Starting a New Line

gail164

I'm going to be testing scents for a new line which will be a Western type line. When I initially started my business it I lived in Illinois so I did most of my ordering from the suppliers in Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania and eastward. I know live in ND and the shipping cost is so much from those areas. I will now be testing fragrances from Peak, Lone Star,SWC and a few others. Would any of you have any initial ideas of must haves from these suppliers? Especially for western types.....I already have leather on my list. Lots of testing ahead but it will be fun, so glad to be back into candle making! Thank you;)

It might help to have an idea of what your thoughts on that line were ... do you want your line to be leather overload or do you want to include things people might associate with western ... like starch shirts, hay, mountains, water etc. 

From Peak though ... 

Black Canyon

Asian Sandalwood (mostly for mixing, but it's good on its own)

Blackberry Sage

Cedar 

Clean Cotton (perhaps combined with cool citrus basil ... might give you something farmstead-ish)

Country Berry Hotcakes (is delicious ... however it might be something you could call something country-ish.. add some orange and maybe call it rise 'n shine )

Fireside ... (for those cold nights  ... or there are other possibilities with it ... a little goes a ways ... same with their eucalyptus)

Leather ... (I hate the scent forever and ever, but they have a great one.)

Mountain Lake

Spring Rain (works for water too, but it is more floral)

Stormwatch

Tall grass ... (but you know, combined with an apples ... the right apple ... for a start ... might give you something you could call after a horse ... just saying ... maybe try it with a little leather too.)

Vermont Honey Apple (add some leather to it and see what you get too ... ) 

(I can't help with their pines ... but mountain pine, leather and something to give it some light might be a great mix ... water or citrus perhaps ... I haven't played enough to say) 

Leather combines with a lot of stuff ... and it can get swallowed up by a lot of stuff too ... but if you are looking for western theme scents you might do a search in the fragrance section for leather ... I should have posts about it as I was trying to develop some western-ized themes too. IF you were to land that chipotle salsa at NG, combine it with leather, but you almost have to go 4 leather to 1 chipotle if not a 5:1 combo. It's one of those fragrances that eats up leather ... fireside will be another to play with ... more leather than fireside.)

Is this anything you were looking at? 

I don't use enough Lonestar to help you out and the other one you mentioned ... never used. 

• Like 1

Check out Texas candle supply - been wanting to try some of their fragrances....haven't yet but they have great reviews from others on the board here.  And they have great names for scents - all western.

I'm working on a western collection now myself and will do another post of fragrances that are wonderful as I have to run out the door now.

Trappeur

• Like 2

Guest OldGlory

You didn't list BCN as a source, but after they closed their Texas store they moved a lot of their very western themed fragrances up to their north store.

I have a western line myself. Living here in Texas it's a must! LOL! I use several from Texas Candle Supply. Lone Star has several manly, western scents that are good.

I also blend leather with several other scents and come up with my own names. Aztec's tobacco is great too. I also agree with Tall Tayl that sometimes it's the name rather than the actual scent. 

Good luck!

• Like 2

Thank you all for the great ideas....I forgot to mention I do order from BCN and have ever since I started, but didn't realize they are offering scents from the BCS store, will check it out. I didn't know about Texas Candle Supply but will be checking them out this evening! I'm so excited I feel like a newbie:) I don't know if I ever mentioned that I use KY 125. Again, thank you all and I will keep you posted as I test!

• Like 1

I have a western line also.....loved doing that one it was so much fun and I agree with talltayl the name is more important then the scent - I had a blast coming up those!

We are in an equestrian community and it's been a pretty popular line

Some scents I used were:

Grass and grass blends

Hay and hay blends

Leather and leather perfume blends

Blue skies from ah/re makes a great fresh clean one

Dragons blood

Mulberries and moonbeams

Rose

Masculine cologne scents

Peaks sunflower has been very popular which I named after my daughters state champion barrel horse....gambler

Arctic air from mc another fresh one

Oatmeal milk and honey

Tobaccos

Apples

Pines

Cedars

I don't order many from your listed suppliers but those are my suggestions for some types of scents to try

• Like 1

Belinda, I did experiment with Eco Soya for a while but for some reason I never could get it perfected, although I know others who use it and love it! So I have stuck with KySoy when I started using It Vickey Robinson owned Ky Candle Supply, she was the sweetest most helpful person and would help with any questions asked of her! I have always offered paraffin wax for my pillars upon request along with some of the Palm waxes too. What wax do you use?

Check out Texas candle supply - been wanting to try some of their fragrances....haven't yet but they have great reviews from others on the board here.  And they have great names for scents - all western.

I'm working on a western collection now myself and will do another post of fragrances that are wonderful as I have to run out the door now.

Trappeur

I think I bought just about every western scent they have! But they are still just hanging out :( :( waiting patiently to be put in wax. Maybe this weekend! :)

• Like 2

I think I bought just about every western scent they have! But they are still just hanging out :( :( waiting patiently to be put in wax. Maybe this weekend! :)

I have been testing quite a few scents mixed with leather and came up with some good ones! Not really a lover of leather though...maybe this wasn't the best idea lol

• Like 1

Belinda, I did experiment with Eco Soya for a while but for some reason I never could get it perfected, although I know others who use it and love it! So I have stuck with KySoy when I started using It Vickey Robinson owned Ky Candle Supply, she was the sweetest most helpful person and would help with any questions asked of her! I have always offered paraffin wax for my pillars upon request along with some of the Palm waxes too. What wax do you use?

I was mistaken about using KY 125. I used their 133, 143 and their para/soy tart wax and liked all of them. Now I use 4625 mixed with 4630 or 4633. 

• Like 1

Scented, thank you for the advice on using leather scent. I have never used it before and it's good to have a starting point when I begin my testing.....which is taking me too long because I'm being indecisive or some reason! Lol! Thank you all for the great ideas too!

Well thank you Belinda, I will be placing orders tomorrow with Bitter Creek, Lone Star and Texas Candle Supply. I've decided not to go too crazy ordering for now and take my time testing them. I need other items from BCN and Lone Star too. Can't wait to try the Texas CS........very sweet of you to offer and will let you know. Thank you:)

• Like 1