CandleWic.com Paraffin Wax - Best blend for a beginner?

Hey everyone!

I am new to candle making and trying to figure out the best wax to use. I have been experimenting with Golden Brands Soy 464, but struggling to get any HT and minimal CT.

Now I am considering switching to a paraffin blend, and I am looking for suggestions on which one to pick. I need to buy from candlewic.com because they are local and I can avoid shipping costs. This limits my selection a bit, but I just can't make myself pay $40+ for shipping when I don't have to.

My perfect wax would have the following characteristics in order of importance:

#1 most important - GREAT SCENT! CT is not as important as HT.

#2 - short cure time. 24-48 hours if possible.. definitely less than a week.

#3 - Easy to work with, since I am totally new to this.

Extra... Minimal or no additives preferred, but if that's the best way to do it, I will learn how to use them.

I am only making these candles for myself, so I am not at all concerned with appearance. Scent, cure time, and ease.

These are the two wax blends that I think would be best from candlewic...

Paraffin Wax 130

Container Fill Wax - CF

If those are the two you are looking at and they are local to you, try a 10 lb slab of each before you invest in the case. They ought to be able to help you find the wax that will perform well for you. Since they are suggesting a small percentage of an additive to those waxes, pick up some vybar 260. One thing you might want to do is combine your soy with the two paraffin blends too and see how that works out. They know their waxes best as would anyone on here who uses their wax. Wish I could be more helpful, but I can't. I know where I get wax is within driving distance and love that alleviates the cost of shipping, but they are an IGI supplier. I used to try out some of Candlewic's waxes, but those don't look like they are around any more either. If you dive into the pillar making side, 4045 is the way to go.

Edited by Scented

Definitely buy a slab before buying a case. Candlewic labels their wax by the intended use. Read the description and pick the one that most likely fits what you want to do. Candlewic has container blends, pillar blends, etc. For container, low melt temp wax makes sense. For pillars, a medium melt temp is important. For stuff like hurricanes and carved candles, higher melt temps work and candlewic identifies them as such.

Agree, buy a slab first. I use two waxes, both paraffins, and one of them is sold by Candlewic; it is the CBL129. The scent throw is out of this world!

It is easy to wick, a couple of days to cure; however, you must do re-pours, no escaping that, I'm afraid - lol

Hey everyone!

I am new to candle making and trying to figure out the best wax to use. I have been experimenting with Golden Brands Soy 464, but struggling to get any HT and minimal CT.

Now I am considering switching to a paraffin blend, and I am looking for suggestions on which one to pick. I need to buy from candlewic.com because they are local and I can avoid shipping costs. This limits my selection a bit, but I just can't make myself pay $40+ for shipping when I don't have to.

My perfect wax would have the following characteristics in order of importance:

#1 most important - GREAT SCENT! CT is not as important as HT.

#2 - short cure time. 24-48 hours if possible.. definitely less than a week.

#3 - Easy to work with, since I am totally new to this.

Extra... Minimal or no additives preferred, but if that's the best way to do it, I will learn how to use them.

I am only making these candles for myself, so I am not at all concerned with appearance. Scent, cure time, and ease.

These are the two wax blends that I think would be best from candlewic...

Paraffin Wax 130

Container Fill Wax - CF

Sometimes I feel like I am a self proclaimed sales person for them. I would suggest as the others did to definitely begin with a slab of the ones you are debating between. What I personally can tell you is I have used CBL130, CBL129, CBL125 and CBL141. I am so pleased with them I do pay extra for shipping from PA to WI. Each to their own...some have patience and work with a wax until they get it dialed in... they can get from a local supplier to save shipping and some do as I do and pay extra to get what worked from from the onset without having to try to find that patience I seem to keep losing.

As one poster mentioned...each have their own specific characteristics. My opinion....is that all four have fantastic scent throw and wick easily.

I had tested wax after wax for almost 2 years before I stumbled upon these blends. My search is over...finally. However, I will admit....being the addict I am...that I do still play around with some other blends when I am bored or get a whim.

HTH and GL to you

Edited by jeanie353

Thanks Jeanie, I'm going to see if I can get some samples of each of those blends. What have you found to be the best wicks to use with each of them? Also, I am still a little confused as to what makes a wax easier or harder to wick. Does that mean how much it moves the wick while drying, meaning you would have to work harder to keep the wick centered and taut? Thanks again!

Thanks Jeanie, I'm going to see if I can get some samples of each of those blends. What have you found to be the best wicks to use with each of them? Also, I am still a little confused as to what makes a wax easier or harder to wick. Does that mean how much it moves the wick while drying, meaning you would have to work harder to keep the wick centered and taut? Thanks again!

I use Eco's but did read recently where another person who uses them has very good luck with LX. My container wax is CBL130 with the Ecos but it does have some soy in it. If you prefer to not use soy, the 125 is strictly paraffin for containers and tea lights. Or if you like a wax that pulls away from the jar the 129 can do triple duty for containers/tarts/votives. They have a little video clip on the site about that. I use the 125 for tea lights and mixing in with my votive and tart wax.

Edited by jeanie353

I'm using CBL130 for my containers. My notes say the jar got too hot. I think I'll do a tester and try down sizing the wick since I'll be pouring tomorrow. If there is room for improvement...I'm all for that :) Do you twist your CDs for containers?

Edited by jeanie353

Candlewic's slab waxes are IGI waxes they get truck in liquid form and slab themselves which is why they don't call them IGI. Generally you can figure out which ones they are by their melt point but their cbl 126 is igi 4630. Really awesome for straight paraffin candles, and blends well with soy and palm.

Candlewic's slab waxes are IGI waxes they get truck in liquid form and slab themselves which is why they don't call them IGI. Generally you can figure out which ones they are by their melt point but their cbl 126 is igi 4630. Really awesome for straight paraffin candles, and blends well with soy and palm.

I don't see a cbl 126 on Candlewic's website. Did you mean cbl 125 ?

So which IGI wax would be Candlewic' CBL 129? Also, how did you discover this? If true, that's be great as I'd save myself expensive shipping charges. Thanks!

Actually yes. I was thinking of their 126 mp wax (under paraffin wax subcategory), but was referring to the cbl 125.

Actually yes. I was thinking of their 126 mp wax (under paraffin wax subcategory), but was referring to the cbl 125.

Do you know this about the CBL 141, 129 and 130 as well? I am having it shipped basically half way across the country right now. Their shipping charges are reasonable but if it is an IGI product, I could save some shipping costs possibly.

TIA

Edited by jeanie353

I found this out when I asked them if they could order a pallet of 4630 for me, I'm closer to them than any other wholesale company and they replied with "...our CBL-125 is identical to that product and the only difference is we bring the product in liquid form and slab the material but not allowed to call it 4630" I don't know about the other ones but you can ask them they don't seem to be hiding their secret formula. This was in the second email to them ever.

Edited to say If I had to guess I would say 141=IGI 4625 129= IGI 4794 & 130= IGI 6006

Edited by 001

Thank you, 001; think I will either call them or send an email. It'd be great to find the CBL129 equivalent closer to home! Thanks again :-)

I found this out when I asked them if they could order a pallet of 4630 for me, I'm closer to them than any other wholesale company and they replied with "...our CBL-125 is identical to that product and the only difference is we bring the product in liquid form and slab the material but not allowed to call it 4630" I don't know about the other ones but you can ask them they don't seem to be hiding their secret formula. This was in the second email to them ever.

Edited to say If I had to guess I would say 141=IGI 4625 129= IGI 4794 & 130= IGI 6006

Thank you. I may give Bill a call too. Maybe I'll get time this afternoon. He is such a friendly man, gives great advice and their customer service is top notch in my book.

I have a little 4625 around here and almost always can find a CBL blend in my house to put them side by side. I wonder why IGI 4794 doesn't advertise being a double duty container/votive blend like they do for CBL129? I call it triple duty b/c I've used it for tarts as well. Also, I could not get a good scent throw from IGI 6006 others have had great success with it. However, I use CBL 130 for all my containers with awesome ST. Well, we all know how that goes in the candlemaking world...what works for one just may not work for the next.

Edited by jeanie353

Ok, just called Candlewic. Did not speak with Bill, but this is what I learned. They receive their waxes in liquid form (via rail) from IGI. The CBL125 is exactly as IGI4630. The CBL129, which is the wax I use - is "very comparable" to the IGI 4794. Well, I wanted more clarity over that "very comparable", so I asked, "Comparable but not exactly IT?" And the lady answered, "The CBL 129 is our own blend. It's 4794 with additives added". Hmmm, what additives? What percentages? They won't say.... I have used both (4794 and CBL129) in containers, and the 129 shrinks quite a bit more than the 4794, but the HT lasts longer). Hmmm, much of the mystery continues, lol

Thank you. I may give Bill a call too. Maybe I'll get time this afternoon. He is such a friendly man, gives great advice and their customer service is top notch in my book.

I have a little 4625 around here and almost always can find a CBL blend in my house to put them side by side. I wonder why IGI 4794 doesn't advertise being a double duty container/votive blend like they do for CBL129? I call it triple duty b/c I've used it for tarts as well. Also, I could not get a good scent throw from IGI 6006 others have had great success with it. However, I use CBL 130 for all my containers with awesome ST. Well, we all know how that goes in the candlemaking world...what works for one just may not work for the next.

I also called CW. I spoke with a very nice lady who was informative and answered my many new questions. This is the info I received:

As Ravens mentioned...I was also told CBL125 is IGI 4630. After that blend it changes...here goes:

All the CW house blends (the CBL waxes) begin with a straight paraffin base in liquid form made by IGI. It was explained this is what most supplier house blends also start out with or an import paraffin from China.

From this liquid form is where CW adds the additives they do for each blend.

CBL129 is not 4794 but has similarities...as Ravens also mentioned.

CBL 141 is not IGI 4625

CBL130 is not IGI 6006. I was particularly interested in CBL130. I was told I would not be able to find this wax anywhere else. It does have soy in it (which I knew) but it is their own blend exclusively.

I did not go into as much questioning on the CBL141 as the CBL130 to get that specific of wording.

HTH...... and thank you 001 for starting this post. It helped establish a lot of information that had not crossed my mind either way prior to this. At least we now know the answers on all the blends.

Edited by jeanie353