Aluminium bottom on the wick

Hi!

I am making natural candles and using some organic ingredients as well, so I really dont want to add a  component to my candles that can affect the purity of my candles.

I have bought prewaxed and cut wicks, and the bottom part has a small aluminium round plate. 

Should I cut this off?

That piece will not affect your candle anyway.  Candles are meant to burn just to the top of that piece.  Your wick will float without it and will be very difficult to center.  It's near impossible to make an "all natural" container candle.  Even most soy wax has additives in it.

• Like 1

I agree -- no such thing as a 100% natural candle, imo -- even soy has its issues.  Is the pre-waxed wick is a soy coating?  I know that some are, but some are also dipped in paraffin wax, so you just have to check that out.  If you don't want any metal in your candle, you'd have to bury the wick in rocks or something so it stays secured to the bottom of the container.  In any event, as Trappeur has noted, (unless you come up with some other way), you can't cut off the wick base and have a working candle -- that metal base secures and centers the wick, as well as extinguishes the candle when it approaches the bottom; a much needed little piece of equipment.

23 minutes ago, kandlekrazy said:

That piece will not affect your candle anyway.  Candles are meant to burn just to the top of that piece.  Your wick will float without it and will be very difficult to center.  It's near impossible to make an "all natural" container candle.  Even most soy wax has additives in it.

I only asked this because I remember watching a tutorial on youtube and the person just used a plain wick. Thanks for the answers :)

Just now, birdcharm said:

I agree -- no such thing as a 100% natural candle, imo -- even soy has its issues.  Is the pre-waxed wick is a soy coating?  I know that some are, but some are also dipped in paraffin wax, so you just have to check that out.  If you don't want any metal in your candle, you'd have to bury the wick in rocks or something so it stays secured to the bottom of the container.  In any event, as Trappeur has noted, (unless you come up with some other way), you can't cut off the wick base and have a working candle -- that metal base secures and centers the wick, as well as extinguishes the candle when it approaches the bottom; a much needed little piece of equipment.

:read: Im still learning haha Thanks for the reply. I will not cut them off then...

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, craftwerks said:

:read: Im still learning haha Thanks for the reply. I will not cut them off then...

It amazes me how people get away with putting up tutorial on how to make a candle when they put stuff like that up there.  I just want to reach in to this computer and pull the hair out of the ones who do that.   So very unsafe a lot of these tutorials are....I've seen some where they do just that to, just stick a wick in... and a lot of times I have even seen videos where they use any ole wick....Makes me shutter.

Trappeur

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

It amazes me how people get away with putting up tutorial on how to make a candle when they put stuff like that up there.  I just want to reach in to this computer and pull the hair out of the ones who do that. 

I saw a DIY candle video just the other day. The instructor in the video said, "If anyone tells you there are rules in candle making, just tell them to go away." Couldn't believe it. I was so upset, I couldn't even finish watching it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PhoenixFyre said:

I saw a DIY candle video just the other day. The instructor in the video said, "If anyone tells you there are rules in candle making, just tell them to go away." Couldn't believe it. I was so upset, I couldn't even finish watching it.

Now that we are on the topic, are there any other basic candle making or safety measures that I should know?:huh:

1 hour ago, Trappeur said:

It amazes me how people get away with putting up tutorial on how to make a candle when they put stuff like that up there.  I just want to reach in to this computer and pull the hair out of the ones who do that.   So very unsafe a lot of these tutorials are....I've seen some where they do just that to, just stick a wick in... and a lot of times I have even seen videos where they use any ole wick....Makes me shutter.

Trappeur

Ugh, my favorite kind of tutorials... "Look, you can make these super cute mason jar candles - just go to your craft store and get a roll of wicking.  Pour your wax and add however many drops of essential oils you want.  Wait an hour or two for it to harden, and light!" :mellow: lol

4 hours ago, Trappeur said:

Trappeur

The DIY herbalist and essential oil ones are the things that invoke this reaction in me. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, craftwerks said:

Now that we are on the topic, are there any other basic candle making or safety measures that I should know?:huh:

Craftwerks can you tell how you are making your candles?   What jar or jars you have selected, what oils and where from, what wax and what style wicks and sizes you bought?   Have they cured?  What procedure (steps) are you taking to make a candle.

Trappeur

What is unnatural or impure about aluminum? It's a naturally occurring metal. It's not 'organic' in the strict chemical sense (no carbon), but neither is glass (essentially melted sand). What does 'natural' even mean these days?  On food products, it's basically meaningless.

Totally agree about many of the YouTube videos. I've watched many of them and at times am horrified by what some of those people do. I hope there haven't' been too many injuries. 

19 hours ago, ehatch1 said:

Ugh, my favorite kind of tutorials... "Look, you can make these super cute mason jar candles - just go to your craft store and get a roll of wicking.  Pour your wax and add however many drops of essential oils you want.  Wait an hour or two for it to harden, and light!" :mellow: lol

Yep!  Voila!  just do all this and you have made a candle!  Unfricken believable.  And in the mean time, they are ordering their labels and will be selling them next week.....lol....what a joke!

Trappeur

• Like 1

Or what about the videos that show about as much instruction, and then say 'You can start a business selling candles' and make $$$ just by doing this... 'Just buy our kit.'  Right.....

edit:  Opps...pretty much what you just said Trappeur.  It's early here. Besides, I just bought my candle-making kit and want to start my business this morning. lalalalaalaaaaalllaaaaaaa

Edited by Incendia
  • Like 2

On 28.2.2017 at 3:39 AM, Trappeur said:

Craftwerks can you tell how you are making your candles?   What jar or jars you have selected, what oils and where from, what wax and what style wicks and sizes you bought?   Have they cured?  What procedure (steps) are you taking to make a candle.

Trappeur

I am using rapeseed wax. I have also bought brown glass jars (30 ml, 120 ml, 160 ml). I bought my wick from the same company and it is supposed to fit my containers (all three are under the 65 mm recommendation). 

I have only started, but I have been planning this for two months now. Currently I have only got as far as melting my wax and testing how they burn in order to uncover any problems. I have a long way to go...:read:

On 28.2.2017 at 4:20 AM, Incendia said:

What is unnatural or impure about aluminum? It's a naturally occurring metal. It's not 'organic' in the strict chemical sense (no carbon), but neither is glass (essentially melted sand). What does 'natural' even mean these days?  On food products, it's basically meaningless.

Totally agree about many of the YouTube videos. I've watched many of them and at times am horrified by what some of those people do. I hope there haven't' been too many injuries. 

Im not looking for organic anymore (although that was my first intention). Im just trying to find ways to minimize the usage of toxic chemicals and I was unsure if aluminium would contribute to that.  

I have another issue. The glass jars I bought are too hot when they burn. My smaller jar wax is burnt about half way and the jar is so hot I can not even rest my hand on it. 

I have seen so many places sell these type of candles, but it can't be okay to sell them when the jar produces so much heat...? :confused:

3 minutes ago, craftwerks said:

I have another issue. The glass jars I bought are too hot when they burn. My smaller jar wax is burnt about half way and the jar is so hot I can not even rest my hand on it. 

I have seen so many places sell these type of candles, but it can't be okay to sell them when the jar produces so much heat...? :confused:

Sounds like your wick is too big for that sized jar. Can you post a pic? 

8 minutes ago, Jcandleattic said:

Sounds like your wick is too big for that sized jar. Can you post a pic? 

It won't let me upload. I will just post the links to the items I bought instead. They are in Swedish and Norwegian but it will give you an idea...

https://www.sunvita.no/lag-selv-raps-og-soyalys/veker-til-lys/veke-srv12-lengde-120-mm-naturvoks-15-mm-tab.-50-stk - the wicks i use

https://opella.se/product.html/glasburk-30ml?category_id=17 - the smallest jar 

26 minutes ago, Jcandleattic said:

It's hard to tell without actually seeing how the candle is burning. How deep is your melt pool after how long burn time?

Okay, so I found a place to upload them

V06wuu.jpg

Vrtd3W.jpg

Edited by craftwerks

4 hours ago, craftwerks said:

Im not looking for organic anymore (although that was my first intention). Im just trying to find ways to minimize the usage of toxic chemicals and I was unsure if aluminium would contribute to that.  

Though it is relatively soft and can corrode more easily than other metals, Aluminum is generally considered safe for humans. Many cooking pots and pans are made of it, as well as most soda and beer cans, and a growing number of other canned goods.

All wick tabs might not be made of aluminum, however, but they are likely still safe. Here is what Candles Science says of theirs:  "CandleScience wick tabs are made of thick steel coated with tin to resist corrosion by essential oils and fragrance."

A couple of things are going on:

That wick is way, way, way too big for that jar. 

the wick tab has moved out of center potentially heating one side of the glass much more than the other putting the jar at a risk for shattering.

30ml is a very small candle and will be very hard to wick.

• Like 2

0.o Umm, yeah, what the others have said, way too much wick for that sized jar. You need something much smaller. Maybe try a tealight wick for that jar? Also are gluing or sticking your wicks down so they don't move? As TT has mentioned it looks like the wick has moved off center either by the whole wick moving, or the wick itself not being pulled tight and has floated off center. 

• Like 1