Traveling Funnel Disaster

chuck_35550

Here are the cuts. I need some feedback if some of you don't mind. The traveling funnel is terrible. Not enough soap in the mold (learning curve for new mold) but I think it's cut wrong. Whats the correct way to cut this swirl? It's a full gel with a ton of ash and the color is really muted. Maybe cut it down to guest sized soaps?

IMG_0046.JPG

IMG_0047.JPG

• Like 4

Same here... really love those circles pattern. The cut soaps look fine to me. Since its a slab mold that's the way I cut my soap.

If you want to get the circles centered for each soap you can put cut lines on the side of the mold.

So what is a traveling funnel? What does it do? Or is that the name of the pattern?

Edited by Candybee

7 hours ago, chuck_35550 said:

The faux traveling funnel is taking your squirt bottles and making (in this case black) make a series of dots and then fill in with a different color, pushing the black into an outline. Layering until the mold is full. There are good tutorials on YouTube.

Yeah. I've seen it, and I love the look, but, nah... Too much work for me... Also, I have no idea how to get a soap to last long enough to be a good soap and still be fluid by the end of that complicated pour... I could do it with a Castile but, "ain't nobody gonna want dat slime!"

Props on ya though Chuck for doing the pour! Honestly It looks great to me. 

3 hours ago, Sponiebr said:

Yeah. I've seen it, and I love the look, but, nah... Too much work for me... Also, I have no idea how to get a soap to last long enough to be a good soap and still be fluid by the end of that complicated pour... I could do it with a Castile but, "ain't nobody gonna want dat slime!"

Props on ya though Chuck for doing the pour! Honestly It looks great to me.

If you do a high lard recipe and soap somewhat cool and bring it to just emulsion it will give you a lot of working time.  Unless you use an accelerating EO/FO of course.

• Like 1

The cut looks appropriate for the style. 

For ash prevention, have you tried alcohol? Once the soap starts to set up, mist 91% (or higher) alcohol on the top, then cover as you normally would. I use 91% isopropyl alcohol in a trigger sprayer mist bottle. 

Looks fine to me. To avoid ash I first spray my soaps with RA, then cover my soaps lightly (very lightly to not disturb any pattern) with saran wrap. 

To get the bottom to look closer to the top, I would plane them. The muddied look doesn't look too deep, so a few swipes on a planer should do it. 

Now that you explained the swirl I remember seeing that somewhere... youtube? soap queen vid? I think it looks pretty darn good!

Re ash: when I first starting making soap I would get ash. Now I rarely get it. All I do is make sure my soap is covered as soon as I pour it into the mold. I keep it covered and NO PEEKING! for at least overnight or minimum of 18 hours. Its the air that oxidizes the top layer so you want to minimize air exposure to the soap WHILE is is saponifying. Works for me. I have never used any alcohol or sprays.