RRD Wicks (Why arne't more people talking about these?)

On 10/8/2016 at 4:56 PM, wthomas57 said:

The only wax I can get close to the HT of straight parrafin like 4627 is 6006.... so far. At least without having to use way too much FO or double and tripple wicking. 

But if I can get "close enough" but easier or better wicking, then I'd go that route

Do you also make candles with 4627?  I've been making them and using LXs and have worked well.  The combo 4627 or 4630 and LX seem so less problematic than 6006.  Is it the soy that's complicating our lives?  I do prefer the visual appearance of 6006... but 6006 seems more "problematic" ;-)

Just now, Bia said:

Do you also make candles with 4627?  I've been making them and using LXs and have worked well.  The combo 4627 or 4630 and LX seem so less problematic than 6006.  Is it the soy that's complicating our lives?  I do prefer the visual appearance of 6006... but 6006 seems more "problematic" ;-)

I dont really have complications with 6006 overall. I do not like 4627 or 4630. Smokey, sooty, and I hate working with it. 4630 is bad about wetspots even from the getgo. I dont get hung up on wetspots really... but why deal with it more than i have to. I just prefer the look and burn of 6006 over both 4627 and 4630... and them combined.  6006 has been my main wax for sometime and still currently my most used.

Maybe I need to read back some more, but waht major complications are you having with 6006?

5 minutes ago, wthomas57 said:

I dont really have complications with 6006 overall. I do not like 4627 or 4630. Smokey, sooty, and I hate working with it. 4630 is bad about wetspots even from the getgo. I dont get hung up on wetspots really... but why deal with it more than i have to. I just prefer the look and burn of 6006 over both 4627 and 4630... and them combined.  6006 has been my main wax for sometime and still currently my most used.

Maybe I need to read back some more, but waht major complications are you having with 6006?

I've had difficulty wicking 6006 in large containers.  

I've also discovered that most wick charts suggest CD wick sizes that are way to big.  Like break the glass too big.  And like you said I also don't really like the leaning curve.

I hate ecos in 6006.  I don't really like LX, but sometimes they work.  I've tried paper core, hemp, htp - all huge flames and soot.  I'm resisting trying zincs bc I wanted to avoid metal in my wicks....

I also wondered before this discussion about premiers and rrd's.  I was skeptical bc not that many suppliers offer them... Figured there's not much demand for a reason.

I also hated working with 4627, the vaseline, break your wrist block ;-)  but now it comes in slabs.

12 minutes ago, Bia said:

I've had difficulty wicking 6006 in large containers.  

I've also discovered that most wick charts suggest CD wick sizes that are way to big.  Like break the glass too big.  And like you said I also don't really like the leaning curve.

I hate ecos in 6006.  I don't really like LX, but sometimes they work.  I've tried paper core, hemp, htp - all huge flames and soot.  I'm resisting trying zincs bc I wanted to avoid metal in my wicks....

I also wondered before this discussion about premiers and rrd's.  I was skeptical bc not that many suppliers offer them... Figured there's not much demand for a reason.

I also hated working with 4627, the vaseline, break your wrist block ;-)  but now it comes in slabs.

Wicking large containers - double wicking, etc works like a charm. And cuts down on mushrooms and sooting. I use different wax blends depending on my jars as I offer different "collections". So, while I dont use 6006 in most of my larger jars, it works just fine double or triple wicking and many different wicks work well to do that (HTP, RRD, Zinc, LX)

I agree on CDs. too big, too sooty, uneven burns.

Paper core works fine, but mushroom quickly.Premiers are hit or miss. Work well as far as burn goes, but with my FOs they get really sooty. 

I agree on ECOs too.. terrible in 6006.

Zincs are most consisten by far in my opinion. Yes, there are drawbacks, but still work well.

As far as RRDs, you can find them many places. Premiers, less so.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...