What I made for myself

Trappeur

I've been wanting to do a large quart painted canning jar in a candle for myself and finally did.  I have to glaze the jar I think I'll do in a satin finish.

It has a crystal door knob handle screwed to the top and I filled it with RE Toasted Marshmallow.  The embeds I did in acorns.  Smells so delicious!  I thought I'd give myself a lift and do my bedroom over in a rustic look with a white battenburg comforter with touches of lace here and there, and add the rusticity of the lodge look of red/black buffalo check pillows, deer hide I have had for eons and a deer head that is over the bed.....  (I know I know I'm an animal advocate and highly support all animal rights, but I have had these accessories for years so I still use them in my home, so please don't think bad of me...) So I started with a candle! lol, lol  I think burlap curtains will look nice in the room..So anyways not to get off the subject, I thought I would share a picture of a canning jar I did...did in 464 with a cd 18 wick for a quart jar.  Now have to wait 2 weeks for it to cure.

CIMG7648_1.jpg

CIMG7647.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Trappeur

• Like 8

SHUT UP !!!! OMG it is so, so pretty ! My goodness this is a talented bunch on here ! Do you do 1 oz pp ? Cant wait to get that FO from the sale going on .

You should do smaller ones for wedding + shower favors - is there a local florist  or bridal boutique near you - you should see if you could leave one there

with your information. typically they use 4 oz jars as favors. 

Thankyou Kelly.

Moonstar what a great idea for florists!  As a matter of fact somone told me about a country club that opened up especially catering to weddings where they have a shop on premises that showcases things available to brides for their wedding.  Maybe I will have to spend a day going around to florists....great idea....my minds is a thinking..lol  And yes I use 1 oz oil to 1 pd wax.  They wouldn't be cheap because they are labor intensive....

And thankyou too KandleK.......

They are really very easy to do....

Trappeur

• Like 1

One question about the painted Mason jars - does the heat of the candle interfere with the painted finish, like chipping off or anything. 

You really should check into weddings - its a big business ! If you want to add something besides candles to wedding stuff thats super easy 

WSP has Large sealable teabags that you could do bath salts . Have you ever seen Wax Sachets - Im sure you'll find those on Pinterest or Google lol !

Sorry - I got carried away :) 

Gorgeous Trappeur!!! You did an awesome job creating that! :) That is too cute...you need to market these. So different and unique....wedding planners would love to offer these to brides for weddings.  I can smell it now......

Edited by puma52

I paint all my jars; the heat does not affect the jar.  

One other thought:  If you are making them for a wedding reception, you COULD skip the fragrance.  The reason I say that is it is recommended to have fragrance-free candles around food so people smell the food and not the candle, I guess.  Restaurants, I'm told, use unscented candles.

Goldie

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Moonstar said:

excellent point Goldie :) thank you ! going to try making one with a wide mouth - regular jars are to hard for me to wick in the center :(

I broke down and bought one of these.  Works really well in the pint jars but seems off in my flowerpot votives.  But those are easy to place by "eye".

https://www.candlescience.com/equipment/ez-wick-setter-single

Goldie

• Like 1

What can I say that candle and jar are gorgeous! It really looks rustic and I'm sure will work perfectly in your newly decorated bedroom.

I must say I was a bit disappointed that you didn't take a pic of your new bedroom. I was hoping to see how it came out. Your description sounds awesome. I understand if its a private affair you prefer not to share-- but was hoping you might.....

12 minutes ago, Candybee said:

What can I say that candle and jar are gorgeous! It really looks rustic and I'm sure will work perfectly in your newly decorated bedroom.

I must say I was a bit disappointed that you didn't take a pic of your new bedroom. I was hoping to see how it came out. Your description sounds awesome. I understand if its a private affair you prefer not to share-- but was hoping you might.....

lol, lol, Candybee.....your so funny!

I'll get one up for you......lol...first I have to make my bed and dust!

Trappeur

• Like 1

You put it on with a sponge applicator brush and it comes out like in the picture and it is a heavy look to start off with.  Then after it dries you take fine grit sandpaper and sand the entire jar and you sand heavily over the words till the paint is off but you have to use your discretion of how aged you want it to be.  The more sanding in areas gives it the worn/aged look.  Then in spots on the jar where there is no embossed words you sand right down to the glass...The more boo boos you might make, the better it looks! lol...And you can do in all sorts of colors.  It's the rage now! lol

Trappeur

Guest OldGlory

I get the flyers from Joann Fabrics and in the last flyer they advertised chalk paint and one other new (more translucent) type of crafting paint. You can probably order it from them.

Hope this is ok to butt in with my experience.  I use to use a brush to paint my candle jars but switched to spraying them as it became too time consuming to paint by brush, and I got sloppy trying to hurry=drops.  Haven't tried it yet, but there is a spray chalk paint out now by Krylon, kind of spendy.  Definitely need a coupon! :)  I use Rust-Oleum 2x spray satin paint; goes on sale often around here.

Goldie

9 hours ago, GoldieMN said:

Hope this is ok to butt in with my experience.  I use to use a brush to paint my candle jars but switched to spraying them as it became too time consuming to paint by brush, and I got sloppy trying to hurry=drops.  Haven't tried it yet, but there is a spray chalk paint out now by Krylon, kind of spendy.  Definitely need a coupon! :)  I use Rust-Oleum 2x spray satin paint; goes on sale often around here.

Goldie

Hey doesn't bother me Goldie.....the more I can learn the better and if it can make a project easier by learning from others I'm all for it!  I use that ROlem 2x spray paint....So they have a spray on chalk paint?  I'm going to check that out! Thanks.

Trappeur