FO price per candle?

So I have fallen in LOVE with WSP's Green Clover and Aloe (Aztec's paled in comparison), but when I figured out the FO cost per candle, it ended up being $4.20 per candle!!!    I just can't do it!  Just placed an order to try Peak's.  Can you recommend a good Green Clover and Aloe?

And the big question, how much do you figure you spend on FO per candle?

You numbes dont seem right. What size candle is this.... bathtub size? Lol.

But seriously.... Ill use that much for a batch... but my FO cost per candle is around  just $0.50. Obviously higher on larger candles, but still. My largest may be around $1.50.

No where near $4

• Like 1

I'm with everyone else, I think you are figuring your COP wrong, What is your FO cost per ounce? How many ounces are you using in each candle - then you can do the math from there. 

Like others have said, I think the highest cost of FO for my largest candle I make is somewhere around the $1.10 mark - that is for my average priced fragrance. There are always exceptions, with some FO's being a bit higher in price, but in the big picture that amounts to added cents, not dollars. 

Edited by Jcandleattic
grammar; wording

I got the math wrong, it ended up being 4.20 per TWO candles, not one, so $2.10 per candle, which still seems crazy.  The price for a 16 oz of this FO is 41.95, which adds up to $2.62 per ounce.  I make 8 oz candles (1/2 lb each) and scent at 10% (.8 oz per candle).  .8 x 2.62 gets me about $2.10 of FO per candle.  I wish I could afford the 10 lb drum, but alas, I can not.  

Any suggestions for other Green Clover and Aloe (besides Aztec's)? :)    

That price does include the shipping.  Their oils are higher priced but when you figure in shipping it's not to bad.  They have some oils I love so I just grit my teeth and add it to my cart! 

Edited to add I just average up the cost of all fragrance oils and use that average for all.  

Edited by grama

9 hours ago, ellajoan said:

I got the math wrong, it ended up being 4.20 per TWO candles, not one, so $2.10 per candle, which still seems crazy.  The price for a 16 oz of this FO is 41.95, which adds up to $2.62 per ounce.  I make 8 oz candles (1/2 lb each) and scent at 10% (.8 oz per candle).  .8 x 2.62 gets me about $2.10 of FO per candle.  I wish I could afford the 10 lb drum, but alas, I can not.  

Any suggestions for other Green Clover and Aloe (besides Aztec's)? :)    

But that is also shipped -people forget this and people complain about their prices but if you add shipping into buying a 16 ounce quality bottle somewhere else the math won't be much different - I've done this many times but location matters also with shipping rates 

you get 2 candles per pound  - try backing your FO down to 1.25 or 1.5 ounces per pound, I use soy and this plenty good coming from someone who used to use 10% also

WSP quality skin with SC are some of the best imo for soy so I use them and price my candles accordingly 

20 minutes ago, moonshine said:

But that is also shipped -people forget this and people complain about their prices but if you add shipping into buying a 16 ounce quality bottle somewhere else the math won't be much different - I've done this many times but location matters also with shipping rates 

you get 2 candles per pound  - try backing your FO down to 1.25 or 1.5 ounces per pound, I use soy and this plenty good coming from someone who used to use 10% also

WSP quality skin with SC are some of the best imo for soy so I use them and price my candles accordingly 

If my FO doesn't work at 1oz per lb (or less), I dump it. That just gets too pricey. I do parasoy, though. So throw issues aren't quite so difficult to nail down.

Parasoy is so much easier for throw isn't it....I was amazed how much less I could use 

I started years ago with the mind set that more is better and it's just not true but with soy it is harder and I cannot get throw at 1 ounce per pound no matter the oil 

• Like 2

Wait...did I just read that correctly? You paid $42 for 16 ounces of FO and are wondering why the cost per candle is high??? Thats pretty self explanatory to me my friend. Only ONE of my FO is on the "expensive" side at just shy of $20 per 16 ounces and I have a hard time justifying that. If it were me, I would forget about that FO til I found a suitable alternative. I cant imagine you could turn a profit with a FO that rediculously over priced. Shame on that supplier for charging so much

Totally depends on your market.

when I started out I struggled to sell items at my local events. Turns out my locals were not my target market.

When I finally found events where "my" kind of customers shopped I could finally charge enough to make those fragrances well worth the price. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Clear Black said:

Wait...did I just read that correctly? You paid $42 for 16 ounces of FO and are wondering why the cost per candle is high??? Thats pretty self explanatory to me my friend. Only ONE of my FO is on the "expensive" side at just shy of $20 per 16 ounces and I have a hard time justifying that. If it were me, I would forget about that FO til I found a suitable alternative. I cant imagine you could turn a profit with a FO that rediculously over priced. Shame on that supplier for charging so much

No, I didn't pay $42 dollars for it, and I won't do so.  That's what WSP charges for 16 oz of it.  I made a few candles w/ samples from a 2 oz size (that I had on hand back from my soaping/lotion days) and love the fragrance, but would never use it to make candles to sell--that would be costing WAY too much per unit and isn't smart business for anyone.  Just looking for a dupe of Green Clover and Aloe that I love as much as WSP.  

12 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Totally depends on your market.

when I started out I struggled to sell items at my local events. Turns out my locals were not my target market.

When I finally found events where "my" kind of customers shopped I could finally charge enough to make those fragrances well worth the price. 

Exactly 

higher priced quality oils have a market and I myself am in one of those as well

my customers always compliment the depth and complexity of my fragrances and gladly pay more for them 

And again....that 42.00 bottle IS WITH SHIPPING 

if I order a 16 ounce bottle of Amish harvest at peak it's 24.99 - the shipping is 12.55 to get it to me so that makes it 37.54.....not a whole lot of difference there, were talking 2.35 a ounce vs 2.63 and if it's an oil that's unique and doesn't smell cheap how can you say it's not worth it.....if your customers love it also and will pay 

if you order multiple bottles from peak shipping doesn't go up as much as double but for me I don't always need multiple bottles from any one supplier 

Edited by moonshine
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, moonshine said:

Exactly 

higher priced quality oils have a market and I myself am in one of those as well

my customers always compliment the depth and complexity of my fragrances and gladly pay more for them 

And again....that 42.00 bottle IS WITH SHIPPING 

if I order a 16 ounce bottle of Amish harvest at peak it's 24.99 - the shipping is 12.55 to get it to me so that makes it 37.54.....not a whole lot of difference there, were talking 2.35 a ounce vs 2.63 and if it's an oil that's unique and doesn't smell cheap how can you say it's not worth it.....if your customers love it also and will pay 

if you order multiple bottles from peak shipping doesn't go up as much as double but for me I don't always need multiple bottles from any one supplier 

I wouldn't imagine that most of us are paying that shipping for one bottle at a time though. You have to figure in average shipping and total landed cost when considering the whole order. Sure, if I bought every bottle of oil by itself my price per bottle would be around $35+ too. But that is insane. I plan and buy as much as I can at once. So lets say my average 16oz bottle of FO I buy is $18.... even after figuring in shipping I am still gonna pay less than $20 a bottle. 

I guess, what I am getting at is.... that I cant believe they would have said their oil was $42 a bottle and they are trying to figure out how to get it cheaper... unless they intended to keep buying it that way. Which is kinda crazy. ANY supplier when buying one bottle at a time is going to be nuts. So everyone has been correct on here. Yes $42 is insane. But yes, for one bottle (plus shipping) that may be normal. But since the topic of this post was about how to lower the cost and they were bothered by how expensive this oil is.... then we have to answer like Clearblack and myself did.....which is:  Paying that much for one bottle is crazy.  THAT is why her price per candle is so expensive! So I think the clear answer to the problem here is to not to buy one bottle at a time. The more they buy, the cost per candle goes WAY down. The problem here isn't the cost of her FO, its the qty for one shipment.

• Like 1