Chunk Tart Melt recipes for Spring - Let's make some!

puma52

On February 14, 2016 at 5:35 PM, GuiltyLilPleasures said:

I love this thread!  I just recently added a 'chunk' line to my store, and they're so fun to make and see all the pretty colors :)  

custom chunk pic.jpg

Theses look amazing!!! So clean! Do you mind sharing your wax blend? I'd like for mine to look as 'clean' as yours :)

On February 21, 2016 at 8:34 PM, Nikki said:

I am so struggling to make nicely cut chunks.  I have found that often times the chunk pieces fall out at each cut.  Thankfully I only play with wax for myself, haha.  I think I will try again and share my fail pictures with you all and perhaps you can give me some pointers as to what I may need to be doing differently.  

Since I so wanted to try blends of my own, I cheated a bit and put chunks into a bundt mold.  It's just not the same as though beautiful chunks :(

AB7B5252.jpg

Nikki these are beautiful! What molds are you using for your chunks and where did you get your bundt cake  molds?

Also what waxes are you using? This looks like it should be in a magazine!

• Like 3

On February 6, 2016 at 6:04 PM, Daisymay66 said:

Did you try it just cutting them up yourself? Will you let us know if ya think it's worth investing in the molds or just cutting them up? ;) 

The molds are a PIA.....if you pour past the top which is impossible not to it goes everywhere unlike a clam shell!

Ok Puma I need that video! 

I made a batch last night and what a flipping mess.....they are a disaster!! ??

i think the molds are more work than just using the pan method like you do and chunk them yourself- I had wax overflowing everywhere and my what was supposed to be red chunks ended up pink - I don't color much and that was a mess in itself- then I think I used way to many chunks because when I overpoured which covered most of the top before it would spill out of the pan, I put it on a cookie sheet and when I cut them still warm but set so I thought they all fell apart!!- chunks falling out everywhere so my blend may be to soft- I think I need to up the 4625 which is also a PIA to try and break up.....other than that they would have been beautiful! Lol

so I need to go back to your original thread and read instructions again and try the pan method because I am not liking these molds at all and maybe just maybe I can get a batch as beautiful as all these pictures on here......littlebalky what method do use for your chunks- they look so perfect! 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, moonshine said:

The molds are a PIA.....if you pour past the top which is impossible not to it goes everywhere unlike a clam shell!

When you pour, I just kinda pour all over them but then I use my putty knife scraper thing a ma jiggy and move the wax over the squares that didn't get wax. Kinda hard to explain. Do you know what I mean?

• Like 2

On March 8, 2016 at 6:50 PM, puma52 said:

ok....here's my

Well Littlebalky...I use the harder paraffin wax, so it never gets creamy, but it can be difficult to work with. I am so sorry, but I have never worked the parasoy. Doggone  it, someone else I hope will chime in.  Yes I do use 4625/4794 50/50. :) 

What company do you buy your wax from?

13 hours ago, moonshine said:

i think the molds are more work than just using the pan method like you do and chunk them yourself- I had wax overflowing everywhere and my what was supposed to be red chunks ended up pink - I don't color much and that was a mess in itself- then I think I used way to many chunks because when I overpoured which covered most of the top before it would spill out of the pan, I put it on a cookie sheet and when I cut them still warm but set so I thought they all fell apart!!- chunks falling out everywhere so my blend may be to soft- I think I need to up the 4625 which is also a PIA to try and break up.....other than that they would have been beautiful! Lol

so I need to go back to your original thread and read instructions again and try the pan method because I am not liking these molds at all and maybe just maybe I can get a batch as beautiful as all these pictures on here......littlebalky what method do use for your chunks- they look so perfect! 

I use the wilton small square molds and cut those into fourths :)

On March 8, 2016 at 7:24 PM, puma52 said:

Ok....this is what I made this weekend....please note..I HAVE REJECT PICS ...3 of them...they are rejects, but they are never rejected...after I put in my nice square looking chunks in my bags...the weighed part for the customer.... I THEN slip in one or two of the rejects, but not rejected. Hey it's all good...more to melt...it's going to look worse as it melts anyhow. :) 

The green chunks are what I am calling Secret Spa...I thought about Silent Spa too because of how quiet and relaxing it is in a Spa....I just might take turns with both names. I did the chunks in Light Green Chunks - Green Tea (from Indigo..I did like this) , Med Dark Green Chunks - Cucumber, Overpour Med Green-  Bamboo. The multi color bright chunk I am calling Beach House Bungalow...Med Red Chunks - Pink Sands, Dark Teal Blue Chunks - Blue Hawaiian, Lime Green Chunks - Key Lime Pie - Overpour yellow - Pineapple. The coffee colored chunk..yummm....I am calling Coffee Espresso Cafe - Dark Brown Chunks - Mocha, Medium Brown Chunks - Vanilla Hazelnut Mocha, Caramel Colored Chunks - Kahlua Dreams (from Indigo) (This is a new one to me...did not like at all .....instead next time I am making this same color but doing my blend for it in .50 Cocoa and .50 Vanilla Voodoo), Overpour Cream - Cafe Cubano , Tan Chunk w/Cream overpour.....Calling this one My Private Beach.. Med Tan Chunks - Caribbean Teakwood , Overpour Cream - Black Coconut  (had been wondering about this scent blend...this is NICE!),  last one....I am calling Sugar Sugar Baby - Light Tan Color Chunks  - Sugar Waffle Cone (from Indigo...I LIKE) , Darker Tan Chunks - Sugared Vanilla Shortbread , Overpour.- I couldn't decide what to do I wanted to do Vanilla Ice Cream and I wanted to do Angel Food Cake so this is what I done...I blended both of them together and poured ! Ahhh smells so good! :) Oh my after I posted, the pics scattered and are not in order. Good thing I described... hee hee.

IMG_0681small.jpg

IMG_0678small.jpg

IMG_0675.JPG

IMG_0671small.jpg

IMG_0665small.jpg

IMG_0667small.jpg

IMG_0663small.jpg

IMG_0659small.jpg

IMG_0655small.jpg

OMG!! Those greens are EVERYTHING!!!! Theses are awesome. Rejects?? I say works of art really. LOVE

How would you describe the following scents: Carribean Teakwood, Black Coconut, Bamboo?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Littlebalky said:

What company do you buy your wax from?

Good Evening Littlebalky!

I get my wax from a local supplier - Aztec International - here is their web address : http://www.candlemaking.com/

OMG!! Those greens are EVERYTHING!!!! Theses are awesome. Rejects?? I say works of art really. LOVE

How would you describe the following scents: Carribean Teakwood, Black Coconut, Bamboo?

You are SO funny!!! Yes....the rejects do live at my house too! hee hee This is fun talking about these recipes and looking at the pics huh? :)

I love all three of those scents...the Caribbean Teakwood is from Candle Science...they just made it skin friendly and it is just wonderful ..here is description, but let me tell you...it is NOT just for men...it is a beautiful unisex fragrance:

Caribbean Teakwood is a masculine masterpiece. It is bold and complex - leading with a top note of leather, tobacco, amber and musk. The middle is a spicy mixture of black tea and pepper. The base note is aged teakwood with tones of patchouli and sandalwood.

This fragrance oil is infused with cedarwood, patchouli, black pepper, and pimento berry essential oils.

Himalayan Bamboo is also from Candle Science - Just BEAUTIFUL...spa like - here is their description :

A complex union of bamboo foliage and rich green florals. The subtle character of this fragrance is calming rather than overwhelming, so it is well suited for a high-end or aroma-therapy line - where a room filling, not house filling fragrance is desired.

This fragrance oil is infused with natural essential oils.

Black Coconut is from Fragrance Buddy and I just love the tiny added extra richness - Their description -  Sunset in paradise . . . rich coconut, cedarwood and island blossoms promise an evening of luxurious tranquility.

Try them out when you get a chance. :) Let me know what you think.

Edited by puma52

On 3/9/2016 at 9:34 AM, moonshine said:

Moonshine....I wish we all lived close together...we would just have a chunk tart making day.  I am making more this weekend (Sunday) and I will take pics as I go along. I want YOU to be able to make these! As for the 4625...are you using a screwdriver and hammer to break up? A breeze to do...set the sharp end of your screwdriver ehhh...about 2-3 inches from the edge and hit the hammer on top of the screwdriver....keep doing this and you will have tons of little easy workable chunks of wax in no time. The Moonshine has GOT to make these! :) A blend I am making is:

Grape colored Chunks - Grape Soda , Strawberry Colored Chunks - Strawberry Soda, Orange colored Chunks - Orange Soda , Overpour - Cream color - Creme Soda. I think I'll make this one too - Caramel colored Chunks - Caramel Apple Pie , Overpour Cream color - Vanilla Ice Cream  - Last one I just might make too is Banana Yellow Colored Chunks  - Banana , Purple Red Colored Chunks - Berrylicious , Cherry Red Chunks - Cherry Marshmallow , Blue Raspberry Colored Chunks - Raspberry Icee , Overpour Cream - Homemade Cheesecake.

Edited by puma52

You are very ambitious and very talented......I am thinking these are a crap load of work! Lol

I love the concept and the looks I need to get a system down so it's not so frustrating - I felt like a fish out of water! Lol

i have peak liquid dyes and I need to get that down also- I thought for sure I had a bright red and it turned out pink but I just took this batch and filled up mason jars and used some today and it smells wonderful with only a couple day cure

I did the horse whisper blend adding sweet grass to it

red ( but ended up pink) chunks apple

green chunks fresh grass

golden chunks hayride

over pour not dyed in sweetgrass

With candles I use a certain percentage of the three so these were different in that I used the same 10% FO oer pound for each scent so it's different but ended up very nice and fresh- the sweetgrass addition was a bonus- I am going to incorporate that in my blend now!

here is my disaster pictures - I definitely think I used to many chunks and not enough overpour - I need to make a smaller batch or use a bigger pan and I do needs to increase the 4625- the container parasoy made it a touch to soft 

please do take pictures of the steps that would be a tremendous help to visually see how it's done 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, puma52 said:

Good Evening Littlebalky!

I get my wax from a local supplier - Aztec International - here is their web address : http://www.candlemaking.com/

You are SO funny!!! Yes....the rejects do live at my house too! hee hee This is fun talking about these recipes and looking at the pics huh? :)

I love all three of those scents...the Caribbean Teakwood is from Candle Science...they just made it skin friendly and it is just wonderful ..here is description, but let me tell you...it is NOT just for men...it is a beautiful unisex fragrance:

Caribbean Teakwood is a masculine masterpiece. It is bold and complex - leading with a top note of leather, tobacco, amber and musk. The middle is a spicy mixture of black tea and pepper. The base note is aged teakwood with tones of patchouli and sandalwood.

This fragrance oil is infused with cedarwood, patchouli, black pepper, and pimento berry essential oils.

Himalayan Bamboo is also from Candle Science - Just BEAUTIFUL...spa like - here is their description :

A complex union of bamboo foliage and rich green florals. The subtle character of this fragrance is calming rather than overwhelming, so it is well suited for a high-end or aroma-therapy line - where a room filling, not house filling fragrance is desired.

This fragrance oil is infused with natural essential oils.

Black Coconut is from Fragrance Buddy and I just love the tiny added extra richness - Their description -  Sunset in paradise . . . rich coconut, cedarwood and island blossoms promise an evening of luxurious tranquility.

Try them out when you get a chance. :) Let me know what you think.

Yes this is SO much fun to be able to discuss these things with you all!! 

I have been so pleased with Aztec's oils but haven't ordered wax from them!

I will be trying these fragrances. I just got an email where candle science is doing their 1 oz for $.99 so perfect opportunity to try some!

Thanks Puma!

Edited by Littlebalky
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, moonshine said:

You are very ambitious and very talented......I am thinking these are a crap load of work! Lol

I love the concept and the looks I need to get a system down so it's not so frustrating - I felt like a fish out of water! Lol

i have peak liquid dyes and I need to get that down also- I thought for sure I had a bright red and it turned out pink but I just took this batch and filled up mason jars and used some today and it smells wonderful with only a couple day cure

I did the horse whisper blend adding sweet grass to it

red ( but ended up pink) chunks apple

green chunks fresh grass

golden chunks hayride

over pour not dyed in sweetgrass

With candles I use a certain percentage of the three so these were different in that I used the same 10% FO oer pound for each scent so it's different but ended up very nice and fresh- the sweetgrass addition was a bonus- I am going to incorporate that in my blend now!

here is my disaster pictures - I definitely think I used to many chunks and not enough overpour - I need to make a smaller batch or use a bigger pan and I do needs to increase the 4625- the container parasoy made it a touch to soft 

please do take pictures of the steps that would be a tremendous help to visually see how it's done 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

You know Moonshine....It looks like you did great on making the chunks.....the chunks are in the overpour, the colors are vibrant. they seriously look great...You did not fill your pan too full with those little chunks...look how great they look in the first picture.  :) That's the look you want. All beautiful mixed up and creamy looking. So they just came apart while cutting them? Hmmmm.....I may be wild guessing on this, but i have a question...how long after you did your overpour did you cut the chunks? I reread and you said you cut them warm. Was the whole slab before you cut them real warm...not hot, but still real warm? Also what do you cut your chunks with? Are you using one of those huge putty knifes? That makes a clean cut for me.

Edited by puma52

On March 8, 2016 at 7:24 PM, puma52 said:

Ok....this is what I made this weekend....please note..I HAVE REJECT PICS ...3 of them...they are rejects, but they are never rejected...after I put in my nice square looking chunks in my bags...the weighed part for the customer.... I THEN slip in one or two of the rejects, but not rejected. Hey it's all good...more to melt...it's going to look worse as it melts anyhow. :) 

The green chunks are what I am calling Secret Spa...I thought about Silent Spa too because of how quiet and relaxing it is in a Spa....I just might take turns with both names. I did the chunks in Light Green Chunks - Green Tea (from Indigo..I did like this) , Med Dark Green Chunks - Cucumber, Overpour Med Green-  Bamboo. The multi color bright chunk I am calling Beach House Bungalow...Med Red Chunks - Pink Sands, Dark Teal Blue Chunks - Blue Hawaiian, Lime Green Chunks - Key Lime Pie - Overpour yellow - Pineapple. The coffee colored chunk..yummm....I am calling Coffee Espresso Cafe - Dark Brown Chunks - Mocha, Medium Brown Chunks - Vanilla Hazelnut Mocha, Caramel Colored Chunks - Kahlua Dreams (from Indigo) (This is a new one to me...did not like at all .....instead next time I am making this same color but doing my blend for it in .50 Cocoa and .50 Vanilla Voodoo), Overpour Cream - Cafe Cubano , Tan Chunk w/Cream overpour.....Calling this one My Private Beach.. Med Tan Chunks - Caribbean Teakwood , Overpour Cream - Black Coconut  (had been wondering about this scent blend...this is NICE!),  last one....I am calling Sugar Sugar Baby - Light Tan Color Chunks  - Sugar Waffle Cone (from Indigo...I LIKE) , Darker Tan Chunks - Sugared Vanilla Shortbread , Overpour.- I couldn't decide what to do I wanted to do Vanilla Ice Cream and I wanted to do Angel Food Cake so this is what I done...I blended both of them together and poured ! Ahhh smells so good! :) Oh my after I posted, the pics scattered and are not in order. Good thing I described... hee hee.

IMG_0681small.jpg

IMG_0678small.jpg

IMG_0675.JPG

IMG_0671small.jpg

IMG_0665small.jpg

IMG_0667small.jpg

IMG_0663small.jpg

IMG_0659small.jpg

IMG_0655small.jpg

Puma, these look and sound so yummy! I've got to pour some more chunks and get started on some of these. I have chunks poured and did do some with cream brûlée and brown sugar and coffee but I need to do some nice spring looking, smelling ones.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, puma52 said:

You know Moonshine....It looks like you did great on making the chunks.....the chunks are in the overpour, the colors are vibrant. they seriously look great...You did not fill your pan too full with those little chunks...look how great they look in the first picture.  :) That's the look you want. All beautiful mixed up and creamy looking. So they just came apart while cutting them? Hmmmm.....I may be wild guessing on this, but i have a question...how long after you did your overpour did you cut the chunks? I reread and you said you cut them warm. Was the whole slab before you cut them real warm...not hot, but still real warm? Also what do you cut your chunks with? Are you using one of those huge putty knifes? That makes a clean cut for me.

It was very warm - probably about a half hour I poured I cut them using a big butcher knife - maybe I didn't wait long enough because as I would cut a strip all the chunks fell out and the wax had like shavings all over as well- even the next day when I tried cutting some smaller that didn't fall apart it's too soft and did the same thing 

it's definitely to soft of a blend- the container wax needs to go down to 25% and the the 4625 up to 75%

so you use a huge putty knife like what you get in the paint section at a hardware?

also what is the other paraffin you use? I may just switch to all paraffin for these/ I need to order more jars anyways from CS

I want them to cut in perfect squares! Lol

and for the pan method - the throw aways lined with tin foil how big of a batch do you pour for the chunks and then for the overpour 

you can see in the big pan pictures what a mess they are ? I only got a few decent ones out of that 9 X 13 pan but as I said I will use them for personal use and I now know what not to do !

• Like 1

Well Moonshine.....Hmmmm....well I am stumped! It sure sounds like you cut at the right time and not working with the other wax I just don't know what to think of it. Yes I use the 4794 and 4725 50/50 and I am going to take pics as I go along making these tomorrow and will try to post no later than Monday night...hopefully tomorrow night. :)  Yes, I do use the big ole spackling/putty knife.... I will take a pic of everything i use as I plod along. The pans though...hee hee....have been through the ringer...literally...the bigger pans have been thoroughly bent and manipulated to fit MY chunk making needs as you shall see in the pics. :laugh2: I make the chunk waxes from 1-1/2 to 2 lb batches...then I take handfuls of each and fill the pan up to the top of the alum foil and I overpour in a 2 lb batch and yes i overflow it usually too. hee hee...gotta get as much of that yummy goodness as possible in there....then I throw more chunks on top of that, hit all with the heat gun and let 'er rest until I feel I can take it out of the alum pan without the wax flowing everywhere. Then when still real warm I cut with the spackling knife which makes it so much easier.  I'll take pics along the process and we will have you and anybody else that needs help with these, the chunk tart making queen/queens real soon! :yay::yes: 

Edited by puma52
  • Like 4

OK guys...I hope this helps anyone who wants to do this. :) I am going to describe what I do and I sure hope the pics stay in the order I loaded them up...just in case they do not, I will describe pics and hope that everyone can tell which one is which. The 1st pic is of what I use to do these ..alum foil, alum pans - i use 8x8 and 11 x 8-1/2, heat gun, 8" spackling knife, aluminum baking sheets - 16 x 11-1/2. I made 2 chunks today the first one was: Deep Aqua Blue Chunks - Tropical Soda Pop , Light Yellow Chunks - Mountain Dew , Orange Chunks - Rainbow Sherbet, Cream Color Chunks - Cream Soda , Overpour Salt Water Taffy. The second one is Sex On The Beach - Light Orange Chunks, Honeydew Melon - Light Green Chunks , Overpour Light Peach - Peach . You know these two blends really smell good....I especially like the Sex On The Beach blend...smells heavenly! :) The second pic is of all four of my chunks poured into the 8x8 pans that have been lined with the aluminum foil - 2 lb in each pan. Third pic is when the wax slab has cooled just enough to allow me to pull them out of the pans and not have wax running everywhere..note I have pulled the alum foil down on all of them except the white...it was still too hot...pic below of where was started to run, so I hurriedly pulled the alum foil back up the sides until it was more solidified. When they are solidified enough, I put the alum foil off them and then lay them on the baking sheet and slice as shown. They are still very warm at this point. Diversion..... the pans with the Sex On The Beach and Honeydew are cooling...just to show you that you can have a lot of these going (as long as the presto pots keep up that is. :) ) all at once. Next Pics slicing up the Rainbow Sherbet (Note....the spackling knife almost reaches across the whole slab..I just pick the knife up slowly and move it and bring down again) and the Cream Soda. Next pic is of all four chunk scents all ready to be put in pan for overpour...these chunks are still very warm.  Next pic...everyone in the pool !  I pick up handfuls of chunks,  I never measure them as sometimes I want more of one scent than the other, but spread them all out well and I fill up that pan as much as I can, then I do my overpour . Chunks are still warm when put in the pan for the overpour of Salt Water Taffy. As soon as I pour the overpour it usually starts to solidify immediately unless it is real warm, but when it starts to solidify, I get out the heat gun and heat those chunks up and I do ADD MORE CHUNKS AT THIS POINT AND USE HEAT GUN ON THEM...easy to do as when you use the heat gun, it  will pretty much liquefy the top again. Using the heat gun takes all the hard edges off the chunks which makes them look so nice. AS SOON as I can, I lift the whole chunk tart slab out of the pan (using the alum foil to lift out) . I set it directly on the aluminum baking sheet and let it cool (which does not take long....10 min maybe), I then peel down the sides of the aluminum foil carefully making sure that no melted wax is coming out and THEN as soon as I can after doing this, I totally take the alum foil off and let it cool...maybe another 5 minutes and then try cutting..if you do not have any wax bleeding, you are good to go. These chunks are VERY warm when I am done cutting. I separate and let cool.  I sure hope this all makes sense and helps you guys. If you have questions, I'll be glad to help you. :) ok..THESE ARE BACKWARDS.... IF YOU START AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PICS AND WORK UP FROM THE BOTTOM, THESE ARE IN ORDER... GRACIOUS!! :laugh2:How DOES a person get pictures to stay in order? :biggrin:

IMG_0684USE.jpg.e84b263bb065b4fde5d96019IMG_0686USE.jpg.69c6300344ef735275d0fcdfIMG_0689USE.jpg.b670c80309f7e416a6b289b5IMG_0691USE.jpg.c43fb29d62102a9dbfcbc171IMG_0694USE.jpg.32ccade7030956c52bc25213IMG_0695USE.jpg.82854154422ac34a37b07d1aIMG_0696USE.jpg.3cf9256f8c9a1124c5e6d3c1IMG_0698USE.jpg.47181d5094c6e9281ae2be4eIMG_0699USE.jpg.7ba06333fd9a2f35c39586cfIMG_0700USE.jpg.e32d82f17b3af54d060bb459IMG_0703USE.jpg.7c3129291f2ab8438d253936IMG_0704USE.jpg.272f9aa12eae7e1bdb5289ccIMG_0706USE.jpg.dcf4685f5093c068319e000cIMG_0710USE.jpg.b3175598e2f1f343f2ab083bIMG_0720USE.jpg.c5d8ffc5d07828cad0b8d870IMG_0721USE.jpg.e369e82b7f7c263542b43ce9IMG_0722USE.jpg.c1d25fdecb39a5757dfe189eIMG_0724USE.jpg.23d5942fd1793562299198dfIMG_0725400.jpg.75313debd24b34407c2a2d9aIMG_0726USE.jpg.bae85f528b196210753eaa3aIMG_0727USE.jpg.a109f6f5e20a13851b3bd501IMG_0690400.jpg.10376d1f5886ecf48d88e5ea

Edited by Vicky_CO
Fixing pictures
  • Like 4

Thank you thank you thank you

now I have a visual and need to get me a spackling knife!

I do have tin 8 X 8 pans but I was worried about how they scallop on the edges it making the chunks look funny even lined with foil but I see now it doesn't much matter once they are all cut up

I think another problem of mine was doing the chunks ahead of time and they were completely hard not still warm when I did the over pour which was probably not hot enough to bind with the already cool chunks - I need to have all ducks in a row and do them all warm and any leftover I need to heat up that overpour hotter

wonderful pictures- thank you so much!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, moonshine said:

Thank you thank you thank you

now I have a visual and need to get me a spackling knife!

I do have tin 8 X 8 pans but I was worried about how they scallop on the edges it making the chunks look funny even lined with foil but I see now it doesn't much matter once they are all cut up

I think another problem of mine was doing the chunks ahead of time and they were completely hard not still warm when I did the over pour which was probably not hot enough to bind with the already cool chunks - I need to have all ducks in a row and do them all warm and any leftover I need to heat up that overpour hotter

wonderful pictures- thank you so much!

Ha!!!!! You go GIRL!!! :) I am sorry if I never stated that everything is done warm or very warm all through the process.....once you start the process, you can't stop until you have the final chunk tart slab cut up. All my corner edges are "wrinkled & scalloped" like the pan, but it hurts nothing. There is one thing I did not say is that when I put all the blended chunks together in a pan, I am using the larger 11 x 8-1/2 pan and I use 2 lbs of wax for overpour of the blended chunks..I am so excited!!! I can't wait to hear and see what you do! :) 

Edited by puma52