Favorite type of dye for soy

I dislike liquid dye with soy, because it takes such a large amount that it's hard for me to be consistent with colors. ...AND the last batch I tried - I added dye at 150 degrees and mixed for a solid 5 mins and still ended up with the dye going to the upper half of the candle. I haven't had that problem with the dye blocks, yet.

For me personally I went to undyed candles as I use soy because eventually all the candles made in 464 frosted with dye and they looked just horrible.   They may have looked great when freshly poured, but eventually they ALL frosted and made the candles looking old and used....and just nasty for me.

Trappeur

• Thanks 1

If you are going to color soy then the best colors by far are EVO colors from candlewic. They have no smell, and they frost less. They are super concentrated. This purple one was a tester of coco83/415. That color was about 10 drops, or about .05 oz.  And the other colors were either 464 plain or Ecosoya Advanced plain. It was a long time ago lol. 

415 coco 83.jpg

IMGA0154.JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

TallTayl, who do you use for liquid candle dye. I've always used Peak, but can't get it anymore. I need to find a new source. I have all my recipes for their dye, I'm not looking forward to refiguring all of my scents for new dye next year. Thankfully I have enough to finish out this year.

Actually, I just poured the last of my wax for the year. I have enough stock now for all my remaining shows. Whew! 

5 minutes ago, Carrie said:

TallTayl, who do you use for liquid candle dye. I've always used Peak, but can't get it anymore. I need to find a new source. I have all my recipes for their dye, I'm not looking forward to refiguring all of my scents for new dye next year. Thankfully I have enough to finish out this year.

Actually, I just poured the last of my wax for the year. I have enough stock now for all my remaining shows. Whew! 

I have had great luck with lone star (hot pink), and aromahaven. I’ll need to check the others I’ve been using recently. Don’t remember off the top of my head. 

• Like 1

On 9/22/2018 at 5:32 PM, Jeana said:

If you are going to color soy then the best colors by far are EVO colors from candlewic. They have no smell, and they frost less. They are super concentrated. This purple one was a tester of coco83/415. That color was about 10 drops, or about .05 oz.  And the other colors were either 464 plain or Ecosoya Advanced plain. It was a long time ago lol. 

415 coco 83.jpg

IMGA0154.JPG

Wow!  @Jeana That is a beautiful color purple!  I just went to the CW site... I'm looking for a hot pink candle dye.  I've tried many magenta dyes but never an actual hot pink dye.  The other pic with the 5 candles has really pretty colors as well.  Have you tried the Pink from CW by chance?  TFS!  

• Like 1

On 11/12/2018 at 8:02 PM, TallTayl said:

I have had great luck with lone star (hot pink), and aromahaven. I’ll need to check the others I’ve been using recently. Don’t remember off the top of my head. 

Good to hear that the hot pink from LS is good!  All of the liquid candle dyes I own are from CS. However, they do not have a hot pink and I'm still ISO one.  I believe BC is next on my list to order from, have you tried theirs by chance?  TIA.  

On 11/17/2018 at 1:51 AM, Marleigha said:

Wow!  @Jeana That is a beautiful color purple!  I just went to the CW site... I'm looking for a hot pink candle dye.  I've tried many magenta dyes but never an actual hot pink dye.  The other pic with the 5 candles has really pretty colors as well.  Have you tried the Pink from CW by chance?  TFS!  

Thank you :) I love these colors. They are far superior to any of the blocks, chips, or liquids I've tried as for being able to color without frosting and not having the chemical dye smell. I have their pink but I've never tried to make a hot pink with it so I'm not sure if it would make that color.  It is a true pink though.  Magentas would have too much blue to make a hot pink. 

• Like 2