Heat Gun or Blow Dryer, Which is Best?

Hi,

It's obvious that I need to get something to melt off the wax drips from the rims of my jelly jar container candles before I can sell them. I've read that some people use blow dryers, but most seem to use heat guns. Is there a big difference? 

1 hour ago, TallTayl said:

Heat gun or embossing gun. The hair dryer goes not get as hot and throws way more air which, IME, moves the wax around an awful lot. 

Oh, OK. Then if the wax gets moved around that settles it. I'll go for  the heat gun. Thank you!

If your looking to just get drips off your jar you can also just use microfiber clothes- you don't need to heat drips to remove them unless your wanting to smooth out the tops as well

I just wipe up my spills when it happens after they dry and throw the clothes in the washer 

• Like 1

For drips I just use a paper towel. I've never used a blow dryer on my candles but would imagine that it would take longer to accomplish the same thing than a heat gun would. Heat guns also get very hot (duh!) and I've burned myself before even after the heat gun had been turned off for several minutes. But I don't even use my heat gun anymore. I used to use them for smoothing out the tops of my candles, however I've started setting my candles under heat lamps to dry so that I can avoid this step all together.

I have a heat gun and an embosser; I actually prefer using the embosser because it is almost as powerful as the heat gun and removes wax quickly and smoothes tops perfectly.  The heat gun is much more difficult to work with because it gets crazy hot and you have to be super careful when you set it down (and move it around).  I like using the embosser because it does the job just as well, without the fear factor. 

Skip the blow dryer...too much air.

• Like 1