Convincing husband to let me soap

clueless

Debbie - Love your last paragraph. It's the same reason my husband can't say anything. The only thing he said to me about CP soap is to wait until I get the wicking of the candles down before I take on CP soapmaking. Fair enough.

What part of South Jersey are you in? I'm in Atlantic County.

Luanne

Well, I have great news!! I am going to make SOAP!!! I didn't get my yes the way I had hoped. But, I wasn't taking NO for an answer either way. He did say I must make my Lye mixture outdoors though. But, I will take it! I am one happy "soon to be" soap maker!

If he would have continued to tell me NO...I was going to make soap no matter. Even if it meant standing outdoors for the whole process :)

Wonderful news!

I always do my lye outside I have seen videos where they are standing right there over the water and add the lye in the kitchen sink. I caught a tiny wiff of the fumes once. That's all you need to make sure you are standing with the breeze in the right direction!!

In the summer, if I am doing cold process i do the whole thing outside on my patio.

Well, I have great news!! I am going to make SOAP!!! I didn't get my yes the way I had hoped. But, I wasn't taking NO for an answer either way. He did say I must make my Lye mixture outdoors though. But, I will take it! I am one happy "soon to be" soap maker!

If he would have continued to tell me NO...I was going to make soap no matter. Even if it meant standing outdoors for the whole process :)

Now you have to make sure you follow all safety rules to the letter....no way in hell o you want to give him an '''I told you so'''...kwim????

I am very happy for you! I know you must be excited and can't wait to get started. Like Pam said make sure you read up on and research working with lye. You should be okay as long as you use common sense and practice safety instructions for working with lye.

When I first started I made sure I had a well ventilated room; a respirator, rubber gloves, eye goggles, vinegar bottle on hand, and old clothes that covered my arms and legs. When I make soap I am covered from head to toe. Make sure any pets or children are out of the way and not in the room. Make soap on days when you can give it your full attention and not be bothered by any distractions.

Good luck and have some fun!! I bet once you become more experienced and your hubby gets to try the fruits of your labor he will be more open to it and hopefully even more supportive and encouraging. You never know, he might even want to watch and learn!

I agree with everything that Candybee said with one exception. Please don't use vinegar to neutralize lye on your skin. That is a common misconception because vinegar is an alkali and will neutralize lye since it's an acid. It does but also causes a chemical reaction that generates heat. A lot of it. The only thing you should use is just water.

I know Soapalooza has some controversy but she has a very good blog article about this subject. Including a link to the MSDS First Aid Section and bit about the actual chemical reaction that occurs. I can't validate the chemical compounds provided but the MSDS should be accurate for a 50% solution. I just don't anyone to get a serious burn, or make it worse, by using vinegar.

http://www.soapalooza.com/blog/2013/06/how-do-you-clean-up-a-lye-spill/

Edited by ProudMarineMom

I should have elaborated about the vinegar. But ProudMarineMom gave a great explanation. If you get lye on your skin its best to flush the area well with cold water for several minutes.

But I do keep vinegar on hand when I make soap for more than one reason. If I spill my lye beads I can use the vinegar to neutralize the lye. It doesn't necessarily have to be you or your skin. I have pets and don't want them to walk on it or injest it. So helpful places to use the vinegar to neutralize the lye can be your countertop, floor, clothes, etc.

Also, you can still use vinegar directly on your skin but in certain circumstances. Its kind of hard to explain here the times that you can safely use it directly on your skin. I have used it after I washed the area; my skin was still burning slightly, I poured some vinegar on it and the stinging and burning stopped instantly. I once dropped a lye bead or two on the back of my hand and poured vinegar on it and the sting stopped immediately. For the most part, the first thing I do is clean up with cold water if I feel that telltale sting of lye or know that I have touched it.

Where were your gloves young lady? A lye burn is so different than any other kind of skin injury. It's not like you have to wear a hazmat suit but just be focused when dealing with that part of the process. Don't let your mind wander off (ask me how I know) and remember that the fresh soap batter can still burn until the saponification process is complete and all the lye is used up.