler temperatures. My objective is to get a list of wicks from largest to smallest to use for wicking my 6006 candles. If you see anything in my list you think might be wrong please let me know, this is just my best guess based on what I know so far.

Zinc 60

CD10

LX18

WI755

WI745

Zinc 51

CD8

Zinc44

LX16

LX14

CD6

WI740

WI745

18 minutes ago, pughaus said:

I have a similar guide that's pretty much in that order but mine includes htps and no zincs. 

Did you mean to put 745 before 740 in your list?  

Thanks, that makes me feel good. For some reason I added a 745 at the end.

I've been trying to figure this out forever but if I were to position those wicks  excluding the zincs which I try to avoid on my list it would go from largest to smallest...

cd10

premier 755

lx 18

cd 8

premier 745

Premier 740

lx 16

cd 6

lx 14

To me the P 740 and 745 seemed to match up well with the cd 7 and cdn 8.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, jaybee said:

I've been trying to figure this out forever but if I were to position those wicks  excluding the zincs which I try to avoid on my list it would go from largest to smallest...

cd10

premier 755

lx 18

cd 8

premier 745

Premier 740

lx 16

cd 6

lx 14 

To me the P 740 and 745 seemed to match up well with the cd 7 and cdn 8.

Thank you! That cleared up some inconsistencies in my list. I was doing a wick inventory this morning and found some WI750s. I'm guessing they fit between LX18 and CD8.

Hello All.

Just wanted to throw this info out there if anyone is interested because I was getting confused with wick numbers and sizes and just expected them to all be sequential in size, but that's not always the case, for instance the Premier WI wicks. To help clarify some issues with wick sizes and assigned numbers, bottom line is this, pay attention to the "Yield" number and not the number in the wick name. See the links to the wick charts below for more details. I talked to one of the guys that does candle testing at Wicks Unlimited and that's what he told me to do and that's what they do for wick testing. I have been doing that with great results, it's pretty much spot on for knowing how to size up or down in a particular wick series.

"Yield - Measured in yards of wick per pound in weight. The higher the yield, the smaller the wick and the flame and the resulting heat generated."

Stabilo a.k.a CD wicks https://wicksunlimited.com/wicks/heinz-candle-wicks/heinz-stabilo-stabilo-kst-wicks/

LX wicks https://wicksunlimited.com/wicks/wedo-candle-wicks/wedo-lx-wicks/

Zinc wicks http://www.atkinsandpearce.com/candle-solutions/product-pages/zinc-core/

I can't find the link I was looking for about the Premier WI wicks.

Wicks Unlimited and Atkins and Pearce have lots of great information on their websites.

https://wicksunlimited.com/technical-resources/common-burn-issues/

http://www.atkinsandpearce.com/candle-solutions/

Another good wick chart per Wax Type

http://www.candlesandsupplies.net/wick_selection_chart_by_wax.pdf

Happy weekend to everyone.

Edited by Laura C
  • Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, Gary in Canada said:

I'm trying to save this discussion somewhere so I can quickly refer to it..is there a way to do that?

Hi Gary.

A few ways to do that are bookmark the page like you would any other webpage, click the "following" button at the top of the page or copy and paste the text into a document. :)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ravens said:

Sorry, can't help you much, I'm afraid.  I use 3 waxes: 4786, CBL 125, and 6006.  I use only zinc and HTP wicks.

I love the HTPs except for the curling, if I could solve that problem they would be my go to wicks.

I've always been confused with the sizing on the larger HTP wicks http://www.atkinsandpearce.com/candle-solutions/product-pages/htp/

The 126 is listed at the bottom of the chart.  It shows the largest flame height, largest melt pool but the yield falls between a 105 and a 1212.  I contacted them and they told me its the "largest" htp....and yet a LOT of supplier sites recommend the 126 right after the 105.. still confused.:wacko:

7 hours ago, Gary in Canada said:

I've always been confused with the sizing on the larger HTP wicks http://www.atkinsandpearce.com/candle-solutions/product-pages/htp/

The 126 is listed at the bottom of the chart.  It shows the largest flame height, largest melt pool but the yield falls between a 105 and a 1212.  I contacted them and they told me its the "largest" htp....and yet a LOT of supplier sites recommend the 126 right after the 105.. still confused.:wacko:

Oh I know, things can get confusing, that's why you have to dig a little deeper and get to the facts. But trust the charts and start with that. Once that guy explained to me how to read the charts it made sense and I've had an easier time with wicking. Those are the wick manufactures and they should know what they're talking about, LOL. I'm sure there are wick suppliers out there that haven't taken the time to fully understand the different wicks. They're probably like us, we just assume the wick sizes and number are sequential from small to large, which isn't always the case. Have fun testing. LOL 😄

I look at the ROC numbers more so than yield. Like cd14 “seems” smaller in a soy wax candle than cd12 because cs14 drinks the liquified wax more efficiently than the 12. The 12 melts more wax because it can’t consume it efficiently. And all of this is out the window once FO is introduced. 

• Like 1

On 5/27/2019 at 11:13 AM, Laura C said:

I would be cautious when using this chart. Based on this you would put a CD10 in a 3” diameter container with 6006. I wouldn’t recommend that unless you’re using candles to heat your house. However, their recommendations for the LX wicks look accurate.  

• Haha 1

On 5/28/2019 at 6:45 AM, Gary in Canada said:

I don't have my notes in front of me now but something weird happens with HTP after 105, the bigger sizes burn sometimes smaller or there is a big jump or something. I haven't gotten the end of that list to work great for me.

Here is my revised wick list, it is completely accurate for 6006, in 8oz tins, on even numbered Tuesdays. But that's pretty good for candle making.

Zinc 60

CD10

WI755

LX18

Zinc 51

CD8

WI745

Zinc44

LX16

CD6

LX14

WI740

• Haha 1

hi forrest.....i'm assuming that you're ranking these by mp size? I just did a pan test and my results were quite surprising to me as far as mp size goes....I burned them for exactly an hour and then took measurements.....is one hr enough time to do a good comparison? Ugh...I hope so......anyways, Im beginning to wonder if different waxes put the results in a different order...kwim? Thoughts?

52 minutes ago, jaybee said:

hi forrest.....i'm assuming that you're ranking these by mp size? I just did a pan test and my results were quite surprising to me as far as mp size goes....I burned them for exactly an hour and then took measurements.....is one hr enough time to do a good comparison? Ugh...I hope so......anyways, Im beginning to wonder if different waxes put the results in a different order...kwim? Thoughts?

TT is correct about the time, and I suspect different waxes give somewhat different results. I did a 6006 pan test with several of these wicks, see Wax and Wick Test section, and got some odd results. I retested then in 8oz tins and got better results.  I would say that my list is a reasonably good starting point for 6006 in 8oz tins, and might be useful information for other waxes, but more testing would be needed.

3 hours ago, TallTayl said:

1 hr is too short IMO

typically the hour per inch for several burns is needed 

then a power burn

the type and depth of your container plays a huge part. 

thank you talltayl for the info....so the reasoning is that even though one mp is smaller than another when comparing them after an hours burn....that smaller mp could catch up to and even surpass the larger one if I let it burn longer?

4 hours ago, jaybee said:

thank you talltayl for the info....so the reasoning is that even though one mp is smaller than another when comparing them after an hours burn....that smaller mp could catch up to and even surpass the larger one if I let it burn longer?

Yes.  Lots happens in later burns that you will not see unless you let them burn as you would a candle. 

On 5/30/2019 at 6:40 AM, Forrest said:

Here is my revised wick list, it is completely accurate for 6006, in 8oz tins, on even numbered Tuesdays. But that's pretty good for candle making.

Zinc 60

CD10

WI755

LX18

Zinc 51

CD8

WI745

Zinc44

LX16

CD6

LX14

WI740