I Have Lost My Passion for Making Candles

Yup, it became work rather than a nice way to pass time and now I can't think about making candles again. anybody here has been on that situation and bounced back?

Dan

You're "singing to the choir", here!

I have hated making candles for years. I'm stuck, though. Economics dictate I need to keep our shop stocked and open. I do enjoy working with fragrances, however.

You might say, I'm a kinda "Concept/R&D Dude". I wish I could train a monkey or two to clean and wick jars (the worst part) and melt wax and pour. I'm fussier than my DW so, I'll stay stuck with labeling and marketing.

JMO

Depressed Dave

Another member of the Choir chiming in. I love playing, experimenting and trying new scents. Then my Wife reminds me that what I'm doing cost money, and that we have orders to fill.

UH OH!!! This is beginning to shape up as a "guy thing" !!!

UH OH!!! This is beginning to shape up as a "guy thing" !!!

My Wife has the patience of a Saint. She can pour the same thing "all day"

I'm like a 4yr old on time out...I wanna play with new stuff, I wanna do cupcakes!:cry2:

I am so glad I went into adding soap when I started out. Gives me a nice change of pace.

I've seen quite a few chandlers here who quit the biz because it just wasn't what they wanted to do anymore. Then quite a few who quit came back a year or so later excited about starting again. I think it must be similar to a seven year itch only with a twist; your biz. Sometimes you just need to take time off and rejuvenate.

I agree that variety helps. Sometimes I too get tired of the same old thing, but now that I've branched out there is enough variety to keep me interested. Plus, the upside of controlling my life instead of having a 'boss' always keeps me happy.

I haven't poured any candles for over 2 years. I did make some tarts before Christmas 2011. I started pouring and testing in 2000 and was addicted. I did craft shows and also a big 2 day Christmas Open House in my home and did well. But then I got back to sewing/quilting and was enjoying that so much that candles took a back seat. I am hoping after this summer I can get back in my shop. I also did M&P soaps and got started in CP soaps. But right now beadweaving is at the top of my list.

I used to look forward to going in my shop to pour everyday. Just the other day I DID go in and thought now just isn't the right time but I will get back in here eventually. I looked around at all of my supplies and thought of all of the money I invested so maybe that will motivate me again.

I got burnt out too. I stopped making candles for about 4 years and just did bath and body for friends.

I am at it again and enjoying the heck out of it now.

Just started selling to retail outlets again this year. We will see how I feel after the fall/holiday season.

Right now I am working with featherig palm pillar wax and having a blast with it.

I have been pouring candles for a long, long time. I have gotten burned out more times than I can count or remember. As a matter of fact, I stay burned out. smile. The reason is this hobby became a business, became a job. Now, I just think of it as my 8-10 hours/day job, six days a week. I still get moments when the spark comes back, though. And those are nice. When it is really bad, I talk with my wife, and she goes to the computer and pulls up the total sales for the year. That pumps me back up.

I think this is the difference between loving a hobby and having the determination and passion and drive to run it as a business.

30 years ago I loved photography. I had my first camera and I read everything I could on the subject and put all of my money into developing film and learning. I went to college and put my camera to work by photographing horse shows (where I was also a show groom) and selling my photos. It very quickly lost its appeal. I made money and that is always good in college, but I just didn't have the same passion and the time I usually spent trying out new techniques and searching for the "perfect lighting", well, I just wasn't in the mood because the "work" of photography took my passion. I learned that I loved it, but I didn't want it as a profession.

I am an artist with many mediums. A few years back I realized that I am a Process Artist. It's the process that I thrive in. I don't make the quilts that you sit and sew in an hour, that just doesn't appeal to me, I make quilts by hand, every single stitch from cutting the pieces by hand to hand sewing, hand assembling and then laying out, pinning and the the process of hand quilting begins. My creations are works of art, and when someone receives a quilt from me it's a sign that I really love you and gave up close to a year of my life to create that quilt. I don't mass produce them for that reason.

My pottery is the same, I love the process from preparing the clay, to the zen, meditative quality of sitting at the wheel and creating the piece. Then trimming and decorating and glazing. The finished piece is functional and when I sit with a hot cup of tea with one of my mugs its a special feeling that the mug fits my hands, well, because it was made with these hands.

I could go on, I knit, crochet, make rugs, embroidery. And my baking is a love that has followed me from the time I was very small. I learned to read with my mother's cookbook.

Making candles is a new love of mine, my art is mastering the colors and creating a whole package that is beautiful and the candle works as it should. My frugal accountant's mind keeps an eye on the overall costs and keeps things real. It's a process, and that's what I thrive on. I am hoping that I can keep the momentum up, as I'm ready to sell and am moving forward on a business. It's an art and a science. The science keeps my mind active and the art pleases my creative side.

It may be time to look deep and decide if you want a hobby that you love, or a business that you create and work for. Maybe try some of the more hands on candles like dipped tapers ( a new love!), creative pillars or even outdoor torches or sand candles. Look into your candle makers soul and pull out something new. Heck, some days I just melt down my paraffin and mess with colors to see what happens. While taking impeccable notes, of course.

Should become an Author, I enjoy your writing.

I think this is the difference between loving a hobby and having the determination and passion and drive to run it as a business.

30 years ago I loved photography. I had my first camera and I read everything I could on the subject and put all of my money into developing film and learning. I went to college and put my camera to work by photographing horse shows (where I was also a show groom) and selling my photos. It very quickly lost its appeal. I made money and that is always good in college, but I just didn't have the same passion and the time I usually spent trying out new techniques and searching for the "perfect lighting", well, I just wasn't in the mood because the "work" of photography took my passion. I learned that I loved it, but I didn't want it as a profession.

I am an artist with many mediums. A few years back I realized that I am a Process Artist. It's the process that I thrive in. I don't make the quilts that you sit and sew in an hour, that just doesn't appeal to me, I make quilts by hand, every single stitch from cutting the pieces by hand to hand sewing, hand assembling and then laying out, pinning and the the process of hand quilting begins. My creations are works of art, and when someone receives a quilt from me it's a sign that I really love you and gave up close to a year of my life to create that quilt. I don't mass produce them for that reason.

My pottery is the same, I love the process from preparing the clay, to the zen, meditative quality of sitting at the wheel and creating the piece. Then trimming and decorating and glazing. The finished piece is functional and when I sit with a hot cup of tea with one of my mugs its a special feeling that the mug fits my hands, well, because it was made with these hands.

I could go on, I knit, crochet, make rugs, embroidery. And my baking is a love that has followed me from the time I was very small. I learned to read with my mother's cookbook.

Making candles is a new love of mine, my art is mastering the colors and creating a whole package that is beautiful and the candle works as it should. My frugal accountant's mind keeps an eye on the overall costs and keeps things real. It's a process, and that's what I thrive on. I am hoping that I can keep the momentum up, as I'm ready to sell and am moving forward on a business. It's an art and a science. The science keeps my mind active and the art pleases my creative side.

It may be time to look deep and decide if you want a hobby that you love, or a business that you create and work for. Maybe try some of the more hands on candles like dipped tapers ( a new love!), creative pillars or even outdoor torches or sand candles. Look into your candle makers soul and pull out something new. Heck, some days I just melt down my paraffin and mess with colors to see what happens. While taking impeccable notes, of course.

Should become an Author, I enjoy your writing.

Why thank you......I have tumbled around doing a blog, mostly about the ramblings of my world, I don't know. I have loved writing since I was little as well, and in high school I dabbled with journalism and learned that world was not for me. I'm not sure if the world is just too full of blogs.

Maybe too full of bad, boring blogs. Give it a whirl!

Why thank you......I have tumbled around doing a blog, mostly about the ramblings of my world, I don't know. I have loved writing since I was little as well, and in high school I dabbled with journalism and learned that world was not for me. I'm not sure if the world is just too full of blogs.

Well this may be a different approach! I cannot say that I have ever felt like what I do is a job. I really love it and have never been burnt out with it all. However, I do have the bath and body side with cold process soap that I love as well. I do love to experiment and do my own mixes and that is why there will always be a limited edition section to my website. I love to explore and gather information and then try new things and new scents on my customers. I have always had a creative side that I constantly need to feed! Lol! I do empathize and understand how one my get depressed and burnt out sometimes too! My advice is to try to mix it up a little and let your imagination run wild! I always recommend having a limited edition section to feed the "id" part of you! It really helps and as for me I will always have a passion and a love for what I do and how I please my customers! Best of luck to all of you and remember to have fun!!!:cheesy2:

I think everyone gets in a blue funk about their businesses and then you get a new idea or something new and exciting comes along and it is like new life has been breathed into your business. Branching out and making new items always gets me going... love it!

30 years ago I loved photography. I had my first camera and I read everything I could on the subject and put all of my money into developing film and learning. I went to college and put my camera to work by photographing horse shows (where I was also a show groom) and selling my photos. It very quickly lost its appeal. I made money and that is always good in college, but I just didn't have the same passion and the time I usually spent trying out new techniques and searching for the "perfect lighting", well, I just wasn't in the mood because the "work" of photography took my passion. I learned that I loved it, but I didn't want it as a profession.P

Wow, what a talented girl you are! I, too love reading your posts!:bliss:

I was as addicted to this my first few years in it as any of you. But rising costs (including shipping), the state and direction of the economy in general, lack of time because of work, and increasing government regulation have all put a damper on it.

Well I just try to figure out other things to make it a little challenging for me and tell the other half to knock off the pressure. I've discovered a few scents I probably would have just let go to waste and a couple of other techniques. I don't pour solid colors if I can avoid it at all costs. I guess that's how I've helped myself not to burn out.

I closed my business after 6 years. It seems every big name or business has decided to sell candles at a price level that makes it near impossible to compete but the main reason was because of poor raw material standards and shipping. I can understand some variances in quality of wax, fragrances or even wicks but these days it seems lilke there are fewer reliable distributors. I feel their pain too, because they are at the mercy of the manufacturer. Maybe its the Chinese factor but that's my beef. I am really going through withdrawals but have substituted that addiction with learning to play the ukulele and bought a PS3. Maybe after I retire....who knows.

Steve

Oh yea!! We stopped for almost 4 years - been in it for almost 11 years. We are in the process of starting it back up ....slowly. When I stopped it pretty much cold turkey lol. I had 3 wholesale accounts too. they were happy, but I was so sick and and tired of it back then I couldn't stand the thought of pouring another candle. I eventually missed doing it after a few years so now we are back at it :)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm losing it. I made over 200 last week for my first craft fair that was a total flop! No one showed up really. Used up all my supplies, jars and wax, so now I feel like I can't even enjoy my relaxing hobby anymore and it sucks! I love sharing my awesome smellies but its seems like there's no one to share them with around here. Scentsy and tarts that's all people seem to want.. I should have stuck to making them for myself friends and family and not gone public... its just depressing! Blah..

I'm losing it. I made over 200 last week for my first craft fair that was a total flop! No one showed up really. Used up all my supplies, jars and wax, so now I feel like I can't even enjoy my relaxing hobby anymore and it sucks! I love sharing my awesome smellies but its seems like there's no one to share them with around here. Scentsy and tarts that's all people seem to want.. I should have stuck to making them for myself friends and family and not gone public... its just depressing! Blah..

Do you also make melts? There is a saying that is doubly appropriate for us-You can curse the darkness or light a candle. My area sounds similar to yours. Melt/tart interest has surpassed candles. So meet your market where it is and push your melts. Many also curse Scentsy but they have invested heavily in educating people on a concept for which you can now capitalize. I promise your melts will be better than what they buy so it is an easy conversion!

This is a great idea. Thank you, I am going to give this a try. I have made things in the past that I love but have not sold well. I always want to try new things. This will give me chance to try them.