Puzzled by votives

Newbie here, and I’m wondering if it’s common to use votives inside container candles?  I’ve seen several companies use this technique on YouTube, but I’m unable to find any other info on the internet.  I would think this process is more work with production of the votives and trying to figure out correct wicking🤔. What do you, the more experienced candle makers think?

I'm confused as well. Votives are meant to be burned in votive containers, and not burned as little pillars. Sometimes I will pour a votive directly into the votive container and skip making them in a mold, but most of the time I make them in a votive mold.

Can you be more specific about what it is exactly you are asking, so we can give you better advice? 

So they make a votive candle with a wick...then after it’s cooled it’s placed into a container...maybe 3”..then more wax is poured over it to fill up the 3” container.  It’s putting a candle inside of a candle. Here is one of the videos I’m referring to: 

I love the items that Ariane makes, but I’m confused by this method. 

WTF? The W stands for Why...

What is the point of this? Why not just make a regular container candle? Not trying to be an ass, I'm genuinely confused by this. It seems like way too much work. And yeah, I'd the imagine the wicking would be a bear.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ditto Sarah!  What is the point like you said of making a separate votive that is of the same wax as the rest of the candle and not just pour a candle?  So much extra work she is putting into these candles is unbelievable.

I'm assuming she is most likely using 464 or 415 or 444 I'm thinking.  You just know when that candle gets down to the bottom that wick is going to be sliding all around the base as it isn't even attached to the glass.  I use those jars and those wicks she is using are htp and that one 12oz candle she put a 1312 wick in is so overwicked  it isn't funny for that jar which is a 3" diameter jar.   Well look at the melt pool depth she has in just an hour.  And she looks for a full melt pool in an hour? hmmmmm...And she has a shop and sells them like crazy also...good for her....

Well, it was a very nicely done video she did and she is a very pretty young lady.  

Trappeur

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

Ditto Sarah!  What is the point like you said of making a separate votive that is of the same wax as the rest of the candle and not just pour a candle?  So much extra work she is putting into these candles is unbelievable.

I'm assuming she is most likely using 464 or 415 or 444 I'm thinking.  You just know when that candle gets down to the bottom that wick is going to be sliding all around the base as it isn't even attached to the glass.  I use those jars and those wicks she is using are htp and that one 12oz candle she put a 1312 wick in is so overwicked  it isn't funny for that jar which is a 3" diameter jar.   Well look at the melt pool depth she has in just an hour.  And she looks for a full melt pool in an hour? hmmmmm...And she has a shop and sells them like crazy also...good for her....

Well, it was a very nicely done video she did and she is a very pretty young lady.  

Trappeur

I agree!  I use htp in 464 and would NEVER put a 1312 in that size jar.  

• Like 1

Now that we are talking about votives, I never really understood something.  What is the purpose of making votives when they are going in a glass jar to burn?  I'm assuming you just don't have to buy the jar....basically a no brainer question..right?

Another question....how do you know what size wick to even put in a votive when you don't even know what votive glass jar will be used?   So how do you figure out wicking?   When you make a votive and burn it, you are supposed to figure for a melt pool correct?

Another question..I know you are supposed to use a votive/tart wax which is a harder wax than soy but can you not make votives separately in a soy wax like say 464?

So there is the same question......how do you wick?

I've made plenty of votives meaning I poured into a jar, but never just a free standing votive without the glass.

Trappeur

Edited by Trappeur

Votives are really convenient for sampling a whole bunch of different scents. They’re harder than container wax so you can ship them and store them without damage or fear of them turning to mush. They’re softer than pillars so that they melt into A votive cup and throw brilliantly. A few of my friends have metal displays with votive cups integrated so they can switch out the scent and keep the piece of artwork intact.

Meant to be burned in tight containers. That narrows the wick a lot. 

• Like 2

I'm very tempted to leave comments on that video.  Why do people insist on jumping into things without knowing WTH they're doing?????  Then, making videos about it to lead other people in the wrong direction as well????

It doesn't look as though the wick is attached to the wax

HTP-105 is too big for the 8-ounce, not sure about the other one

Melt pools forming too quickly ... comment about that they shouldn't "dip down" at first or whatever she said is completely wrong ... they catch up, her candles are not burning for as long of a life span as they should be.

She is having all sorts of air bubble problems and surface problems due to the votive thingy ... wax not cooling evenly, pocket areas due to foreign object within the glass, etc. 

Yuk.

• Haha 1

I have been a subscriber on her channel for a few years, she is a very talented soap maker.

I saw this video when it came out a year ago and was confused too. She does explain

in her comments why she does that....to avoid craters.  If you watch her pour, she lifts

up the votive a bit while pouring...maybe that seals her wick tab on the bottom? 

This would not be a method I would use....I would still put glue or a wick stick em on that tab prior to pouring.

When burning molded votives in a votive jar, the wicks are not stuck on with a with stick em or glue either.

So I guess I cannot condemn her method...but I am not going to be using that method anytime soon

These videos make me crazy.  You know what else makes me crazy?  When this is on the descrition for an eggnog scented candle:

All our candles are made using pure 100% soybean wax and botanical oils.

Because we all know eggnog fragrance comes from plants. 
😩

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, pughaus said:

Did she just pour wax around an overwicked, unsecured votive? There must be a million ways to make a bad candle, but that's gotta be one of the more creative methods. wow.  

Yes, that's what she did.  I'm still wondering why.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, debratant said:

I have been a subscriber on her channel for a few years, she is a very talented soap maker.

I saw this video when it came out a year ago and was confused too. She does explain

in her comments why she does that....to avoid craters.  If you watch her pour, she lifts

up the votive a bit while pouring...maybe that seals her wick tab on the bottom? 

This would not be a method I would use....I would still put glue or a wick stick em on that tab prior to pouring.

When burning molded votives in a votive jar, the wicks are not stuck on with a with stick em or glue either.

So I guess I cannot condemn her method...but I am not going to be using that method anytime soon

When a votive candle in burned in a votive holder, it's similar to a pillar candle, but in a container for support of overflow since it's so small.  In other words, it's not a "container candle" and is made with a firmer wax.  So, that being the case, it doesn't require the wick to be stuck to anything.  In a container candle made of soft wax, if the wick is not secured at the bottom of the container, you're going to have drift as the candle burns down.  So, I think this is really a safety concern.  I will condemn her method due to that reason alone. 

The crater issue .... hmmmm???  If anything, she could very likely be causing craters to occur using her method.  Soy wax, in my experience, doesn't like a fast cool down, it seems to prefer warm glassware and a slow hardening.  By pouring it in a glass that already has a big chunk of cooled wax in the center, it seems that the opportunity for air pockets, craters, wet spots could be maximized.  That's what I think anyway.

• Like 1

From all of the responses I’ll assume there isn’t any reason or benefit from making candle with this process.  I know we all have different ways of creating, but after seeing another company making candle this way, I needed to seek out more expert advice.  Interesting that the other YouTube video was from a company that’s been in business since 1897.  Maybe this is a new process for them?  IDK🤔. Thanks for all your input💖

5 hours ago, bfroberts said:

These videos make me crazy.  You know what else makes me crazy?  When this is on the descrition for an eggnog scented candle:

All our candles are made using pure 100% soybean wax and botanical oils.

Because we all know eggnog fragrance comes from plants. 
😩

Try bubble gum because it's stilled spit lol!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, birdcharm said:

When a votive candle in burned in a votive holder, it's similar to a pillar candle, but in a container for support of overflow since it's so small.  In other words, it's not a "container candle" and is made with a firmer wax.  So, that being the case, it doesn't require the wick to be stuck to anything.  In a container candle made of soft wax, if the wick is not secured at the bottom of the container, you're going to have drift as the candle burns down.  So, I think this is really a safety concern.  I will condemn her method due to that reason alone. 

The crater issue .... hmmmm???  If anything, she could very likely be causing craters to occur using her method.  Soy wax, in my experience, doesn't like a fast cool down, it seems to prefer warm glassware and a slow hardening.  By pouring it in a glass that already has a big chunk of cooled wax in the center, it seems that the opportunity for air pockets, craters, wet spots could be maximized.  That's what I think anyway.

I do agree...I noticed she still had to use the heat gun.

It just seems like double the work...and the fact that, like you said, that wick will drift.  Quicker to just wick the jar. 

However you look at it, it's double the work, that is for sure.....

Does anyone know the name of her company?.  It's hard to read the label on her jar.  I would just like to go view her website.

Trappeur

Edited by Trappeur

Finally got to watch the video. Arianne is a big Canadian soaper. Her shop is adorable (only have seen in videos). She is gifted, and generous with her talent as she shares loads of behind the scenes videos of herself making product. 

The votive bit to secure the wick is strange to me. Never heard of that before. The only worries I have are:  none are really centered, and those early melt pools are hotter than I prefer for my own candles.  Oh, well. I’ll stick with my hot pot to secure wicks and single pour.

Votives have a place, for sure, just not to create extra work for me with containers. Her customers must be happy given how many she makes. 

• Like 1

I read the comments people put up under the video and so many asked about securing the candle and I don't see that she answered that question.  There were also comments about how over wicked she is I didn't see a reply to that also.  Well, it is what it is and many have such a very lucrative business in candles and how they make them and they sell with such huge "deep" melt pools and over wicking...scares me to death to even think about the way they process them that I wouldn't even try to attempt to create a candle in such a way.  All you can do is shake your head, roll your eyes and look away...As long as I know I am putting out a safe and properly made candle and don't have any frightful fears then I am happy and know I will have succeeded.

Trappeur

• Like 2