RRD Wicks (Why arne't more people talking about these?)

Morning everyone....

I've recently purchased and started testing RRD wicks (currently in 6006).

Let me preface by saying that I JUST started testing so my results are in their infancy and lack much of a basis so far.

That being said.... I dont see a whole lot of people discussing these wicks. Is there a reason?

From my early results... they are performing really well. 

• Stay centered and straight similar to Zincs.... much better than a CD, etc.
  • Even burn
  • Nice looking straight flame
  • less mushroom and soot (so far)

I have been a bit underwicked on my current test.. so Ill need to wick up and continue testing. But so far, this is performing better than any other wick Ive used (at least in 6006)

Zincs have always been my go-to wick for 6006. Everything is excellent other than the mushrooms. And now it may have some competition.

Anyone else use or have uses RRD wicks? Thoughts?

Thanks

• Like 1

I've only used them in palm, but I have a blue million of them.  They burn hotter than zincs, and palm is....well, palm, so I never really even thought about trying them in 6006.  I'm thinking 34's for mason jars, maybe ??  Hmmm...  This is why I never get restocking done.  I'm always pouring new stuff to test.  LOL

• Like 1

Man I know. I am constantly updating my inventory. I have always at least 40 testers sitting around too. I'm doing a big event in just over a week, so far behind 'cause keep doing new things! Ha.

Anyway,  I had read about RRD working in viscous waxes, single pour waxes, and just generally being a wick that works in multiple applications. Thought I would give it a go. When you get a chance, if you test with them at all.. let me know. Ill keep posting my results as well.

Funny you mentioned rrd 34s in the mason. That was my exact thought and that is what I tried. I would say it was a bit too small (but may work on other FOs. I tested it on Pink Sugar from NG.  I am going to try a 37 next. Have a feeling it will be perfect. Heavy scents may need the 40 though. Time will tell.

I also dont use the exact masons many of you use (like the ones from CS. Mine are same diamter but a bit shallower. They hold about 4.75oz wax.

So I doubt the wicking would be any different.

• Like 1

Ive only tried premiers in 6006 and wasn't impressed. Mushroomed just as much as zincs, but discolored the tops of the wax. Didn't care for them.

I did like all the incremental sizes though.

What did you like better about the premiers over the RRDs. I dont use palm... but still curious.

• Like 1

Why thank you... I thought so as well. Ha

Ill definitely keep everyone posted on what I continue to discover.

As I said.. I have an event next week that I am already behind on and need to focus. So it may be a couple weeks before I do a lot more testing with it.

But let's definitely keep this going. Hopefully it'll lead to something positive.....

• Like 3

3 hours ago, wthomas57 said:

What did you like better about the premiers over the RRDs. I dont use palm... but still curious.

Sometimes they would turn into one big huge ball of carbon so much that the flame went out.  But it did not happen all the time.  Only in some FOs.  With the Premiers I never have that problem.  

It is crazy how things work with one and not another.  HTP is my go to wick for unscented 6006 and when I hit a stumble with a fragrance in LX.  I wish LX didn't soot towards the bottoms with some fragrances tho and deep down I haven't fully tested CD wicks with 6006 either, just here and there. I'm ready to go back to scented candle testing tho...I've been making a lot of unscented ones from requests.

i agree... unscented is way easier.

I am pretty much done with CDs. I cant for the life of me understand why they are fairly popular.

I cant stand the curl/lean to one side causing often uneven burn. Or one side of jar gets way too hot.

Also.. they still smoke and mushroom often as well. I have tried  CD's off and on for so long and never good results I want.

They offer me no advantages, only disadvantages, over using zincs or something else.

Don't get me wrong... I dont LOVE zincs. But until I find wicks that work just as well while also not mushrooming... I am sticking with them.

Hoping RRD may help. We will see

• Like 2

Today has turned into a crazy day around here.  I've got a palm candle burning with a Premier wick and a 6006 candle burning with an RRD wick. 

All the excitement must have gone to my head because I accidentally put Floral Muse FO into my whipped shea butter instead of the the orange FO I had intended, so now I have whipped shea butter that smells like chocolate flowers, and that's not good for anyone.  The wick testing is showing promise though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

awesome... cant wait to hear the results... especially for the 6006 with RRD.

Funny you mentioned your batch mistake.

Last night I poured a few batches and got a little ahead of myself.

I was working on mixing and pouring Pumpkin Souffle batch while preparing ahead with supplies for my Cranberry Crumble....

Needless to say, I ended up with an orange batch of Cranberry Crumble. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

First burn results.  I should note....all of these have been burning too long....about 5-6 hours. 

My palm + premier wick is doing well.  May be slightly under wicked with the 777 in a status jar, a little more hangup on one side than I like, but we'll see how she goes.  HT is light, but that is most likely the FO (Havana...it's light in 6006 too), not the wick.  I'll pour another and use 780, but I have a feeling 777 is gonna be the ticket.  Definitely like this better than the RRD.

Premier 777 with 6006 in status jar, looks pretty good.  Sweet Pumpkin FO from RE.  HT is comparable to what I got out of 51z.  I think she'll do.  I'll try 780 on the off-chance, but I think 777 is the one.  Got a big 'shroom though.  Not happy with that.

RRD 34 in 8oz square mason with 6006.  Looks like this one is underwicked.  Santa's Pipe (WSP) FO.  HT is great, but this is a strong one anyway.  I usually have to wick up with this FO, but the candle hasn't really cured long enough to be an effective test.  I was just impatient to give it a whirl.  I'll sit this one to the side and burn it again in a few days.  Oh, I forgot to add.....NO MUSHROOM.  I'm shocked by that.

Edited by bfroberts
cause I messed it all up
  • Like 1

Well even when I played with palm I wasn't totally sold on the RRDs. I couldn't get the burns off the pillars that I wanted ... and I invested in rolls of this stuff convinced that I needed so much of a variety of sizes so I could test, test, test in hopes of getting it right, right, right. Instead I gave up lol!

I don't remember having carbon build up with it as badly as a zinc ever gave me. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, wthomas57 said:

I was working on mixing and pouring Pumpkin Souffle batch while preparing ahead with supplies for my Cranberry Crumble....

Needless to say, I ended up with an orange batch of Cranberry Crumble. :)

Sounds like a good combo to me :)

21 hours ago, wthomas57 said:

I am pretty much done with CDs. I cant for the life of me understand why they are fairly popular.

I cant stand the curl/lean to one side causing often uneven burn. Or one side of jar gets way too hot.

Also.. they still smoke and mushroom often as well. I have tried  CD's off and on for so long and never good results I want.

They offer me no advantages, only disadvantages, over using zincs or something else.

I had the same opinion about the CDs when I was using soy.  I never understood what all the hype was about.  I was never impressed with them.

8 hours ago, Scented said:

Well even when I played with palm I wasn't totally sold on the RRDs. I couldn't get the burns off the pillars that I wanted ... and I invested in rolls of this stuff convinced that I needed so much of a variety of sizes so I could test, test, test in hopes of getting it right, right, right. Instead I gave up lol!

I don't remember having carbon build up with it as badly as a zinc ever gave me. 

It is weird how everyone has different experiences!  The RRDs worked awesome for me in the few pillars I made but in the jars they weren't so great.  That is where I would get the huge carbon balls!

It's definitely strange the differences even with the same wax.  I tested RRDs in C3 and if I remember right they burned too hot as they got down in the jar and if I went down a size they drown.  I don't hang with testing a wick that does that.  I also did not like CD wicks, I don't remember why but quit using those as well.  I guess bottom line is, when you find one that burns right for you and you like the performance you quit testing other wicks (or at least I did).  I use cotton core or HTP depending on the container in soy and CDN's in Palm.

The RRD are cotton core as well.

They just have... so far.... performed better and more consistent for me then other cotton core wicks. But its still early.

I am guessing cd popular cause of the hot burn with soy. But they are other hot burning wicks so I still don't buy that. I'm with you pcBrooke, I don't understand its appeal. Just wish I could find the performance of a zinc without the mushroom.

Still hoping rrds  will probe to be an option for 6006

On 10/5/2016 at 2:07 PM, wthomas57 said:

i agree... unscented is way easier.

Don't get me wrong... I dont LOVE zincs. But until I find wicks that work just as well while also not mushrooming... I am sticking with them.

Hoping RRD may help. We will see

CD's rock in soy-  I did not care for them in clarus (similar to 6006) but the CDN's were beautiful in clarus for me.....and I know they are basically the same wick just coated differently and I cannot explain it but they were completely different side by side in the parasoy- and I use the CDN's in soy as well for those fragrances that burn too hot with the CD

I tried RRD and did not care for them myself, have you tried the premier at all?  Hopefully the RRDs do work for you, it still amazes me how different people get different results, this craft definitely keeps you on your toes

Keep us posted on your findings

• Like 2

Yep.. tried Premiers... but zincs have been better.

I like all the incremental sizes of the premiers... and they basically performed nearly the same for me in 6006 as the zincs (including the mushroom size). However, the one thing the premiers were doing that my zincs dont do... is they discolor the top of my wax. Noticeable after it re-hardens. I am guessing because it burns hotter? Ive seen the same thing with wooden wicks. And honestly, its probably because premiers are meant more for soy rather than parrafin and 6006 is only roughly 30% soy i believe.

If that discoloration wasn't happening, I would have went with the premiers for sure. Why? Simply the absence of the metal wire core that I think turns some people away who still think it may be lead, Lol.

I wont be able to get to too much more testing for a couple weeks, but ill definitely keep everyone posted.I may give the premiers another shot as well.

I have also been considering going to only parrafin as I've almost exclusively used a parasoy to this point. But cant decide on which one. I want HT and CT of 4627 but without the crazy softness and mess. So I've also considered 4630 but see people complaining about how it smokes. I've also considered a blend of 4627 and 4630 just for the heck of it.

The reason I am considering, eventually, all parrafin is simply to make wicking less complicated. 6006 wicking isn't easy. But.... if that is still going to lead me to use zincs still, then I haven't really gained anything.

I've also thought about doing more all soy simply for the less smoke and "cleaner" burn. But considering issues and complications of HT, CT, and curing them..... I still avoid them for the most part. 

@moonshine - you said you used Clarus. What were your thoughts of it compared to 6006? I know its more soy and I have tested it just a bit. Not enough to give any kind of meaningful feedback so was just curious what you thought about it. I have a buddy that uses it and I think he has an easier time with than 6006. But I would imagine it throws less than 6006. And again, if the CDNs or whatever else works in them still mushroom a lot... I wouldn't see it as any better than 6006.

Edited by wthomas57