Emma Jar at Wallyworld

I poured 3 identical jars of the SCR so I'll keep the 104 in until the bitter end, I burn separately to check for HT. Ht was good, went all the way up into bathroom at the back of my bedroom loft, so great actually.

Maybe with less FO the 105 won't get the jar as hot, we'll see, I'll burn sometime today.

I'm thinking 126 in the big apothecary I poured. Hopefully they'll be there today. Here's the pics of 10oz Emma with True Lavendar 6% & 104 after 1st 4 hour burn. The flame is not as nice as the status jar.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25715[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]25716[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]25717[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]25718[/ATTACH]

pencil.png

pencil.png

Your 10 oz Emma jar looks good so far. When I used to pour 6006 up into the necks of the 8 oz tureens with a 62z, first they'd tunnel down like that, then the sides would catch up.

I'm tempted to wick up my 10 oz Emma jar on the next burn because it's a short jar and doesn't allow a whole lot of time for the sides to catch up, like a taller jar would. Not sure, though. :undecided

Edited by HorsescentS

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any wicks yet? Does your 10ozs MP look smaller then mine?

No wicks yet, because at 1:00 PM they told me the mail wouldn't be there until 1:30, but at 2:30 PM they said the mail still hadn't been delivered because it's running late today, so I'm going back in about an hour or so.

In my 10 oz Emma Jar my MP is bigger than yours, and in my DT Status Jar my MP is a bit bigger than yours too, but that's because I started my testing with the wax at a lower level in my jars than the level you poured to. Hopefully when I daughter gets home I can have her upload pics.

I'm still tempted to wick up my 10 oz Emma to 105, so I'm trying to resist.

At Wallyworld I saw the 1 Qt. Cracker Jar for $3.97, but they don't have the classy lids like the ones at Peak. They'd be good for testing, though. I went over to Dollar Tree and bought a Libbey Heart Bowl to test after we finish testing these jars.

Edited by HorsescentS

Ok, slowwwww mail!

I looked at the Cracker jar, I don't care for the lines on it. It's huge too!

I have the heart bowl & star bowl. I'm ready!

I'm not inspired by the Cracker Jar either.

Oh, good! We can do the heart bowl together! :bliss:I'm scared of that star bowl, though! *shudder* I don't see how that can work.

Edited by HorsescentS

OMG! *faint* It's a wickstravaganza! :yay::party: You sent me soooo many wicks! Thank you so very much! I'm totally thrilled! :soap baby dance:

I just stuck two 52's in the 20 oz Emma and started my timer. The opening is exactly 3" wide so I put them an inch apart and an inch from the sides. That's the same as the wick assemblies almost touching if we were wicking the jar before pouring. I think it looks beautiful with those two pretty little flames in there! I love it! I hope they don't drown, but if they do I'll pull them out and put two more in there.

UPDATE: After only 20 minutes the wicks were drowning. The MP had spread sideways to within 1/8" of the glass, and front to back the MP was 1/2" away from the glass. So, I'm not sure where to go from here. Everybody triple wicks the 4" dia jars with 52's or 62's, but that's in open straight-sided containers with no shoulder. All I can do is try two 62's next, I guess. What do you think? Would it be kerrrazzzzy to try three 41's in there?

Edited by HorsescentS

You're welcome very much. now we can git'r done!

Good Luck, it's bedtime here! Are you central time?

Yes, I'm central time. I will try two 62's next. I should try two of everything before I try three 41's, I think. Sweet dreams...

Maybe I should just move the two 52's closer together...hmmm....

Edited by HorsescentS

I tried the HTP 105 in my half-full DT Status jar and it was too big, smokey, and hot, so the HTP 104 is probably the right size for the FO load we're using. If the 104 turns out to be a bit too small, there's probably a CD wick that will fit in between the HTP 104 and 105.

I tried two HTP 62's in the 20 oz Emma Jar, and I got a FMP during the first hour but it was never more than 1/2" deep so that was great! However, the wicks were drowning by the end of the second hour so I extinguished the candle. I'll try two 73's tomorrow, but I'm afraid they'll be too hot in that jar. It's worth a try though.

I also tried HTP 105 in the 10 oz Emma jar, and it was too big and smokey. So far it looks like the HTP 104 is the closest size for single wicking that jar.

Edited by HorsescentS

Ok, lit the 105 status jar, no trimming of the wick & it's smoking & flickering within 10 minutes. Normally if I trim the wick correctly it doesn't do this. I'm going to let it keep burning just to see what it does. I know a customer wouldn't trim more then likely so.....

You're right, the customers won't trim the wick, and if you do trim the HTP's they often start drowning after a point. Even if you trim that HTP 105, the flame will be too wild and hot when it gets down to the lower half of the jar, I think.

I just lit my 10 oz Emma Jar. I'll wait to work on the 20 oz Emma when I"m more awake.

Edited by HorsescentS

Yep, I hate to even mention this because of what happened in that other thread. But, we can't list on a label don't trim, so now what?

10oz Emma, I lit it 15 minutes ago & it's already overpowering the SCR status jar.

Are you sure we can't list that these are self-trimming wicks and not to trim them? I know there was a "hall monitor type" being a bully on that thread about the issue, but that was just their "professional opinion" and not supported by any legal source. I think we should check with the Nat'l Candle Assoc. or even ask Peak. You can't trim the wicks on a Slatkin candle or they drown, but if you never trim them you get a nice-burning candle.

The 10 oz Emma jar is a great thrower! That's why I prefer jars with a shoulder. The regular mouth pint Ball mason jars are great throwers too, and available locally. Unfortunately, I have candle nose again so can't smell my candles as of last night.

I just started the second hour of my second (?) burn session with my 10 oz Emma jar and I can see that it's definitely going to get a FMP during this hour, and the wax level is only 1/4" below the point where the straight side of the corner meets the curve of the shoulder, so this is awesome! We don't have to wait until it's in the lower half of the jar to get an FMP! This jar ROCKS! *super banana*

Edited by HorsescentS

That would be great if it was allowed. The status 105 is actually doing very well now, soot flies off if I walk by & occasional flickering but the MP & HT is excellent. It has 15 minutes left & then I'll post a pic.

10oz Emma jar the 104 is flickering/pulsating & getting a mushroom, hmmmm may need to go down to a 93.

I like the Emma jar too.

That would be great if it was allowed. The status 105 is actually doing very well now, soot flies off if I walk by & occasional flickering but the MP & HT is excellent. It has 15 minutes left & then I'll post a pic.

10oz Emma jar the 104 is flickering/pulsating & getting a mushroom, hmmmm may need to go down to a 93.

I like the Emma jar too.

If you don't fill your Emma jar up into the shoulder, you probably won't have problems with the HTP 104. If you switch to an HTP 93 right now, while the wick is still in a narrower tunnel of wax, it might not work when the wick drops down into the wider part of the jar.

The Emma jar looks so pretty burning in a dark room because of the facets in the shoulder. I'm not getting any wax residue on my glass either, the glass is clean in all the jars I'm testing. I guess my old problem with scummy wax residue on my glass with 4627 was due to the higher FO load I was using in the past.

The HTP 105 works well in the DT Status until it gets about halfway down in the jar, then the flame gets crazy, smokey, and too hot. But, in your location, and since your room temperature is lower than mine, you might get different results than I got, especially since you're testing a different FO.

Edited by HorsescentS

Here's the 105, 2nd 3 hourburn. [ATTACH=CONFIG]25720[/ATTACH] I'll fill the Emma jars only to the shoulders next time. I can see the 105 is going to get wacky further down.

How's your DT Status with the HTP 104 doing?

I was researching wicking the Libbey Heart bowl in 4627 last night, and couldn't find anything specific, but when we start that I think triple wicking with the HTP 83 or 93 might work.

Lit the 104 at 9:00, no trimming,very tall flame but no flickering or sooting.

Have you thought about trying soy in the heart jar?

Lol I don't do soy. And since soy burns down and then out, I think it's more difficult to wick it in a shallow, wide container, which needs wax that burns outward and then downward like paraffin.

I wasn't satisfied with 6006 parasoy, so I switched to 4627. I would like to try Victory Blend parasoy in the future, though, so I can do pastel colors. Is that why you're thinking of using soy in the Libbey Heart bowl? so you can do pastels?

I've wanted to do soy in the heart container & put chocolate colored embeds in the shape of hearts into the white soy.

That would be pretty! I've seen pastel colored Libbey Heart candles made with 6006 and zincs; they were lovely! 6006 is a nice bright shade of white, and may be easier to wick in the heart bowl than soy, unless you're used to working with soy.

I just started the 20 oz Emma jar with two 73's, but I'm not optimistic. If they're too hot, I'll try single wicking with a big wick.

Edited by HorsescentS

P.S. The 73's were drowning in the 20 oz Emma so I extinguished it. I'm wondering which big wick I should try.

Next time I light the 10 oz Emma maybe I should power burn it to see if it overheats or not. It's frustrating because nothing's ever perfect: The right wick size for a customer who follows safety instructions might be too big for a customer who doesn't follow instructions. But the right size for the customer who power burns might be too small for the customer who doesn't power burn. Maybe I should only make candles for myself and just make tarts for everybody else. sigh... :cry2: