Got a challenge, could use some suggestions: superhero & fantasy candles

Darbla

I cosplay as Wonder Woman, and our group does a lot of charity stuff (kids events, reading events at public libraries, visiting patients, etc.).  Our state's big comic con is in a month and I've been asked to contribute some candles to baskets we raffle off and give the money to charities.  So I'm trying to come up with some kind of superhero scents or movie/fantasy type of thing.  For example, a green or foresty FO could become "The Shire" from the Hobbit books & movies, and something Mediterranean might get designated "Themyscira Breeze".  Not sure I like that second one, but that's why I'm asking you all and you get the drift.  I need to try to do this from FOs I already have so if I can pick your brains for suggestions I can rummage in my stash and see what I have.

I'm the Wonder Woman closest to the blond on the far left in the first pic below, and the second is just me (drat, how do you make these post smaller???).

13532797_10209639857857671_4116171792507371157_n.jpg

MSCC2017-26.jpg

Edited by Darbla
  • Like 3

That's pretty flippin cool!

What FO's do you have in your current stash, that you want to use?

I've noticed that a lot of people seem to draw correlations primarily between color and scent. So for fantasy blends, it can usually be as easy as starting with the color(s) you want, and then just using whatever FO/s correlate to those colors.

Like,

Red - apple, cinnamon, cranberry, clove

Yellow - lemon, honey

Orange - oranges, dragon's blood, pumpkin

etc etc etc

So then pretty much any comic character can have their color/s on a candle, with a scent that "makes sense" to someone just happy to have a gift basket lol.

But can get fun with it, too.. like one of those "new car" FO's could be the Batmobile, or a Thor thunderbolt candle could be ozonic (clouds) with a touch of lemon (yellow-lightning) and maybe a little masculine-themed FO blend undertone. 

Dragon's Blood works with pretty much anything space/cosmic-related for whatever subconscious reasons. 

Something herbal and generally green-correlated could be used in a Poison Ivy candle, and could add a splash of something "red" for her hair.. like raspberry, apple, cranberry, whatever.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Belinda said:

Wow Darbia! I don't know why but I always pictured you so different. I think it's the Owl picture LOL! You make a great Wonder Woman!

LOL  Thank you, I don't remember ever mentioning it on here, and I wouldn't have now but I actually could use help with ideas for the raffle.  I wish I had a nice printer and had worked on having labels and stuff like that to jazz them up, but I never pursued that.  They'll just have to be happy with my little hand-scribbled name on the warning label on the bottom.  ;)

The owl is because I'm a bird person.  There's dog people, there's cat people, and then there's...... us  :D

Bird-people-sign.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

NaughtyNancy, you are on the right track.  I like the Poison Ivy idea!  As a matter of fact, I have "wild mint and ivy" that I just came across a couple weeks ago when cleaning and organizing.  I was wracking my brain about any men's scents I had, like maybe I could slap the name "Thor" or "Superman" on them.  Black Canyon, Green Irish Tweed, and I know I have a few more masculine FOs.  I know I have something DARK besides Black Canyon that I might could label "Dark Knight", right?

I've got RE/AH Badedas which I absolutely love.  Wonder if that could be the "Themyscira", Mediterranean scent I had in mind?  I've got MW Sea Witch too, for something ocean-breezy.  I've got a ton, like you other FO ho's, too many to list, so I'll pick your brains for general ideas and then post later what I end up going with.

I need to revisit the fresh green scents I have and see what I can come up with for "The Shire" idea. 

Edited by Darbla

Just plundered.  Luckily after all the reorganizing I did recently I can find stuff fairly easily now.  Contenders that I'll experiment with over the next couple of weekends:

"Dark Knight"

-- Peak - Stormwatch

-- Peak - Black Canyon

-- Flicker's - Green Irish Tweed

"Poison Ivy"

-- MMS - Wild Mint & Ivy

-- Cajun - English Ivy

@Darbla, you look freaking amazing as Wonder Woman!!!

We are big super hero/fantasy fans here in my house. I love this stuff!

IMO the Stormwatch should be Thor, 100%. Maybe throw in a little herbal note, because you know his hair has got to smell awesome...

I think some leather and maybe a bay rum type for Batman. I would mix leather and RE's Havannah Nights, but idk if you have that.

Deadpool I would do a cilantro citrus combo, because Mexican!

I did a mix of vanilla sandalwood, lavender, and tobacco and called it Strider... My Tolkien loving friend went insane for it.

I like where you're going with the Ivy!

If I think of more, I'll add to the list!

• Like 1

Wow Darbla!!   What a beautiful picture of you!   You make the PERFECT wonder woman!   Don't  you wonder with all the great gals and guys here on the forum what everyone looks like?   I always have.   I don't even know what I imagined you looked like cause everytime I see where you have posted all I see is food because your always talking about food and all these fabulous recipes....Now I can put a face with a name instead of food!  

Trappeur

• Like 1

Yeah, I cook a lot from scratch because superheroeing doesn't come with a paycheck.  :D   If any of you have a suggestion for Black Canary, the blond on the far left in the top pic, I'd love to make something for her as a gift that won't go in the raffle baskets.  She's the hero who organizes a lot of the charity efforts in her city, and I'm next door doing it in my city.

I have 3 WW costumes:  the gladiator style that Gal Gadot has now made famous, the New 52 look that I'm wearing in the group shot above (the briefs have 4 larger stars), and then the classic Lynda Carter look.  All of these (and many more variations of her costume) have been in the comic books.  This character has been around since the 1940s and the costumes are always being redrawn, updated, freshened up, that kind of thing.  Lady Thor is in a pic below with me and some United Blood Services nurses when we promoted their "Be A Hero" campaign.

Pensacon 063.jpg

WW-UBS-and-red-wig 069.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/28/2018 at 5:37 PM, Darbla said:

"Dark Knight"

-- Peak - Stormwatch

-- Peak - Black Canyon

-- Flicker's - Green Irish Tweed

"Poison Ivy"

-- MMS - Wild Mint & Ivy

-- Cajun - English Ivy

These combos sound AMAZING and I LOVE them. 

And I am with everyone else - AWESOME Cosplay - you look GREAT as Wonder Woman. :) LOVE IT. 

I go to a lot of Comicon's and Star Trek conventions, but I never ever dress up. Most I did is for the 50th Anniversary Star Trek convention I put turquoise, red and yellow streaks n my hair to signify the 3 different divisions of the officers. 

• Like 1

OK, I wish I'd had THIS for that Dark Knight idea:

"A men's fine fragrance with a masculine combination of leather, black currant, and oak moss."

That's Lone Star's scent called Dauntless.

https://www.lonestarcandlesupply.com/dauntless.html

What I went with this time was Green Irish Tweed to keep from buying something else at the moment.  But I might have a "Dark Knight 2019" for next time.  :D

What would be your ideas for Green Lantern and Black Widow?  I also cosplay as them.  That Green Irish Tweed would be PERFECT for GL so I'll go that route next time and find something like I said above for Dark Knight.  Is there a Dior Poison FO?

Edited by Darbla

I found Drakkar Noir in my stash last night so that's now "Dark Knight" (but I'd like to try that Lone Star FO I mentioned above).

Green Irish Tweed got laterally promoted to "Green Arrow".

Wild Mint & Ivy is still "Poison Ivy".

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Darbla said:

OK, I wish I'd had THIS for that Dark Knight idea:

"A men's fine fragrance with a masculine combination of leather, black currant, and oak moss."

That's Lone Star's scent called Dauntless.

https://www.lonestarcandlesupply.com/dauntless.html

What I went with this time was Green Irish Tweed to keep from buying something else at the moment.  But I might have a "Dark Knight 2019" for next time.  :D

What would be your ideas for Green Lantern and Black Widow?  I also cosplay as them.  That Green Irish Tweed would be PERFECT for GL so I'll go that route next time and find something like I said above for Dark Knight.  Is there a Dior Poison FO?

Bitter Creek sells a Poison dupe.

Do you have Vamp Vogue from NG? That would make an awesome Black Widow fragrance.

• Like 2

On 5/28/2018 at 2:45 PM, Belinda said:

Wow Darbia! I don't know why but I always pictured you so different. I think it's the Owl picture LOL! You make a great Wonder Woman!

Yep, you blew my mind with that pic

On 5/28/2018 at 6:25 PM, Sarah S said:

@Darbla, you look freaking amazing as Wonder Woman!!!

We are big super hero/fantasy fans here in my house. I love this stuff!

IMO the Stormwatch should be Thor, 100%. Maybe throw in a little herbal note, because you know his hair has got to smell awesome...

I think some leather and maybe a bay rum type for Batman. I would mix leather and RE's Havannah Nights, but idk if you have that.

Deadpool I would do a cilantro citrus combo, because Mexican!

I did a mix of vanilla sandalwood, lavender, and tobacco and called it Strider... My Tolkien loving friend went insane for it.

I like where you're going with the Ivy!

If I think of more, I'll add to the list!

I agree with the Stormwatch suggestion and Black Canyon is a goodie IMHO.  AND a good Oakmoss is to die for...like Absolutely Oakmoss from OT.

The Sandalwood, lav & Tobacco mixture sounds wonderful.

Cuban Tobacco would also be a good addition....not sure what to blend it with but it is nice on it's own.

• Like 2

On 5/28/2018 at 10:02 PM, Darbla said:

Yeah, I cook a lot from scratch because superheroeing doesn't come with a paycheck.  :D   If any of you have a suggestion for Black Canary, the blond on the far left in the top pic, I'd love to make something for her as a gift that won't go in the raffle baskets.  She's the hero who organizes a lot of the charity efforts in her city, and I'm next door doing it in my city.

I'd suggest Rustic Lodge from RE....."the aroma of our Rustic Lodge fragrance oil is going to make you happy, happy, happy! It's strong & bold without being in your face. Notes of fresh, fruity green apple, honey, cinnamon bark, nuts, creamy caramel, maple sugar, cider spice, and warm French vanilla. This honey/caramel/apple cider blend is warm and has just a titch of spice to make it say "home, sweet home!"

• Like 1

On 5/28/2018 at 12:46 PM, Darbla said:

I cosplay as Wonder Woman, and our group does a lot of charity stuff (kids events, reading events at public libraries, visiting patients, etc.).  Our state's big comic con is in a month and I've been asked to contribute some candles to baskets we raffle off and give the money to charities.  So I'm trying to come up with some kind of superhero scents or movie/fantasy type of thing.  For example, a green or foresty FO could become "The Shire" from the Hobbit books & movies, and something Mediterranean might get designated "Themyscira Breeze".  Not sure I like that second one, but that's why I'm asking you all and you get the drift.  I need to try to do this from FOs I already have so if I can pick your brains for suggestions I can rummage in my stash and see what I have.

I'm the Wonder Woman closest to the blond on the far left in the first pic below, and the second is just me (drat, how do you make these post smaller???).

13532797_10209639857857671_4116171792507371157_n.jpg

MSCC2017-26.jpg

Awsome Wonder Woman 😀