What are we doing wrong?

So my wife decided to start making candles, so by default I'm making candles too...lol...here is the problem we are facing....no matter what we try we still end up with wet spots..... here's what we've done and are doing

We are using candlewic cbl 130 wax, heating to 185, pouring at 160 into clean glass, washed with Dawn and heated with heat gun just before pouring, tapping glass after pouring and putting into a cabinet to dry, I built the cabinet and it's regulated to 72-74 degrees....after 12 hrs they are removed and I find that 85% of wax not adheared to glass....

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm running out of ideas....

Edited by Candle husband
  • Like 1

If you do a search on this forum for "wet spots", you will see there are hundreds of responses indicating it is normal.  And even if your soy candle looks like it has no wet spots, it will probably develop them sometime down the road.  Others will pop in and respond, I'm sure.  Just don't fret!  And remember, "a family that makes candles together, stays together." :P

GoldieMN

• Like 3

Have you tried pouring into room temperature glass?

the heat gun could possibly be causing uneven heating of your glass is my thought....ofcourse I could be wrong....also try heating them on the lowest oven temp on a cookie sheet.

I gave up on trying to prevent wet spots. They have a knack for popping up unexpectedly at some point in the candle's lifetime. I've had them show up after burning, when moved between rooms with slightly different temperatures. They'll even pop up days, weeks, even months after pouring what appeared to be a flawless candle. And then... they may not show up at all.

Candlewic's product description for CBL 130 states that it was made to pull away from the container. Some waxes are created with that purpose in mind... if there are going to be wet spots, might as well have the wax completely pull away from the container for a uniform look. Personally, I prefer full adhesion over full separation because the candle looks smaller when the wax doesn't adhere. If partial separation is an issue, there are countless ways to encourage further separation. The easiest: expose to cool temperatures after curing.

• Like 2

As others have said, learn to embrace them. Wet spots are the very least of your worries when it comes to candlemaking. I would focus more on wicking and candle safety. You will have enough problems with that while testing out fragrances and finding those that work with your candle application. After a while, you will tend to ignore wet spots when you are at that point when you know you have a great candle that both burns and scents well.

• Like 2

No matter what you do, what tricks you find, how you stop them, it is temporary. They will ALWAYS come back. Sometimes not for days, weeks, even months, but they always, always do come back. Any type of atmosphere, temp, or climate change will have a reaction to the wax in the jar, and that will change whether the spots go away or come back. You can't control it, so it's better just to embrace them as a fact of life and move on or else you will drive yourself crazy. 

• Like 2

While they may look perfect in your controlled environment for a time, as soon as the atmosphere changes (in your car to and from a craft show, sitting on a Mail truck, being shipped via air, sitting on a retailer shelf, sitting in some customers house, after a burn) all bets are off.

make the best performing, safest burning candle you can and wet spots will receive a blind eye. 

• Like 1