Emma Jar at Wallyworld

Did you see my post above about how my 10 oz Emma jar was going crazy? I just checked it again, and I think it's been 5 minutes since I lit it and it's not smoking anymore because it's got a good MP going, but all that smoke at the beginning was more than I'd expect a customer to tolerate. I'm wondering if maybe it's because I moved it after I extinguished it last night and sloshed melted wax on the wick. That's probably what happened. I'll have to wait and see how it behaves when I relight it for the next test after this one.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No I just read it now. Once I get back from running errands I'll try mine again. Here's the pics of HTP93, ignore the messy sides it's from mushing down the Hup from 1212 [ATTACH=CONFIG]25725[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]25726[/ATTACH]

My 10 oz Emma with the HTP 104 is burning properly now, so no problem with the wick size.

Those are pics of your DT Status jar with the HTP 93, right? Since you started testing that jar with your wax level so high, it's hard to tell right now how well the 93 is working, but hopefully you'll get a FMP after one or two more burn sessions. How's the HT with that smaller wick?

I have candlenose but can smell somewhat. I can't even smell the lavendar anymore. Hopefully by the 4th burn I'll have a complete MP. I've never had one until way past 1/2 of the jar is burned.

I've got a FMP now in my DT Status jar with the HTP 104, it's the last hour of my 3rd burn session.

I'm trying two HTP 83's in the 20 oz Emma Jar just for the heck of it. Oops! I just looked at the jar and those two wicks are drowning already and it hasn't even been an hour. Oh, well! I think I'll order a 16 oz apothecary jar from Peak because I found several comments on craftserver by posters who double wicked those jars successfully with 4627 and HTP 83's or 73's.

Did you know that Victory Blend parasoy, IGI 6098, has the same strong HT and CT as 4627? It's recommended to use HTP's or Performa wicks. Maybe we should try a slab of it from Morris Wax sometime, because it's probably easier to wick in large diameter jars with shoulders than 4627.

Edited by HorsescentS

There's another message above this one, in case you haven't read it yet. But I just wanted to tell you that I went to Wallyworld to get Valentine's stuff and I checked out the jar aisle, of course, and right next to the 10 oz and 20 oz Emma Jars they have 4-packs of adorable little 4 oz Emma Jars! The 4-pack is $5.97 and the box says "Anchor Hocking" on it. Those little Emma's would make the cutest little votives or samples, especially if they're decorated. I'm sure they'd be real easy to wick.

2 52s drowned in my 20 oz, 104 got a huge mushroom & almost a full MP in the 10oz, this the 1st burn after I melted it down to bring it to under shoulders like yours.

Oh thanks I'm glad you found the thread with wicks sizes for apothecary's. 105 is too small.

I'm trying to remember whether Jeanie had said 6098 was weak or not. I'm pretty sure she said it wasn't good.

I've got a FMP now in my DT Status jar with the HTP 104, it's the last hour of my 3rd burn session.

I'm trying two HTP 83's in the 20 oz Emma Jar just for the heck of it. Oops! I just looked at the jar and those two wicks are drowning already and it hasn't even been an hour. Oh, well! I think I'll order a 16 oz apothecary jar from Peak because I found several comments on craftserver by posters who double wicked those jars successfully with 4627 and HTP 83's or 73's.

Did you know that Victory Blend parasoy, IGI 6098, has the same strong HT and CT as 4627? It's recommended to use HTP's or Performa wicks. Maybe we should try a slab of it from Morris Wax sometime, because it's probably easier to wick in large diameter jars with shoulders than 4627.

2 52s drowned in my 20 oz, 104 got a huge mushroom & almost a full MP in the 10oz, this the 1st burn after I melted it down to bring it to under shoulders like yours.

Oh thanks I'm glad you found the thread with wicks sizes for apothecary's. 105 is too small.

I'm trying to remember whether Jeanie had said 6098 was weak or not. I'm pretty sure she said it wasn't good.

I wonder if your FO caused the mushroom. If you got almost a FMP at that wax level it's the right size, I think.

I've read that for 6098 you have use a higher FO load, like 1.5 oz p.p., which is the same amount I had to use in 6006 before I could smell anything. But I've read numerous posts that say 6098 has got the exact same strong HT and CT as 4627. I wonder why Jeannie didn't like it...but isn't Jeannie the one who said she made her strongest and most long-lasting tarts by mixing 6098 with a pillar blend?

Edited by HorsescentS

You're killing me! They kinda look like Salt & Pepper shakers.

Yeah, they do a look a little bit like salt 'n pepper shakers sitting there empty, especially because Wallyworld usually has those mini mason jar salt 'n pepper shakers on the shelf above them. But, once they're filled with colored wax and have a bow and some other doo-dads on them they'll look like adorable votives that nobody can resist buying for $5.00 or so.

Edited by HorsescentS

post-13614-139458508167_thumb.jpg93 3rd 3 hour burn

post-13614-139458508173_thumb.jpg 104 5th 3 hour burn

post-13614-139458508177_thumb.jpg105 6th 3 hour burn

Not sure, we need her to tell us! It could be the FO. I'll leave the 104 in the 10 oz then. Here's pics of 93, 104 & 105

I wonder if your FO caused the mushroom. If you got almost a FMP at that wax level it's the right size, I think.

I've read that for 6098 you have use a higher FO load, like 1.5 oz p.p., which is the same amount I had to use in 6006 before I could smell anything. But I've read numerous posts that say 6098 has got the exact same strong HT and CT as 4627. I wonder why Jeannie didn't like it...but isn't Jeannie the one who said she made her strongest and most long-lasting tarts by mixing 6098 with a pillar blend?

Edited by ChandlerWicks

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25728[/ATTACH]93

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25729[/ATTACH] 104

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25730[/ATTACH]105

Not sure, we need her to tell us! It could be the FO. I'll leave the 104 in the 10 oz then. Here's pics of 93, 104 & 105

How many three-hour burn sessions have you done on those DT Status jars in the pics?

I think if you filled them only to 3/4" below the rim the 105 and 104 would have FMP's by now, but since you filled them all the way up I think the 104 is doing the best so far. I'm so glad you made three sizes.

Edited by HorsescentS

I'm back now, how's it going on that end?

My 10 oz Emma jar got so low on wax that the unsecured wick flopped over, so I put it in my oven on Warm until it melted, then I used a bit of Tacky Wax on the bottom of a wick assembly and pressed it right through the melted candle wax onto the bottom of the jar where it stuck, so now it's cooled and hardened and I'll be ready to see how the last 1-1/2" of the candle goes.

I power burned my DT Status all day, since it had already gotten an FMP on the 3rd burn, and it burned nice and clean, no soot even with the ceiling fan on low, no overheating. But 4627 is so long-lasting that the top of the wax is only 1/2" lower than when I poured it.

I keep thinking that if we can just find a big wick that doesn't smoke we can wick the 20 oz Emma jar. I think I remember ChrisR saying he used to single wick the tall Libbey cylinder jar with a big LX...if I'm not mistaken, but I can't remember what number wick he said or what thread it's on, but maybe I can find it on search.

I'm getting alot of soot on 104, 105 status jar, none with the 93 wick.

I'm not sure if I'm remembering right but I think she said 2 CD4s would be good in the short cylindar if I reduced the FO. It was the thread where the purple dye was screwing up my wicking.

I'm not sure why you're getting soot on those two jars, but maybe not filling them so full would help because you would have gotten a FMP on the third burn so the flame wouldn't be down inside a narrow tunnel of wax...Or it could be that FO. How is your 10 oz Emma jar doing?

Edited by HorsescentS

I was busy most of the day so didn't have a chance to burn the 10oz. How many oz of wax do you put in the status?

I'm getting ready to burn the last inch or so of wax in the 10 oz Emma jar, and I hope it doesn't smoke too much when I light it up with this new wick in it.

To fill the DT Status jar I measure 3/4" down from the rim and make a mark or put a piece of tape as a guide. If you weigh your empty Status jar, then fill it with water to 3/4" below the rim and weigh it again, you can enter those two weights in this wax calculator and it will tell you how much wax you need. http://www.candletech.com/calculator/container.php

Update: Amazing! When I lit that new wick I had put in the 10 oz Emma jar it stayed perfectly still, no flickering, no stretching, no little puffs of smoke, none of the behavior I usually expect when I relight an already-burned candle. Maybe it's the used wick that makes re-lit candles act whacky for a couple of minutes after lighting.

Edited by HorsescentS

Maybe the used wicks have to burn off something that makes them act wacky for a few minutes.

The soot on the 104, 105 & a tiny bit on the 93, I'm trying an Eco6 in the 105 jar. I want to see if the Ecos have more HT & if it creates soot.

I think you're right about the used wicks.

Good idea to try the Eco in the 105 jar, since the 105 would have been too hot when it got into the lower half of the jar anyway.

So far my Status jar and 10 oz Emma don't have soot, but I have gotten soot in my DT Status jars in the past when the flame got low in the jar and danced around a lot trying to get oxygen, especially with 6006 which was more sooty in that type of jar, but maybe it's because I used a higher FO load with the 6006.

Here's the things we're doing different, in case one of these things is causing soot on your end: We used different FO's, different dyes, my house temp is around 70 degrees or more whilst yours is in the low 60s, different geographic locations and climate, I got my HTP's at Peak's but maybe yours are from a different supplier, my jars are less full. Could there be a draft near your candles?

Since your smallest wick didn't soot, I'm thinking it's just because your 104 and 105 are down in a narrow tunnel of wax which they're too big for and that makes them dance around struggling to get oxygen so they soot more, but your 93 can handle the small diameter of the wax tunnel so it didnt' start dancing and sooting until it got further down into the tunnel where there's less oxygen. I could be totally wrong about that, but that's my hunch so far, unless it's your FO, but you didn't use that much FO so I'd be surprised if that's causing it.