What might be wrong and how can I fix it?

I burned an 8oz tin with 6006, a 51 zinc wick, and 8% WSP’s Pineapple Cilantro last night and got very poor hot throw. It was made on the 3ed so it had 23 days cure time. I had the same problem with a WSP Blood Orange I made the same day, but a third candle from that batch throws very well. I see three possible problems.

-The FO doesn’t throw well in 6006

-I need a different wick

- The problem is with my nose

Here are the solutions I came up with.

-Burn the candle again and let my wife gauge the HT.

-Burn the candle and check the burn rate and MP to see if a different wick would be better.

- Give up and move on.

-Order Pineapple Cilantro from 13 other suppliers and test them all to see which one works best.

Any other suggestions?

I had absolutely zero luck with that scent in wax or soap, so I'm inclined to think it's the FO.  Flamings Pineapple Cilantro is better.  CS's Pineapple Sage is the BEST (soap & candle both), although it's not the same as Pineapple Cilantro.  But dang, it's a strong one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, birdcharm said:

I've been reading a little bit about this wax, I might try it one day.  I've actually collected some notes about it in advance.  So, according to some suppliers, it's heated to 200dF, poured at 180-190dF ... does this sound right?

I usually heat to 190-195 so that when I add the FO the temp doesn't get below 180. I pour as soon as I finish siring and don't worry about the temp. If you want a perfectly flat surface you need to let it cool. 

34 minutes ago, Forrest said:

I usually heat to 190-195 so that when I add the FO the temp doesn't get below 180. I pour as soon as I finish siring and don't worry about the temp. If you want a perfectly flat surface you need to let it cool. 

Maybe see what happens if you heat to 200df, add your scent at about 190, stir and pour ... maybe those few degrees would help it out ...?

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, birdcharm said:

Just to follow up for my own notes ... do you think it's best to bring that wax up to 200 degrees?

Haven't had a chance to research it yet, but I heated my wax to 200 today just to be on the safe side. 

On 9/27/2018 at 1:53 PM, birdcharm said:

I've been reading a little bit about this wax, I might try it one day.  I've actually collected some notes about it in advance.  So, according to some suppliers, it's heated to 200dF, poured at 180-190dF ... does this sound right?

I couldn’t find anything about heating to 200, but the pour temperatures varied a lot. My opinion is that the blending of the wax and FO will be better accomplished at a high temperature, say 185. Often I melt the wax in one container and mix it with the FO in another. I checked yesterday and adding the FO dropped the temp by 8 degrees. I haven’t tested it, but I suspect I would see a similar drop by pouring the wax into a second container. So if I want to blend my wax and FO at 185-180 I probably need to heat the wax to 200. If I’m blending in the same pot I’m melting the wax in I only need to heat the wax to 193. As for pouring, in an 8oz tin I pour as soon as I’m finished stirring; however, in a deeper container I get craters if I do that, so I need to let the wax cool.  

Well, troubleshooting is so much fun.  It could be that switching containers is cooling the wax to a point below the optimum temp. for adding f/o for that wax.  I read about the 200dF temp. at Candles and Supplies, so I'm pretty sure that it's probably good advice.  Interesting about the craters, I thought this wax was a one-pour!

28 minutes ago, Pam W said:

My advise is to forget about experimenting with TINS(but that's just me).......like how many people really burn tins?  ...and why should I expend my energy to figure out how to burn a TIN??????

Thousands of people burn tins.... they are the favorite vessel of my customers. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Pam W said:

My advise is to forget about experimenting with TINS(but that's just me).......like how many people really burn tins?  ...and why should I expend my energy to figure out how to burn a TIN??????

I wouldn't be using tins except when I ask the extended family what container they preferred last Christmas they all liked tins. I might have debated the issue with them, but tins are a heck of a lot easier than tureens. 

Quite a few people out this way have had hand made candles in glass shatter from being over wicked, knicked, cracked, or otherwise compromising the glass. They appreciate that tins won’t shatter. 

Shipping tins is easier than glass. Once you understand how the tins conduct heat, they’re a whole lot easier than glass to wick. 

1 minute ago, GoldieMN said:

I would be willing to try tins but have always thought they get pretty hot in the last fourth of the tin.  Also, in a small tin, isn't there a good percentage of wax left in the bottom when done burning the entire tin?

GoldieMN

That’s a misnomer because people tend to overwick everything. When properly wicked there’s no more wax left at the bottom than any other vessel