Chunk Tart Melt recipes for Spring - Let's make some!

puma52

5 hours ago, Lumina said:

is a picture of what I have been working on lately.  I use the palm wax for both chunk and overpour.  I just like the colors better.

IMG_9228.JPG

Gracious!!!! Lumina..... I JUST NOW remembered.....we met at the Aztec Convention last year!!!:hello: How are you doing? :) Those chunks look great ...good for you !!! I have to ask you...the Caribbean Teakwood and Himalayan Bamboo blend sound AWESOME....how do they smell together? I think I may have to try this blend. :)

Edited by puma52
  • Like 1

On March 14, 2016 at 9:03 PM, puma52 said:

OK guys...I hope this helps anyone who wants to do this. :) I am going to describe what I do and I sure hope the pics stay in the order I loaded them up...just in case they do not, I will describe pics and hope that everyone can tell which one is which. The 1st pic is of what I use to do these ..alum foil, alum pans - i use 8x8 and 11 x 8-1/2, heat gun, 8" spackling knife, aluminum baking sheets - 16 x 11-1/2. I made 2 chunks today the first one was: Deep Aqua Blue Chunks - Tropical Soda Pop , Light Yellow Chunks - Mountain Dew , Orange Chunks - Rainbow Sherbet, Cream Color Chunks - Cream Soda , Overpour Salt Water Taffy. The second one is Sex On The Beach - Light Orange Chunks, Honeydew Melon - Light Green Chunks , Overpour Light Peach - Peach . You know these two blends really smell good....I especially like the Sex On The Beach blend...smells heavenly! :) The second pic is of all four of my chunks poured into the 8x8 pans that have been lined with the aluminum foil - 2 lb in each pan. Third pic is when the wax slab has cooled just enough to allow me to pull them out of the pans and not have wax running everywhere..note I have pulled the alum foil down on all of them except the white...it was still too hot...pic below of where was started to run, so I hurriedly pulled the alum foil back up the sides until it was more solidified. When they are solidified enough, I put the alum foil off them and then lay them on the baking sheet and slice as shown. They are still very warm at this point. Diversion..... the pans with the Sex On The Beach and Honeydew are cooling...just to show you that you can have a lot of these going (as long as the presto pots keep up that is. :) ) all at once. Next Pics slicing up the Rainbow Sherbet (Note....the spackling knife almost reaches across the whole slab..I just pick the knife up slowly and move it and bring down again) and the Cream Soda. Next pic is of all four chunk scents all ready to be put in pan for overpour...these chunks are still very warm.  Next pic...everyone in the pool !  I pick up handfuls of chunks,  I never measure them as sometimes I want more of one scent than the other, but spread them all out well and I fill up that pan as much as I can, then I do my overpour . Chunks are still warm when put in the pan for the overpour of Salt Water Taffy. As soon as I pour the overpour it usually starts to solidify immediately unless it is real warm, but when it starts to solidify, I get out the heat gun and heat those chunks up and I do ADD MORE CHUNKS AT THIS POINT AND USE HEAT GUN ON THEM...easy to do as when you use the heat gun, it  will pretty much liquefy the top again. Using the heat gun takes all the hard edges off the chunks which makes them look so nice. AS SOON as I can, I lift the whole chunk tart slab out of the pan (using the alum foil to lift out) . I set it directly on the aluminum baking sheet and let it cool (which does not take long....10 min maybe), I then peel down the sides of the aluminum foil carefully making sure that no melted wax is coming out and THEN as soon as I can after doing this, I totally take the alum foil off and let it cool...maybe another 5 minutes and then try cutting..if you do not have any wax bleeding, you are good to go. These chunks are VERY warm when I am done cutting. I separate and let cool.  I sure hope this all makes sense and helps you guys. If you have questions, I'll be glad to help you. :) ok..THESE ARE BACKWARDS.... IF YOU START AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PICS AND WORK UP FROM THE BOTTOM, THESE ARE IN ORDER... GRACIOUS!! :laugh2:How DOES a person get pictures to stay in order? :biggrin:

IMG_0684USE.jpg.e84b263bb065b4fde5d96019IMG_0686USE.jpg.69c6300344ef735275d0fcdfIMG_0689USE.jpg.b670c80309f7e416a6b289b5IMG_0691USE.jpg.c43fb29d62102a9dbfcbc171IMG_0694USE.jpg.32ccade7030956c52bc25213IMG_0695USE.jpg.82854154422ac34a37b07d1aIMG_0696USE.jpg.3cf9256f8c9a1124c5e6d3c1IMG_0698USE.jpg.47181d5094c6e9281ae2be4eIMG_0699USE.jpg.7ba06333fd9a2f35c39586cfIMG_0700USE.jpg.e32d82f17b3af54d060bb459IMG_0703USE.jpg.7c3129291f2ab8438d253936IMG_0704USE.jpg.272f9aa12eae7e1bdb5289ccIMG_0706USE.jpg.dcf4685f5093c068319e000cIMG_0710USE.jpg.b3175598e2f1f343f2ab083bIMG_0720USE.jpg.c5d8ffc5d07828cad0b8d870IMG_0721USE.jpg.e369e82b7f7c263542b43ce9IMG_0722USE.jpg.c1d25fdecb39a5757dfe189eIMG_0724USE.jpg.23d5942fd1793562299198dfIMG_0725400.jpg.75313debd24b34407c2a2d9aIMG_0726USE.jpg.bae85f528b196210753eaa3aIMG_0727USE.jpg.a109f6f5e20a13851b3bd501IMG_0690400.jpg.10376d1f5886ecf48d88e5ea

So I made another batch today and attempted the foil method for the chunks ( before I was using some molds that still required me to cut into smaller chunks) as I thought this would be quicker. Well it was a fail. Are you using more than one sheet of foil? I just used one piece and the wax got underneath the foil and it was a bit of a mess. Help!! Hahaha

16 hours ago, Littlebalky said:

So I made another batch today and attempted the foil method for the chunks ( before I was using some molds that still required me to cut into smaller chunks) as I thought this would be quicker. Well it was a fail. Are you using more than one sheet of foil? I just used one piece and the wax got underneath the foil and it was a bit of a mess. Help!! Hahaha

That is not a fail in my world....I only use 1 piece of foil and the wax DOES get underneath on me...if only the foil were two inches wider we would be set! I just put it in the pans as even as possible.  It's a nice little mess sometimes after you are done. :) 

On March 17, 2016 at 4:20 PM, puma52 said:

That is not a fail in my world....I only use 1 piece of foil and the wax DOES get underneath on me...if only the foil were two inches wider we would be set! I just put it in the pans as even as possible.  It's a nice little mess sometimes after you are done. :) 

So I used two sheets and criss crossed them and it seemed to solve the problem ?

Also, I just recently bought a laser thermometer. When I compared it to the candy thermometer I've been using it seems the laser measures 10 degrees hotter than the candy. I don't know which to trust?? What do you use??

• Like 1

I had a little time today so I played.  I used 6006 wax.  First attempt was banana cherry cheesecake with chocolate overpour.  Then I cheated a bit and used a mold for the others, which are basically everything I have with a pink sugar overpour (friend is addicted to ps).  The one shown is fluffy candy pink sugar.  

I'm not crazy about 6006 now that I have been using a pure paraffin mix and it did not cut any easier.  I used a hot knife at first and then just a cutter and a super fast cut.  Still not happy with cutting chunks, but I will keep trying!  Here are some pics...

loaf4.jpg

loaf3.jpg

loaf2.jpg

loaf1.jpg

Edited by Nikki
  • Like 2

OH THANK YOU! I'm so glad to see how the pros do it LOL! Mine weren't looking anywhere near that good. Now I know a little more about how to make them look so delicious, although I doubt mine will look that good. Have to get over having surgery first. Not quite how I planned to spend my spring break but things happen. 

Thanks again for going to the trouble to do all of this! You're number ONE!!!!

• Like 1

On 3/17/2016 at 5:24 PM, justajesuschick said:

Curious if you ever just pour into the jelly roll pans.

Hi JAJC,

You know, I wish we could, but the depth that I want is just not there. I have made chunk candles for years now using this exact same method .....it has worked so well, this ole chick would be afraid of trying something else. :)

11 hours ago, Littlebalky said:

So I used two sheets and criss crossed them and it seemed to solve the problem ?

Also, I just recently bought a laser thermometer. When I compared it to the candy thermometer I've been using it seems the laser measures 10 degrees hotter than the candy. I don't know which to trust?? What do you use??

Hi Littlebalky,

Good for you for trying out the crisscrossing and having success!!! Yea...See you are educating us! :) I use two thermometers (because it seems to see that if just using one they get out of wack sometimes..so using two I get a really close idea) clipped on the side of my presto pour pot. I heat my wax until to about 175 (when the spout thaws out enough to pour into pots) , then I let the wax set in my pour pots to about 160-165 temp (I check w/infrared temp gun) then add fragrance, stir like the devil and pour into the pans. On those temps...it sometimes seems like they DON'T measure the temps right....that's when we just do as good as we can. :)   

10 hours ago, Belinda said:

OH THANK YOU! I'm so glad to see how the pros do it LOL! Mine weren't looking anywhere near that good. Now I know a little more about how to make them look so delicious, although I doubt mine will look that good. Have to get over having surgery first. Not quite how I planned to spend my spring break but things happen. 

Thanks again for going to the trouble to do all of this! You're number ONE!!!!

Yours WILL look beautiful Belinda! I am thinking and praying for you as you are recovering from surgery! You take care....get a notebook and write down all those awesome blends you will be making soon. :)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nikki said:

I had a little time today so I played.  I used 6006 wax.  First attempt was banana cherry cheesecake with chocolate overpour.  Then I cheated a bit and used a mold for the others, which are basically everything I have with a pink sugar overpour (friend is addicted to ps).  The one shown is fluffy candy pink sugar.  

I'm not crazy about 6006 now that I have been using a pure paraffin mix and it did not cut any easier.  I used a hot knife at first and then just a cutter and a super fast cut.  Still not happy with cutting chunks, but I will keep trying!  Here are some pics...

loaf4.jpg

loaf3.jpg

loaf2.jpg

loaf1.jpg

BEAUTIFUL JOB NIKKI!!!!! :yay: Thanks for sharing your gorgeous pics!!! Those do look like candy!!! :) Your blends sound delish!! 

Edited by puma52
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, puma52 said:

Hi JAJC,

You know, I wish we could, but the depth that I want is just not there. I have made chunk candles for years now using this exact same method .....it has worked so well, this ole chick would be afraid of trying something else. :)

I was thinking that if a jelly roll pan was an inch high (rather than a less deep cookie sheet), someone starting out may want to invest in 3-4 and make chunks directly in them. 

But, do I ever understand! I am always worried when I need a new scale or thermometer if that will be the thing that changes what I have been successfully doing!!

• Like 1

On March 19, 2016 at 9:08 PM, Nikki said:

loaf4.jpg

loaf3.jpg

loaf2.jpg

loaf1.jpg

This looks good enough to eat!

• Like 2

Bergamot w/Rosemary and Mint overpour, Banana w/Apple Butter Caramel overpour, Spiced Cranberry w/Raisin Bread & Butter overpour, Bergamot, Lemon Peel w/ Pink Sugar overpour and lastly, Banana, Chocolate, Wild Cherry w/Pralines and Cream overpour.  Three varieties were made with a silicone ice cube mold (nice and neat), the others were my attempt at doing it the regular way.  I'd love opinions on the chunks made with molds.  Is it ok, or just doesn't have the "it" factor.

Thanks!

Nikki

morechunks.jpg

• Like 3

On March 24, 2016 at 0:42 AM, Nikki said:

Bergamot w/Rosemary and Mint overpour, Banana w/Apple Butter Caramel overpour, Spiced Cranberry w/Raisin Bread & Butter overpour, Bergamot, Lemon Peel w/ Pink Sugar overpour and lastly, Banana, Chocolate, Wild Cherry w/Pralines and Cream overpour.  Three varieties were made with a silicone ice cube mold (nice and neat), the others were my attempt at doing it the regular way.  I'd love opinions on the chunks made with molds.  Is it ok, or just doesn't have the "it" factor.

Thanks!

Nikki

morechunks.jpg

The Hesse are stunning! 

• Like 2