Chalk painted mason jars

This is my new project for a candle jar for the holidays for my apple orchard account I have and 36 for 2 people who want to buy for gifts.  My jars look like these but I have them adorned with pine cones with snow on them, some have eucalyptus, some of them have rusty bells hanging down and twine around the necks, some have burlap, some have ribbon.  They are all going to be one of a kind.   But mine are in the big quart wide mouth jars.  I just love em!  Time consuming but so rewarding.....

I'm doing in all 3 of these colors.  Now I would like to seal them in a matte or semi gloss finish.  My concern is once the candle starts burning and the glass starts getting warm is there going to be a problem with anything toxic coming from the sealer that i want to put on?  Does anyone have experience with this type of thing?  I've been making the jars and burning with just the chalk paint on them and there is no problem, and the paint isn't peeling or anything.  But I want to do the right thing and buy the right thing.  I sure hope some can give me advice!  Thanks.

Trappeur

il_fullxfull.654859440_gucu.jpg

• Like 7

I've never used chalk paint on jars, just furniture, but I have painted jars with regular spray paint with a top coat of clear spray paint and I haven't gotten any fumes or anything like that when burning the candle.  I usually use the Krylon brand clear spray paint. 

Those jars are just gorgeous, and now my mind is spinning with holiday decorating ideas!   I got into painting jars a couple of years ago.  I was doing monogrammed jars for a while, and that was fun.  I just love mason jar projects!

• Like 1

OK now you've done it  lol ! I too just love these, there is just something so charming + so familiar about mason jars. Wow, these are going to be so 

well received . Have you ever used the Modge Podge brand ? Now Ive never used them on jars but I really don't see where that would cause a 

problem. I like bfroberts idea of Krylon spray, much easier than brushing on. Last year I took plastic fruit (pears) but you could use any fruit such

as apples. Anyways, I have a very old German book that was falling apart so I took out the pages + ripped random pieces so it looked more organic

then I used my modge podge to apply + then sealed with several coats (3-5) with the modge podge again. They are so pretty with the old German 

writing. I'll have to go through my photos + send you a pic . Do you use regular craft paint or actual chalk paint ? The rusty bells sound so pretty 

I just love how you put things together - it really is a talent ! 

I paint all my pint canning jars with satin 2X paint but have never felt the need to spray a clear coat over the paint.  Once I sand them, the shine goes away (no matte spray paint).  I've rewashed these jars a number of times with nothing coming off.  Never smelled anything as the jar heated up while the candle was lit.  Now, chalk paint could be a different animal.  Why do you want to spray a clear spray over the jar?  

Have you tested wicks for that tall of a jar?  Just wondering how hot it gets as it burns.  They look fantastic, by the way.:)

Goldie

• Like 1

I do these all the time, I usually only use cream color but wanted to say that the Ball jars for some reason work better than the Kerr (makes no sense to me). Sometimes,  I spray mine with a matte clear sealer,  very thin coat and have had no problem with smell etc.  I say sometimes because I've done them for weddings and not sprayed them at all.  They only need to last for the day typically.   I recently added Junk Gypsy tm line of chalk paint to our store and I'm having so much fun with their colors!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, kandlekrazy said:

I do these all the time, I usually only use cream color but wanted to say that the Ball jars for some reason work better than the Kerr (makes no sense to me). Sometimes,  I spray mine with a matte clear sealer,  very thin coat and have had no problem with smell etc.  I say sometimes because I've done them for weddings and not sprayed them at all.  They only need to last for the day typically.   I recently added Junk Gypsy tm line of chalk paint to our store and I'm having so much fun with their colors!

Junk Gypsy ... never heard of this brand. Where do you purchase this at . Wow ... I'm always learning something new on here :) 

I'll go back to Ace and read on the Krylon BF.  I use Krylon and have quite a few cans of sprays.  I just can't find anything on the directions that answer my question of toxic fumes but I will go and recheck.

I have 3 bottles of Modge Podge Moonstar so I guess I can experiment with them too.  I bought the chalk paint by Amy Howard.

I've used the 2x paint too Goldie, but I really like the look of the chalk.  I like the unfinished look of the chalk, but I think a sealer or clear coat or something like that over the chalk will keep the jar from peoples greasy fingers not making the jars dirty.

Kandlecrazy I went to the Junk Gypsy site and it's wonderful!   Do you carry any top coat finish?  Have you done anything like what I'm doing that you could make suggestions to me?

Trappeur

If the answer isn't on the can, I would contact Krylon directly.  Most manufacturers I've gone to directly have been helpful and gotten back to me quickly.

I see Rustoleum offers "For added protection and durability, top coat with Chalked Matte Clear Spray".  Doesn't answer the question about toxic fumes, I know.

Goldie

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Moonstar said:

Junk Gypsy ... never heard of this brand. Where do you purchase this at . Wow ... I'm always learning something new on here :) 

Look at their site and put in your zip for a store nearest you.  These are the gals that had the tv show.  The paint actually comes from the distributor in Michigan.

I've used lots of brands of chalk paint but I really love these bold colors.  I just add a little of the off white if I want a more pastel look. 

Trappeur I've used their sealer, but not on jars as it is a brush on and I prefer to lightly spray them.

Pinterest has many people doing jars like this and they coat with a clear acrylic spray

acrylic is water based so it shouldn't be flammable but I have no idea about fumes or the heat tolerance with a candle burning on the inside 

beautiful jars Trapp- so festive and classy and beautiful .....I always look at the gold and silver and krylon ones and think I should do this, but I just can't even find time to make a normal candle these days

if you want the links let me know 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, kandlekrazy said:

Look at their site and put in your zip for a store nearest you.  These are the gals that had the tv show.  The paint actually comes from the distributor in Michigan.

I've used lots of brands of chalk paint but I really love these bold colors.  I just add a little of the off white if I want a more pastel look. 

Trappeur I've used their sealer, but not on jars as it is a brush on and I prefer to lightly spray them.

That's just what I did KandleKrazy...Do you sell the sealer in your shop?

Trappeur

1 hour ago, Moonstar said:

I would do the same, as Goldie has suggested + call Krylon. Ive always had great experiences when contacting companies with any questions .

Yep I did that too Moonstar!  I have 4 messages out to different vendors.  You see all the painted jars I see all over the net, no one is pouring wax into them, well I haven't found one....It is very popular the painted jars and so is chalk paint.  So of course I need to make sure applying a finish is not going to be a problem.  I'm looking up the modge podge site and see what they say.

Trappeur

• Like 1

On 9/17/2016 at 9:03 AM, GoldieMN said:

If the answer isn't on the can, I would contact Krylon directly.  Most manufacturers I've gone to directly have been helpful and gotten back to me quickly.

I see Rustoleum offers "For added protection and durability, top coat with Chalked Matte Clear Spray".  Doesn't answer the question about toxic fumes, I know.

Goldie

I asked Rustoleum the question and it got posted on Home Depot so waiting for answer.  But I did read the reviews on this clear spray and every one of the comments has been negative.  But I'm asking something different so we shall see.  I noticed on every spray can of a sealer from just about every company out there says it is Highly Flamable, but I think they mean if near an open flame when spraying it is flamable.  I'm asking if when the jar gets hot will the possibility of the heat emit toxic fumes.

I have even gone onto Etsy where tons of people make the painted jars and posed this question, and from what I gather, no one pours into the jars.  They all put one of the battery operated tea lights in the jar.  But from the answers I'm getting, no one really knows.  Something so simple I'm asking is seeming to be not the normal and no one really knows.

Trappeur

Edited by Trappeur

so this is the product information for the "rust-oleum painters touch 2X ultra cover enamel spray" line

"Use outdoors or in a well ventilated area such as an open garage. Use when temperature is between 50-90°F (10- 32°C) and humidity is below 65% to ensure proper drying. Do not apply to surfaces, when heated, exceed 200°F (93°C). Do not apply to galvanized steel."

https://www.rustoleum.com/~/media/DigitalEncyclopedia/Documents/RustoleumUSA/TDS/English/CBG/Painters Touch Ultra Cover 2X/PTX-01_Painters_Touch_Ultra_Cover_2X_Enamel_Sprays_TDS.ashx

you would want to look at the product application/ painting conditions for the paints.

I think in general the chalk paints should be okay I would be most concerned with the clear coats. (but i could be wrong about that)

I did find an automotive high heat clear coat that is for surfaces that get up to 2000 deg. 

https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-Automotive-260771-11-Ounce-Degrees/dp/B006ZLQ0JI

you could also do some testers to see what happens if you burn a candle all day long.

- I have been wanting to do chalk paint jars with candles for a while, i just haven't gotten around to it yet.  I have used the FolkArt Acrylic Enamel paints and baked them, no issues with those. And i have also done my hobnail with just the chalk paint and haven't had any issues- but i did not use a top coat. I bought some spray paints a few months ago and was going to spray some of my hobnail jars but havent gotten to it, now i need to look at the product info now that I thought about it, it didnt cross my mind before. 

The mod podge / a paint on clear coat would be a good option i think. they also sell the wax sealant for the chalk paint im not sure if that has heat restrictions though.

Edited by Siren12

I would play it safe and not put any sealer on them.  I've never really had an issue with the paint coming off unless I use sandpaper on it to shabby it up.  The ones I sealed were being shipped for a wedding and I was afraid they would get damaged in mailing.  The bride did use the fake candles, the battery ones.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Siren12 said:

so this is the product information for the "rust-oleum painters touch 2X ultra cover enamel spray" line

"Use outdoors or in a well ventilated area such as an open garage. Use when temperature is between 50-90°F (10- 32°C) and humidity is below 65% to ensure proper drying. Do not apply to surfaces, when heated, exceed 200°F (93°C). Do not apply to galvanized steel."

Man, oh man, that would mean we can't spray jars with 2X and sell as candles!  I have never had any kind of a problem burning my painted jar candles even when left for nine hours to burn.  But I worry about customers suing as others have said.

Goldie 

20 minutes ago, GoldieMN said:

Man, oh man, that would mean we can't spray jars with 2X and sell as candles!  I have never had any kind of a problem burning my painted jar candles even when left for nine hours to burn.  But I worry about customers suing as others have said.

Goldie 

I was surprised to see that it was that low of a temperature, I am sure that they have other lines that can handle higher temperatures. its just hard when you have to search for that kind of information. 

fyi- Rust-oleum doesnt give a warning about Temperature for the chalk spray paints 

https://www.rustoleum.com/~/media/DigitalEncyclopedia/Documents/RustoleumUSA/TDS/English/CBG/Chalked/CHD-07_Chalked_Ultra_Matte_Sprays_TDS.ashx

Edited by Siren12

I have made very similar jars like yours in the past for seasonal decor. I did coat mine with a krylon clear coat.

But, I lleft parts of the glass thin on purpose, dropped tealights in them and the nice little light would glow through some. 

But that is the most Ive ever done. Tea lights dont get very hot and it only burned for short period of time.

I'm not as sure how it would work with candles. Clear coat is flammable. I used to do some speed painting with spray paint.

To get certain areas dry real quick to layer on top of it, I would use a lighter and clear coat to make a giant flame to dry the picture. Lol.

So.... if it was me I would look for something else that is specifically fire retardant. just my thoughts

Finally I got somewhere.  I spoke with the owner of Heirloom Traditions who makes the chalk paint and their clear coat is water base and she she said there is no problem.  All the other companies like Rustoleum and Krylon, etc got me very leary and I couldn't get very far with any of them  Most of them are polyureithene base coats.  And I've reading up on it and they say using polyurethene will a lot of times turn the paint a yellowish cast.   Actually too what I did for the heck of it was blow some of the candles I had burning and tested the temperature of the wax to see what they were.  Couple were like 149, 156, and one was 171 just to see how hot the wax gets.  So I ordered a quart of the Heirloom Tradions water base clear coat.  Stuff is not cheap - $45.00 a quart.  But I feel so much better now that I'm using a compatable cllear coat that is designed for chalk paint.

Trappeur

• Like 1