Oh my! Did I get a deal on 8 oz Libbey Status Jars!

GailC

Should I tell the long version, or the short version.  Hmmmm. The long version. :)

My daughter found a listing on Facebook Marketplace for 12 oz Libbey Status jars with flat lids. $10 a dozen or best offer.  So I messaged the seller and told him I wanted to buy 15 dozen cases.  I asked him if he would take $125 since he said best offer and he agreed on that price. So we met yesterday and he said he just went ahead and gave me 18 dozen jars since the lids come 6 dozen to a case and he didn't want to break up a case and count out 3 dozen lids.  I gave him an extra $5.00 for the 3 extra cases, even though he said I didn't have to.  So I brought the jars home and my daughter pulled one out of the box, and it was so small!  The jars weren't 12 ounces; they were 8 ounces.  I was so disappointed.  I was looking for some 12 oz jars to replace some 12 oz jars I couldn't get anymore.

I called the man and told him I had responded to an ad that listed 12 oz Libbey Jars.  He said he couldn't believe he had done that.  Very apologetic.  I thought he just brought me the wrong jars, but he didn't even have any 12 oz jars.  

I was trying to figure out what to do, I really didn't want any more 8 ounce jars since I used 8 ounce jelly jars for my country line of candles.  But I told the guy I would keep them if he would refund me $30.  So we met again and he gave me a refund.

I got 18 dozen jars for $100.00!  That is 46 cents a jar!

Just to see how good of a deal I got, I went to Candlewic and put in 18 dozen Libbey jars.  Total with shipping and tax would have been $592.00!

I decided I will use these more elegant jars for "elegant" scents like Lemon Verbena and Aloe & White Lilac and French Lavender & Honey.  Not scents like Apple Pie and Cinnamon.  

I just had to share with you all who would understand and appreciate the awesome deal I got even if they weren't 12 ounces.

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Candybee said:

Sure the sale is good but you are still stuck with the wrong size jars. So what are you gonna do with them?

Oh I am using them.  People are liking the looks of the jar.  I can give customers a good price on an elegant jar candle since I got such a good deal.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2019 at 5:29 PM, Candybee said:

Sure the sale is good but you are still stuck with the wrong size jars. So what are you gonna do with them?

Good point. Are you saying it's like getting a great deal on a size 13 shoe when you only wear a size 8?:lol:

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, GailC said:

Oh I am using them.  People are liking the looks of the jar.  I can give customers a good price on an elegant jar candle since I got such a good deal.

You'll sell them.:) I've thought about adding that same size and type to my product line.

58 minutes ago, kandlekrazy said:

Missed this when you first posted.  That's an awesome deal!  I use the 12 oz also but hey at that price I'd figure something out as well! 

Ditto what KK said.   I'd figure out something.   Make it a limited special collection Gail!   Your great at that and I know how you sell.   You'll sell em all...

Trappeur

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I really like status jars too @GailC. Your candles look nice, not surprised they sold. I checked out your Facebook page and you've done a nice job with your products. I like the different dust covers you made and that's a handy option when you can't find a lid to fit.

Edited by Laura C
  • Like 1