Burnt Smell with Premier Wicks

Athough FB157 brought this topic up in another thread, I thought I would start a new thread about it.  I went in search of other posts regarding a burnt smell using Premier wicks and found one from 2006:  

Until yesterday, I had never noticed a burnt smell; but it was really bad.  It was at the very bottom of the jar.  Didn't think much about it until I read FB157's post.  Anyone else who uses Premiers ever noticed this?  I was using Pumpkin Creme Brulee from RusticEscentuals.

Goldie

Interesting. I don't use soy, but I am in the process right now of testing Premier 700s with my paraffin wax. I'm not too far into testing yet, but I will be on the look out for this as they burn further down. Haven't noticed a burning smell so far.

Guest OldGlory

Without going back in my records to see how long I've been buying Premier wicks (guessing 6 or 7 years), doing extensive testing in probably a dozen or so sizes of jars/tins, I have never experienced a burning smell from the wicks - and I burn the testers until they put themselves out. I purposely tested at least half a dozen of the maxi tealights doing a power burn from initial light until they burned out to see if I could catch one on fire. No hint of a burn smell from the wick - and none of the maxis caught fire, lol. (Used a 20x6mm wick tab in them, and a wick sticker) (As a side note, I always replace the wick tabs).

I wonder if it's the wick or the tab creating the bad smell. If it was the wick, wouldn't you notice it earlier in the burn?

Guest OldGlory
17 minutes ago, moonshine said:

I have used them in parasoy and never smelled a burnt smell either .....where are you getting them from?

Old glory don't you use these in soy as well?

Yes, I use them in 464. I have tried them in several other waxes, but I don't remember enough about the testers to comment.

My thought is that if you are getting a bad odor from the wick you should contact the people who sold you the wicks and let them know. It could be a quality control issue. You could send them one to test for themselves.

29 minutes ago, OldGlory said:

Without going back in my records to see how long I've been buying Premier wicks (guessing 6 or 7 years), doing extensive testing in probably a dozen or so sizes of jars/tins, I have never experienced a burning smell from the wicks - and I burn the testers until they put themselves out. I purposely tested at least half a dozen of the maxi tealights doing a power burn from initial light until they burned out to see if I could catch one on fire. No hint of a burn smell from the wick - and none of the maxis caught fire, lol. (Used a 20x6mm wick tab in them, and a wick sticker) (As a side note, I always replace the wick tabs).

I wonder if it's the wick or the tab creating the bad smell. If it was the wick, wouldn't you notice it earlier in the burn?

FB157 noticed it at about the halfway mark and then again at the bottom.  I only noticed it at the bottom.  Then again, I'm not in that part of the house all the time it burns.  Good to hear you haven't had this happen.  

Goldie

6 minutes ago, OldGlory said:

Yes, I use them in 464. I have tried them in several other waxes, but I don't remember enough about the testers to comment.

My thought is that if you are getting a bad odor from the wick you should contact the people who sold you the wicks and let them know. It could be a quality control issue. You could send them one to test for themselves.

For me, this is the first time I've noticed it.  I will have to pay more attention from now on.  These were from Aztec.

Goldie

I'm coming into the conversation late, however I had it on several candles but not all. I used the same fragrances and switched to CD's and didn't have the problem. I only notice it in my lighter FO's like sweet pea or lavender and chamomile for instance. To answer your question Old Glory, I can smell it in the beginning first two hours or so of a burn but it doesn't really stand out until the mid and late burns. Ive honestly only been making candles for about 9 months so I assumed it was something I was doing wrong until Goldie brought it up. I bought them from Aztec for the 767 size and the others from TFC. Question Goldie, did you notice it with a lighter FO? 

8 hours ago, FB157 said:

I'm coming into the conversation late, however I had it on several candles but not all. I used the same fragrances and switched to CD's and didn't have the problem. I only notice it in my lighter FO's like sweet pea or lavender and chamomile for instance. To answer your question Old Glory, I can smell it in the beginning first two hours or so of a burn but it doesn't really stand out until the mid and late burns. Ive honestly only been making candles for about 9 months so I assumed it was something I was doing wrong until Goldie brought it up. I bought them from Aztec for the 767 size and the others from TFC. Question Goldie, did you notice it with a lighter FO? 

I noticed it in Pumpkin Creme Brulee from RusticEscentuals.  It is a pretty strong/heavy FO.  

Goldie

More than likely it's not going to matter where you purchased your Premier wicks as they are all manufactured in the same place but the tabs could

be put on by the supplier and could have some coating that is causing the smell although I've never smelled it with those wicks.  Heavy vanilla scents will

sometimes do that at the bottom of a deep jar add pumpkin and it may just have been your fo.  Citrus, especially lemon will give off a fuel smell at the bottom

sometimes.  I haven't figured out why sometimes I smell it and sometimes I don't so I blame my nose but burnt is pretty obvious so it's probably a humidity

factor here as we can get really high.

• 1 month later...

pcbrook ... may i ask what scents in particular you've noticed that have a burnt smell .... very interesting. are any of the oils from fillmore ? 

i can't tell you how much I've learned from this site in the short time I've registered. thank you to all of you. your opinions + suggestions are 

greatly appreciated + have been very helpful :) 

Moonstar,  sorry but I do not keep that great of notes.  I can tell you that if I do notice it, it is usually with the bakery FOs or anything with vanilla.  And that is only if I do a power burn of over 4 hours.  But now that I think of it when you cook something too long it is going to smell burned.  I guess that goes for FOs too!  :lol:

I use Butterscotch Brulee from Fillmore and I have noticed it with power burns.  

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...