Scary wick. Scary customer.

Hello, I received a call yesterday from a local customer that the jar cracked on one of the candles they were using as a tester in their store. Since they were local, I was able to run over to see for myself what the problem was. It appeared that the wick moved and was up against the glass. It made the label singe a bit and also shattered the glass. One thing I noticed was that there were about 5 matches in the jar! It looks like the store owner actually has been lighting the candles, then throwing the match right in with the wax. ???!!! I use a high temp glue gun, and haven't noticed this happening with any of my testers, and haven't received this feedback from anyone else. Now I am mildly freaking that I have candles out there that might be prone to having the wick move. I read one thread stating that the wick should extinguish itself when it gets to a certain point, but I've tested candles and see that they can burn to the point of most wax being gone. So, I guess that's one issue, and the other is the moving wick. I see that people use silicone, but up until yesterday, thought the glue gun was doing its job. I imagine glue dots would behave the same as the glue gun... 

Those wick stickums work great.  The only time I've had them move was in a tiny jar pouring really hot palm wax, like 200 degrees. 

As far as the other issue, most wicks will extinguish when they get to the top of the metal piece which typically leaves a bit of wax on the bottom of the jar.

• Like 1

I'm not so sure your wick moved or that it would have moved if matches were not left in the candle ... if those matches stayed lit, then my guess is that the wax got hotter than it normally would.  Your customer doesn't know how to burn candles.

I've never heard of anyone doing this and wouldn't even think that someone would think of it.  It's so stupid beyond belief that I can't help myself but to be rude in my reply.

If you tested your candles and they performed correctly, then I wouldn't give it another thought.  Your customer needs to be instructed on the proper way to burn a candle.

• Like 2

I would like to add, that there was a thread somewhere here not long ago in which wick tab sleeves (or necks, or whatever you call them) was discussed, I'll try to look for it for you unless anyone else happens to have it handy.  Do you know the length of the metal piece on your wick tab?  Some are 3mm -- if you have that type, you may wish to switch to 6mm or 10mm.

Edited by birdcharm

The little wick tabs will continue to suck wax up and through if not completely sealed on the bottom.

Search terms  like "wandering wick". I remember learning a lot way back when. 

As for debris in the jar, the matches likely did not ignite, but it makes you wonder if they paid any attention at all to the wick length or burning time. 

• Like 1

@birdcharm I couldn't agree more, and couldn't believe what I was seeing! I guess there are people out there that just have no clue. Freaked me out a bit! The last thing we ever want to do it create something extra hazardous! As far as the base, it's definitely a 3mm. It figures I just ordered a bag of 500. I guess I'll have to upgrade. Do you ever make your own?

@TallTayl do you mean the bottom of the tab not being glued down enough, or the crimp in the neck? I usually buy my wicks from Candlewic, I just examined the neck and it doesn't seem super crimped. 

7 hours ago, TallTayl said:

The little wick tabs will continue to suck wax up and through if not completely sealed on the bottom.

Yet, if you have a longer neck, crimped tightly, the candle will extinguish when the level of the candle approaches (goes under) the height of the crimping.

If you make your own wick assemblies as I do, make sure you crimp high and hard. If you don't, the wax will wick/burn all the way to the bottom. I've got strong hands, and I still don't always get it right. In addition, If you crimp too low, you can easily bend the bottom metal base so it no longer sits flat. So the trick is to find the happy medium.

Also, it can be difficult to find a la carte 9 or 10mm wick tabs separately in reasonable amounts. Candlewic, if I recall, does sell bags of 9mm ones. There are probably others, but I just decided to stick with my existing 6mm ones since I don't sell my candles, and only give to people I know to be responsible.

Edited by Incendia
  • Like 2

I found the link to the earlier thread about this topic, plus the post I made with the photo, so I'm going to link it here.

Other thread

20 hours ago, Lori said:

@birdcharm I just had an idea. Instead of getting all new wicks, I can just buy the 6mm or 9mm sustainer base and just cut off the 3mm. I guess that's a start! 

That would work ... also, I was thinking, esp. for personal candles, I bet there's some sort of "costume jewelry find" somewhere that offers a metal tube bead that could be used ... something like this, although I was thinking of a tube bead.  Of course, the opening in the bead needs to be able to accommodate the width of the wick.  Just a thought anyway!

Edited by birdcharm

On 4/1/2017 at 0:07 PM, TallTayl said:

Search terms  like "wandering wick". I remember learning a lot way back when. 

As for debris in the jar, the matches likely did not ignite, but it makes you wonder if they paid any attention at all to the wick length or burning time. 

I am amazed at how many people tell me they didn't know they needed to trim the wick, or that they shouldn't burn for an entire day!

On 4/1/2017 at 11:51 AM, birdcharm said:

I'm not so sure your wick moved or that it would have moved if matches were not left in the candle ... if those matches stayed lit, then my guess is that the wax got hotter than it normally would.  Your customer doesn't know how to burn candles.

I've never heard of anyone doing this and wouldn't even think that someone would think of it.  It's so stupid beyond belief that I can't help myself but to be rude in my reply.

If you tested your candles and they performed correctly, then I wouldn't give it another thought.  Your customer needs to be instructed on the proper way to burn a candle.

I agree....that wax must have got mad hot and the wick drifted off to the side.  I have had that happen a few times and it really gave me the willeys....

And yes, I agree the customer like most all of them don't know how to properly burn a candle and need to be educated as stupid as it sounds, but it's the truth.  Just the other day I stopped by one of the shops I sell to and one of the employees and I were chit chatting and she was telling me how nice my candles were as she buys them from the store and when we got around to talking about how to burn a candle properly which I've told them how till I'm blue in the face and I told her how to extinguish a candle by pushing the wick back into the wet wax so it is primed for the next burning and she looked at me and said "Wow, really?  I just put the cover on it to put out the flame..."   Unbelievable....nothing fazes me anymore....

Trappeur

• Like 2

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 2:44 PM, Trappeur said:

I agree....that wax must have got mad hot and the wick drifted off to the side.  I have had that happen a few times and it really gave me the willeys....

And yes, I agree the customer like most all of them don't know how to properly burn a candle and need to be educated as stupid as it sounds, but it's the truth.  Just the other day I stopped by one of the shops I sell to and one of the employees and I were chit chatting and she was telling me how nice my candles were as she buys them from the store and when we got around to talking about how to burn a candle properly which I've told them how till I'm blue in the face and I told her how to extinguish a candle by pushing the wick back into the wet wax so it is primed for the next burning and she looked at me and said "Wow, really?  I just put the cover on it to put out the flame..."   Unbelievable....nothing fazes me anymore....

Trappeur

Truly there is nothing wrong with how she is putting the candle out. Any way you do it really is fine and won't make any difference in the long run. Blow it, snuff it, dip it, they all likely need to be trimmed before they are lit again. Also, wicks really don't need a prime, especially after their initial burn.

Yah I dont understand all these things I read about having a wick "re-primed" before being re-lit each time.

Thats just nonsense. They will light just fine every time after (unless you're just using cheap non professional wicks).

As far as the issues with this cracked jar.

1) Use wick stickums so the wick wont easily move all over especially the base of it.

2) Use appropriate wick size

3) Remind customer to trim wicks so it doesn't get too large and too hot

4) Experiment with cored wicks. If you are using wicks like CD, etc.... you have a higher risk. They are "floppy"

for lack of better word. They move and lean more than others. Not saying you have to use zinc, but try wicks that have

some rigidity. 

5) Tell your customer to stop leaving debri in the wax. I doubt it will cause lots of issues, but it could be pushing the wick around.

6) I'd have a serious talk with your customer. If this person is selling your candles in their store and yet they are burning them

so inproperly, its going to make you and your candles look bad. Will hurt sales for you and them. Show them what to do and if they

aren't going to listen... find another store.

No worries :) I also find that dipping the wick prevents the smoke puffs and glowing wick in container candles. They do seem to light more easily after a quick dip too. I see no downside to dipping any candle wick to extinguish. 

The reason I always try and dip my wicks into the wax is because so many said it's the right thing to do to properly burn a candle.  So I started doing that.  It's like where you read your supposed to stir for 3 minutes after you put your oil in.  Well, I never really did do 3 minutes but stirred till I got it right.  But like TT said dipping the wick to extinguish stops puffs of smoke and the glowing.  And also too when you go and relight the candle little charred black stuff from the wicks that spurts into the candle now doesn't happen and the candle  I think remains cleaner.

Trappeur

• Like 2

I snuff out my wicks with a candle snuffer (bell-shaped brass on the end of a little stick), or, if I don't have that handy, an old fork, lol. 

Of course, if you blow out a candle, it will smoke, any mushrooming might spray into the candle, and some say that the wick may bend over and when the candle hardens, the wick is buried.  I think if a jar lid is used as a cover to smother the candle, the inside of the lid is going to get blackened, and the inside of the glass may also, so I don't think it's a very good idea myself.