Need help with my wick list

I am burning 2 8 oz tins with 4630  added 5 oz wax and .5 fo to each.  Using LX 20 and Eco 12  both burning very nice and at 2 1/2 hours have almost FMP  ,  Eco 12 closer.  Using fo HAVANA from Flaming but cannot smell anything. What??????

I am burning 2 8 oz tins with 4630  added 5 oz wax and .5 fo to each.  Using LX 20 and Eco 12  both burning very nice and at 2 1/2 hours have almost FMP  ,  Eco 12 closer.  Using fo HAVANA from Flaming but cannot smell anything. What??????

OK now I went out on my deck and can really smell it!  but not anywhere near the candle burning.  How does that work??

20 minutes ago, karinz40 said:

That's a great FO with a good, strong throw in 4630 at 6%.  I'd lower the FO % and wick cooler.

ETA:  We must have cross posted.  Must just be the air flow in your home.  

Edited by bfroberts
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, karinz40 said:

What wick do you suggest? just the next one down?   And why fo lower?  

I want so bad to learn this

I just said that because it was the only thing I could think of that may be affecting the throw. I've used that FO a lot and it's always been a super solid thrower. I always use zinc wicks with 4630 and they burn cooler, so I thought that might be the issue.   If you've since determined that it is throwing well, I wouldn't see any need to adjust the wick as long as it's burning well.  As for FO load, it throws like gangbusters at 6%, so unless you just want to use more, there's really no need.

On 9/2/2019 at 2:13 PM, xxxAlpha71xxx said:

I am so grateful to you for this list.  I've now actually done a set of burns from the bottom of the list to the top in an 8 oz tin and the visuals have caused me to reevaluate a lot of the assumptions I had made about wick sizes.

The one major thing I've realized is that it is possible for a candle to be overwicked and not reach a full melt pool.   In a lot of instances I had started with a larger wick than required then, when I didn't get a full melt pool, kept going up and up when I really should have been using a smaller wick than the original.  I had a container/scent combo that seemed to require a CD16-18.  When I went back and started smaller (as you recommended from the very begining-sorry, I can be a bit hard headed) and moved up the list I hit a winner at Zinc 60.   It seems that some of the larger wicks were melting so fast in the center that the heat wasn't having a chance to reach the edges.  Same thing with a different container-CD 8 but actually worked better going down to an HTP 83.  Changing that perspective put me into a place where I also found that zinc wicks don't actually mushroom as bad as what I had seen previously because I'm no longer overwicking.

It was really frustrating to see that no matter what scent, no matter what percentage, no matter what dye every 8 oz tin I did seemed to require a larger wick than anything on this list.  Now that I've actually seen how each of these wicks burn (and quit trimming them down to pretty much a nub) my testing is now lining up much better with what I've read from you and others. This list has been a huge part of finally getting my head wrapped around how different wicks and sizes perform and I've been able to get through some of that frustration.

Thanks everyone that's put time and effort into this!

I totally agree @xxxAlpha71xxx. With several years of wick testing, I have experienced the same things you have described.