The Candle Source Wax

Cindy/WI

I believe that was 001s thread, or he posted on it after someone started it. Jeanie, Ravens & Beth( I think) all called Candle Wic & asked about the waxes & similarities.

CW actually sent a sample to me a year or more ago to prove that CW-125 was IGI-4630.

I'll mention it now that the horse is out of the barn, or so it appears!

CW states that CW-130 is a para-soy blend with single-pour characteristics and a good "pull-away". I've never used CBL-130. I cannot comment on the validity of the claim that it is not the same as 6006.

FWIW; The CW-130 looks and acts just like 6006, IMO, though. CW-130 and CBL-130 may not be the same, but I am just a tiny bit suspicious anyway. Maybe it is just a coincidence that the numbering is similar.

As I have stated about a thousand times . . . I ain't no expert. I am, however, always curious. (lol) :confused:

The search continues! :rolleyes2

Dave

CW actually sent a sample to me a year or more ago to prove that CW-125 was IGI-4630.

I'll mention it now that the horse is out of the barn, or so it appears!

CW states that CW-130 is a para-soy blend with single-pour characteristics and a good "pull-away". I've never used CBL-130. I cannot comment on the validity of the claim that it is not the same as 6006.

FWIW; The CW-130 looks and acts just like 6006, IMO, though. CW-130 and CBL-130 may not be the same, but I am just a tiny bit suspicious anyway. Maybe it is just a coincidence that the numbering is similar.

As I have stated about a thousand times . . . I ain't no expert. I am, however, always curious. (lol) :confused:

The search continues! :rolleyes2

Dave

Wish the horse would talk about CBL 129 ad 141 while he's talking :)

Wish the horse would talk about CBL 129 ad 141 while he's talking :)

I'm having some problems getting through to the "horse". I have his number on my speed dial, but I keep getting looped back to their initial answering machine. I'll try an email next.

I do have a concern that the supplier may not be permitted by IGI to go into a lot of detail about their propietary waxes. My horse may not want me to let the cat out of the bag either.

Now that we have a bunch of animals running around in this thread, I would like to add That I have spent most of this day doing archive research on this board. It seems to me that there are many overlapping and contradicting opinions that may be making this whole issue much more complicated than it actually is.

Let's add another animal or two to the equation. Are we beginning to act like a dog chasing his tail or perhaps a rabbit running down his hole? I still feel that TCS "tart blend" is based on at least a blend of IGI-6006. I understand they claimed no soy, but everything they are admitting to in the description points in that direction.

I've never bought from them. I never even heard of then before joining this board in January. It would be very inapropriate and improper of me to make any statement either pro or con about them.

I will state though; I agree that everyone has a right to protect their propietary recipes, but I would never buy and sell a wax product that I didn't know what type of wax(s) it was composed of. I would also not buy wax, not knowing what form (slab/flakes/pastilles) I would be getting and I would be quite reluctant to use wax from a source that I might not be able to replace for reason's beyond my own control.

This is just my own opinion.

Hot throw is so very subjective. We mostly all are plaqued with CM nose. We all are selective in our choices of FO.

I have a headache, from trying to make sense about these "propietary" blends and the tests that have been run on them by a lot of chandlers in at least four threads I reviewed.

I don't want to be a party pooper, but unless my "horse" is willing to enlighten us after I email him, I'm going to stick with my own blend of 90/10 wax for tart melts. IGI-6006/IGI-4794. It works for me in the fragrances we stock them in. Both waxes are quite available from many suppliers.

I need some Advil and a nap.

I will post again, If I hear anything worthwhile. Sorry if I have added confusion on this thread. The very last thing I would ever want to do is to try and persuade a fellow chandler to abandon a product or supplier they are happy with.

Apologies in advance.

Dave

UPDATE:

I spent about an hour in phone conversation with my friendly supplier. We had a great chat about several things. One of them of course was TART WAX.

As I expected he was reluctant to discuss another supplier's propietary products, but I will report, he did not disagree with my assessment of their tart wax.

After much dialog on industry trends towards wickless wax products, I have decided I will be testing another soy-less/petroleum based wax for my clamshell tart melts.

I will be buying; CBL-129 from Candlewic, Doylestown, PA. After testing it, I will report again on my findings. CBL-129 has a reported 10% FO holding capacity.

I now know this wax will be all petro and from a company that has been in business a long time. Did I mention, it is the closest source of wax for me? Candlewic also has a 200 lb. shipping break with UPS. I have never had a problem with their service. They were the second candle supply source I purchased from. Pourette, now long out of business, was the first.

I am an "old school" chandler that believes; Despite the many benefits of soy wax, nothing will "throw" better than paraffin. I will also be buying Candlewics CW-125 for my primary container wax when my current supply of 4630 is exausted. I'm hoping to find it more consistant than the IGI packaged product.

This is not a paid for endorsement or advertising.

In case your interested in trying one of their waxes, too; I'd like to mention that they are selling their premium FO's at $1.00 off for the next few days.

http://www.candlewic.com/default.asp

JMO/HTH

Dave

Thanks for the update, Dave!

It would seem that if I entertained the CW wax that would, again, put me in the "single supplier" source for wax. I certainly will test the TCS wax I made over the weekend, I am staying the course with my 4625/4627 or 4625/4630. Widely available and consistently good performance. Well, for me, anyway.

I did also mean to ask if everyone does a second pour with the TCS wax. Mine are quit sunken in the center. Those made with the 4633 are not as bad. Just curious. I pour into heavy Ellipso cups so do not cool much before pouring so that may be it.

Is CBL125 the same as CW125? It has to be, I can't find the CW125 on their site. Woo Hoo! I got the best HT ever from CBL125 when I 1st began, but like a stubborn ass I've continued testing with 4627. Always have to finish what I start! I hope I'm finished! What are you going to mix with CBL129?

UPDATE:

I spent about an hour in phone conversation with my friendly supplier. We had a great chat about several things. One of them of course was TART WAX.

As I expected he was reluctant to discuss another supplier's propietary products, but I will report, he did not disagree with my assessment of their tart wax.

After much dialog on industry trends towards wickless wax products, I have decided I will be testing another soy-less/petroleum based wax for my clamshell tart melts.

I will be buying; CBL-129 from Candlewic, Doylestown, PA. After testing it, I will report again on my findings. CBL-129 has a reported 10% FO holding capacity.

I now know this wax will be all petro and from a company that has been in business a long time. Did I mention, it is the closest source of wax for me? Candlewic also has a 200 lb. shipping break with UPS. I have never had a problem with their service. They were the second candle supply source I purchased from. Pourette, now long out of business, was the first.

I am an "old school" chandler that believes; Despite the many benefits of soy wax, nothing will "throw" better than paraffin. I will also be buying Candlewics CW-125 for my primary container wax when my current supply of 4630 is exausted. I'm hoping to find it more consistant than the IGI packaged product.

This is not a paid for endorsement or advertising.

In case your interested in trying one of their waxes, too; I'd like to mention that they are selling their premium FO's at $1.00 off for the next few days.

http://www.candlewic.com/default.asp

JMO/HTH

Dave

Edited by ChandlerWicks

Thanks for the update, Dave!

It would seem that if I entertained the CW wax that would, again, put me in the "single supplier" source for wax. I certainly will test the TCS wax I made over the weekend, I am staying the course with my 4625/4627 or 4625/4630. Widely available and consistently good performance. Well, for me, anyway.

I did also mean to ask if everyone does a second pour with the TCS wax. Mine are quit sunken in the center. Those made with the 4633 are not as bad. Just curious. I pour into heavy Ellipso cups so do not cool much before pouring so that may be it.

Karen, I do not do repours with TCS wax. You may want to pour it a little cooler perhaps.

hth :)

David, was your "horse" willing/able to tell you anything about TCS wax?

TIA :grin2:

Yes, but only "off the record". Sorry. He is too much of a genuinely nice guy to comment on a competitor. I respect him for it.

I'll be 64 in September and I have no concern with buying a "wickless wax" from a supplier who has been in business for so long. My "friend" is a second generation chandler and supplier.

I would have to know what type of wax I was working with, before I sold it. He told me and I believe him.

A wickless petroleum wax in my opinion would not need the extensive testing as a wax used for wicked projects. I'm just not at all concerned with this suppliers stability. It may be problematic for shipping expense on the more western members of the board, however.

I'm sorry I wrote CW-125. That was the old designation. It is now; CBL-125. SORRY for the mistake.

Ravens; There's a chance that I'm wrong about TCS tart wax. It might be very similar to CW's 129. I don't have either in my shop so I'm not able to compare them. Maybe another member will pitch in and comment.

I've got a sore back and tired eyes. I'm turning in early tonight. I won't even be having dinner, as if I needed it! (lol)

Night!

So, TCS Tart Wax IS or IS NOT Paraffin?

I may have gotten lost again.

According to Ravens; The mother of the owner of TCS claims that the tart wax does not contain soy. That is my understanding.

I've never seen it, myself. I will, however, state that from what I've read on this board and the TCS site it sounds like a para-soy blend to me. (IGI-6006?)

I'm not trying to be evasive or obstinate, but I'm not interested in buying or using it. Another member will have to report.

Sorry, Karen! I wish I could have been more helpful.

OH Heck! Look for a PM in your inbox in the morning. You're too nice to leave hanging, but I need to go to bed. I'm in serious pain.

Sleep tight all!

Dave

Dave...before you go to sleep just wanted to say thank you very much for talking to the horse today.

I got back on here late after napping too long and am just now seeing your reply. We were avid CW wax users at one time and drifted. I believe it was due to CBL130 having a problem or we got candle nose.

Now I'm rethinking.......on 129/141/125

TCS Update

TCS on its own got about 16 hours of HT for me using Peak Wild Mtn Honey in a large Scentsy warmer.

TCS/4627 used at 50/50 is still going but almost done. It should end up beng about 12 hours.

When I consider a melt done is when it loses about 75% of its HT not when it gets to the wax only smell.

It's definitly paraffin in my opinion.

I have these waxes to compare them too and its not like ANY of them in density

4642 (J225)

cbl125

ky133

ky parasoy tart

clarus 3020

clarus 3022

various soys & coconut

The slab form you can almost literally break apart with your arm strength (I weigh 110 so I have to slap it on the side of the table=no arm strength) then its falls apart and is this strange soft/hard combo. I'm not describing it well I know...but most all of my waxes are IGI and its like NONE of them. Its kinda messy with all the little pieces that fall off of it.

Edited by pita4294

I had heard the "tip" about putting melts in the refrigerator as soon as they skim over to help seal the scent in. Am glad a supplier says it now too.

This is good information. I recently switched over to the portion cups and noticed that my melts haven't seemed as strong. The difference could be that when I was pouring into molds, I was placing the mold on a cookie sheet and popping it in the freezer once the melts skimmed over. I havent been doing that with the portion cups, but I think I will start doing that again.

I had heard the "tip" about putting melts in the refrigerator as soon as they skim over to help seal the scent in. Am glad a supplier says it now too.

This is good information. I recently switched over to the portion cups and noticed that my melts haven't seemed as strong. The difference could be that when I was pouring into molds, I was placing the mold on a cookie sheet and popping it in the freezer once the melts skimmed over. I haven't been doing that with the portion cups, but I think I will start doing that again.

I have not done that with either. I will have to try this.

I am going to need a bigger refrigerator and freezer...

Karen, according to Loren and his mother, TCS wax is 100% paraffin and "a few other things" - no idea what the "few other things" may be, unless that means the usual additives they put in the "blended" paraffins. Both said there is absolutely no soy wax in the TCS wax, and that if it's used as container wax, zincs work best (true, from personal experience).

Deve, I don't think TCS wax is like the 6006 because it is quite a bit harder than the 6006, and it certainly isn't like the CBL 129, which is rather translucent when in slab form; TCS is pure white and rather "dense" when you cut it.

I just would love to know if I can buy TCS wax from another supplier; makes me nervous the wax is available from The Candle Source only. Same with another favorite wax of mine (the CBL 129), it's available only from Candlewic!

Now, just to complicate and continue the sleuthing efforts, I saw a close-up of a wax that looks very, very similar to TCS, with the same melt point. I'll have to go look again because I can't remember if it is the Accu-blend or the Accupar:rolleyes2 Sorry, blame it on old age, lol.

So, TCS Tart Wax IS or IS NOT Paraffin?

I may have gotten lost again.

I just would love to know if I can buy TCS wax from another supplier; makes me nervous the wax is available from The Candle Source only. Same with another favorite wax of mine (the CBL 129), it's available only from Candlewic!

I want to go sleuthing with you. I'll be searching Accu-blend in a bit :)

The nice thing about CW is they've been in business for such a long time, with it being a generational business too. I don't feel as uneasy about their wax as the smaller, newer suppliers. Yes, the 129 was quite translucent but had some great HT. 141 was good too.

I can't compare slabs since I have all pellets but examining them can tell they are quite opaque.

As I mentioned to another member earlier, I'm going all in this time with waxes all at once to be able to test them side-by-side with the hopes of getting this settled in the very near future on both melts and containers.

TY for the info....off to search.

ETA: Pic has the slab and pellets. MP is a bit different but not by too much. Don't know if I it's ok to put the link in or not.

Edited by jeanie353