Anyone interested in FO made specifically for candles?

LitUp

As the post title says I am wondering to see if anyone would be interested in buying FO that's been made specifically for candles. When we switched over to working with our FO manufacturer we learned that most FO on the market is made for bath and body products as well as candles.  Currently there are regulations that dictate how much of certain base components can be used in a FO formula when the FO is intended to be used in bath/body products. Since we only make candles and none are intended to be used as a lotion candle we had them start making all of our FO to be formulated for just candles.

Now I understand why most companies out there sell FO that is also rated for bath and body, because they're trying to target multiple markets. Makes sense. Since we don't make any soap or bath and body products we've been considering having FO made just for candles. Now if this isn't something that interests people we don't see any point in moving forward so here I am looking for feedback. Would this be something you as a candle maker would be interested in? We're very open to feedback so please let me know any questions or concerns you might have.

Cheers

PJ

On the surface I would say yes, but I would need to understand what the difference was. Would they be chemically different? In order to be more compatible with wax? Would you test them in various waxes and report the results? I think the devil is in the details. I don’t use soy wax, but I believe a line of FOs that was marketed as being specially formulated for soy wax would sell very well, provided they had good hot throw in soy wax.

• Like 1

Like Forrest, I'd need to know why I should choose a candle specific FO over well reviewed, great throwing, multi-use FO.  Would it be less expensive?  Easier to wick?  Cleaner burning?  UV resistant? Whatever features are used to market it, I'd need to know how and why it's preferable.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kandlekrazy said:

Many of the fo's we purchase right now are not B&B safe so many of you are already using a product made for candles, incense, room freshener etc.

Exactly this. 

However, for me, personally, because I also make soap, I won't buy a fragrance anymore that can't pull "double duty" so to speak and be able to be used in both candles and B&B. For me having a scent that is not skin safe at a reasonable IFRA rate isn't worth my time, or effort, so I skip it. 

I know a lot of candle makers that make B&B that feel the same as I do about this. 

• Like 1

I already buy FOS made specifically for wax. But I buy way more FOs made for both candles, soap & B&B because its more cost effective for me. Most suppliers already carry both. So I am not sure I see the point. Why make a FO that can only be used for one purpose unless it is scientifically formulated to produce better results. FOs that are made for both candles and B&B often share the same components for a particular scent.

On 4/25/2018 at 2:27 PM, Jcandleattic said:

Exactly this. 

However, for me, personally, because I also make soap, I won't buy a fragrance anymore that can't pull "double duty" so to speak and be able to be used in both candles and B&B. For me having a scent that is not skin safe at a reasonable IFRA rate isn't worth my time, or effort, so I skip it. 

I know a lot of candle makers that make B&B that feel the same as I do about this. 

I follow this with only a few exceptions. Since my market is pretty eclectic some scents they LOVE in candles they would never buy in skin apps, so I do carry a few single duty. I have to make them exceedingly well to prevent accidental skin product use. 

Selling off excess fo is simpler if the product is skin safe. There’s a much bigger market for them.

1 hour ago, Testing123 said:

Are we sure that a skin safe fragrance is safe in candles as far as heating and the fumes?

The IFRA certificate states all of the usage rates for 11 main usage classifications. I have never seen any skin safe fragrance that was not practically unlimited for use in the candles category. 

Just the same insist on looking at the IFRA certificate anyway.

• Like 1