Most likely, this has been discussed before, but I went on a search and didn't come up with anything, so I'm going to ask!

I've read discussions about securing wicks -- I've always used a high density candle gel -- dip the wick into the gel, land it in the glass, press down all around, wait for it to cool.  And, I recently saw that someone here used tacky wax -- I found my little stash of tacky wax, so I'm going to give that a try and see how I like that. 

Anyway, I'm out of gel right now, so thought about getting a glue gun.  I see that there are also dip/melting pots where the glue is placed into the little pot which looks interesting to me, esp. for wick tabs, but I would need to learn more about them.  I've read (here) that a high temp glue gun is what to look for ... is that a 20 watt?  I'm a little confused, as I've seen 40 watt ones, which may be the one I'm supposed to get; and, I've seen 10 watt that say "high temp," but I think they're lying.  Does anyone here have experience with the melting pot method and if so, what type of glue is best used for those?  It does seem that I will need to purchase glue gun sticks that are for the higher temp gun, as they do not appear to all be the same -- is this true? 

I'm thinking for a gun that I should get a dual temp and look into the melt pot method later.  I saw that there is a type of glue they use with those that won't "string" -- I guess people use those with silk flowers.

Thanks for any tips!

Are you trying to glue down a wick that  has the metal wick tab atttached to it in a candle jar?

I really don't understand what your talking about.  I've never heard of anything like what your talking about.

Trappeur

Yes, the metal wick tab that gets glued to the bottom of the glass container -- in other words, rather than using the wick stickers (I may try some stickems some time, but the glue dots seem to come undone for me).

P.S.  I apologize for the confusion ... I left a word out up there, I should have said that I have always used candle gel by dipping the wick TAB into the gel.

Edited by birdcharm
Add P.S.

I don't know...but why don't you try the wick stickums that candle suppliers offer like Bittercreek, Flaming, Aztec ( companies that I recommend) from my experience.  At least the wick stickums are made specifically for glass containers.  I was reading on the specifics of the hot glue sticks in your links and I don't see anything that says made for glass.  Me personally as I sell to shops, I'm not willing to experiment with something that isn't recognized by the candle industry as I couldn't take the chance of a mishap with someone burning a candle and the wick release from the jar.  I've read more negative comments from   others not liking glue dots than liking.  Now I do know that the red GE silicone gasket sealer is another option that is terrific as I have used it b/4 in an emergency and is highly recommended by others who have used it.  I'm sure there are mixed reviews on this discussion and there are some that do have good experience with glue dots or other things, but me personally, I'm not willing to take the chance.  And besides that seems like a lot of work than to just stick a stickum to the wick.  This is just my opinion.....:)

Trappeur        

• Like 1

No, I didn't say that Birdcharm....I just didn't see anything about using for glass.  I know others use glue sticks and I don't want to down anyone at all.  It's just we all have our opinions, you know what I mean?  Hopefully others will chime in here and give their opinions also.  :)  It doesn't hurt to try what you have found, you know?. They may be great.  Just don't know till you test them.

Trappeur

Edited by Trappeur
  • Like 1

I understand about the glass issue ... I guess I was thinking that if people use the high heat guns successfully, then perhaps the melt pots with a high heat glue may work.  Pardon my wanderings, Trappeur -- I'm always one to experiment for some reason!  Actually, with the stickums, I see that not all suppliers offer them, which would mean if I started using them without having another option (besides my gel method, which I'd like to get away from since I'm not making gel candles much anymore), then I would be somewhat "tied" to some suppliers that I don't usually purchase from -- my own problem, I know!  :)   I think I'll buy a high temp gun and see how it goes, but the pots with the non-streaming glue sounds inviting if it worked since I'm already in the habit, going on about twenty years now, of dipping wick tabs into a gooey liquid to plop them into the glass to secure. 

I wouldn't recommend using glue dots or hot glue.  Sometimes I use high temp hot glue to secure wicks I am testing, mostly for tins and shallow containers, because it's easy to remove the glue and reuse the container.  I would never recommend using hot glue for a candle you were going to sell.  Under high heat it does become much less effective, and I've had numerous wicks come loose when the candle was low and had a FMP at the bottom.  Use the stickems or the red permatex.  I use the stickems because they are cheap and easy.  I've never had one to fail.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Lori said:

@bfroberts quick question. I am considering switching to permatex. Right now I'm using a glue gun and warm the jars before adding the glue/wick for better glass adhesion. I assume I will have to skip this step?

I switched to permatex as well and dont heat the jars. Isnt nescesary imo 

• Like 1

stickums work well for me ... the glue gun I use is a cheapy , ok on tealights but not so with glass. Also , with stickums you can reposition if really necessary , but once that hot glue touches the surface it sets

On 4/1/2017 at 10:44 PM, moonshine said:

Nope....not easily anyways I tried and tried and don't have time to soak them 

for testers I use wick stick ums and sale jars the red permatex gasket sealer because I know it isn't going anywhere no matter what you do 

Thanks ... so, are you saying that if you use the heavy duty stuff that there IS a way to remove them by "soaking" them ... what would you use to soak them in?

If I have a nice glass or jar I don't know that I'd like to have a permanent fixture of a wick tab stuck to the bottom after the candle has burned so I can't use it for anything else at all.

Birdcharm, did you ever get your stickums or whatever you were going to use figured out?

Like everyone said if you get a glue, get the GE red silicone gasket sealer glue.  It sticks to stay....but like everyone said it is a bugger to remove... but it works.

Have you not tried any of the stickums yet?  I don't think you would be disappointed.  Just get from a reputable company.  If you want to try some, I have to go to the post office to mail out some packages tomorrow and I can send you some to try.  Just make sure your jars are clean.  Some have a waxy film on the inside.  I usually wipe them out with alchohol or wash them with hot soapy water because you want the stickums and glue if you use to stick.....so important.  It will make your life so much easier than getting a melting pot...etc.....;)

Trappeur

• Like 1

7 hours ago, birdcharm said:

Thanks ... so, are you saying that if you use the heavy duty stuff that there IS a way to remove them by "soaking" them ... what would you use to soak them in?

If I have a nice glass or jar I don't know that I'd like to have a permanent fixture of a wick tab stuck to the bottom after the candle has burned so I can't use it for anything else at all.

I honestly couldn't tell you - you can't pull them off alone is all I know even with pliers and twisting 

I have read before someone saying soaking them you can remove it but I don't remember with what and never tried 

if your making candles for yourself the wick stickums work wonderful because they do come off easily and alcohol removes the sticky residue if any is left after washing 

the permatex I only use for sale jars for safety reasons so that I know that wick isn't coming loose no matter what 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trappeur said:

... did you ever get your stickums or whatever you were going to use figured out?

I have been using a high temp heat gun, which creates a good seal for me ... I gave up the dipping pot idea, but the "no stringing" glue sounded interesting.  Some day, I will pick up some stickers when I'm ordering from a place that has them, but "no" on the glue dots, as I have tried those before.  Thanks for your offer Trappeur, you have a wonderful southern hospiltality!