Emma Jar at Wallyworld

I was tempted to by an Emma Jar at Wallyworld tonight because the 10 oz size is so cute! They're less than $2.00. They're aprox the same dimensions as the 8 oz square mason, right?

Has anyone tried wicking them with 4627 and HTP wicks? Could you give me a starting point?

I like the bigger sizes too, so would be interested in hearing about those jars.

Here's the link to their pic at the Anchor Hocking page: http://anchorhocking.oneida.com/10oz-emma-jar-glass-cover.html

The ones at Wallyworld don't say Anchor Hocking, they say "Made In USA" on the bottom label, so are they Anchor Hocking?

I don't see many candles made with them when I search online, even on Etsy, so are they for sure candle safe? I can't find them on any suppliers' pages right now, but I think I've seen them on a candle supply website...

I just didn't want to buy one until I knew they were safe for candles. I couldn't find much about them on craftserver.

UPDATE: Peak has the 20 oz ones! Yay! I'll call them and ask about wicking them with 4627, if it's even possible. But I'd still like to know about the 10 oz ones.

Edited by HorsescentS

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought one from Wally's when I 1st began. It is adorable! Please let us know what you find out. Thanks HS.:yay:

Oh, good! Another Emma Jar fan. *super banana* If this jar will work for our wax, we'll have a cute little niche candle, since not many are using them for some reason. :confused:

Edited by HorsescentS

I hope it's not those square shoulders that's keeping everyone away! I tested it with CCs Sultry Angel & could not get it to burn correctly.

Were you testing 4627 in it? What FO load? What wicks did you try? Single wick or double? (I would think the 10 oz jar is way to small for double.) What was the problem? And did you wait at least 48 hours before testing? because I can't get accurate results with 4627 if I don't wait at least that long for it to harden completely.

Yep, I was testing 4627 in it. That's what I began with after reading threads on the best wax. I'm sure I used 8 or 10% FO, since all newbies seem to start with a higher %. HTPs would have been the 1st wick. I know I single-wicked only.

Notes are somewhere packed since I moved. No, I probably didn't wait.

Edited by ChandlerWicks

Yep, I was testing 4627 in it. That's what I began with after reading threads on the best wax. I'm sure I used 8 or 10% FO, since all newbies seem to start with a higher %. HTPs would have been the 1st wick. I know I single-wicked only.

Notes are somewhere packed since I moved. No, I probably didn't wait.

Oh, well maybe using a lower FO load would make a huge difference, since 4627 burns and throws so much better with a lower FO load. I'm going to try only 1 oz of FO p.p. in that jar with HTP wick.

I asked Peak tech support for advice on wicking their 20 oz Emma Jar, since that's the only size they carry, and they haven't tested 4627 with HTP's in the Emma Jar, but she hadn't heard of anyone having a problem with it either. When I said I'd had problems double wicking 4627 in jars with a shoulder that traps heat because the wicks drown, she recommended single wicking with the 1212 or 126. I'm dubious about that because it didn't work for me in the 16 oz square Ball Elite Jar, but it wouldn't hurt to try it I guess.

Edited by HorsescentS

Okay, just got back from Wally'sworld and bought both the 10 oz and the 20 oz Emma Jars. Don't know for sure yet if they're made by Anchor Hocking because they've got the Wally'sworld economy brand label on the bottom, but they're made in the USA.

I'm going to try the HTP 93 in the 10 oz jar, and HTP 1212 in the 20 oz jar with 4627 wax and 1 oz p.p. of Cajun's Mulberry Madness, plus some burgundy die drops -- but not too dark-- because I don't like the pale yellow color the FO turns the wax, and the family members who want Mulberry candles would rather have color. I would try double wicking the 20 oz jar, but the smallest wicks I have right now are HTP 83 and I think those would be too big.

If anyone has any experience with 4627 in this jar, I would love to hear any tips you want to share. TIA

Edited by HorsescentS

Oh, hey, wow! This is great! I found these Wally'sworld pages that confirm that their Emma Jars are definitely made by Anchor Hocking. Cool! http://www.walmart.com/ip/Anchor-Hocking-Emma-Jar-with-Glass-Lid/16504523

http://answers.walmart.com/answers/1336/product/16504523/questions.htm?expandquestion=1019717

Edited by HorsescentS

That's great! I'll pick up the 20oz today to try & wick.

Cool! I'm so glad you like this jar, it's more fun to test with buddies. I wish I had the smaller HTP's, because the 20 oz might work great if it's double wicked or triple wicked with 52's or 62's.

Edited by HorsescentS

That's great! I'll pick up the 20oz today to try & wick.

CW, I saw your post on the other thread that you bought the 20 oz Emma Jar today! :yay: I sent you a PM per your request. Thank you so much!

Now, since we're doing this together, how far do you think we should fill the Emma Jars? 4627 is picky about how far you fill the jar, because when I go up too high into the neck area, the glass traps too much heat which melts the was too fast and results in drowning wicks. So I usually stop where the straight sides of the jar begin to curve and leave a head space.

I was thinking of only filling the Emma Jar to the point where the straight part of the corner meets the curve on the corner. This pic shows it filled a little bit higher than that, though, so what do you think? http://earthfriendlycandles.com/images/Soy_images/10oz_emma_soy.jpg

Hmm...I've been looking at the Emma Jars, and I really don't think I should fill them past the point where the straight side of the corner meets the curve at the top of the corner. So, a lil' bit lower than the lavender Emma Jar candle in the pic I linked to above...but I'll pour maybe 1/16th of an inch or so higher to allow for shrinkage.

Oh boy, I didn't think of that! I don't like where they stop the wax, it looks unfinished or unfullish if that's a word. PMPLSH! I am a Moron! Sorry lost my train of thought. What would happen if we go to the top of the arch that shows on all four sides? I know with 415 it can be done, because the 1st burns start out slow then get wider.

Ok, maybe I'll try the smaller jar to the arch & see how it goes.

Edited by ChandlerWicks

Oh boy, I didn't think of that! I don't like where they stop the wax, it looks unfinished or unfullish if that's a word. PMPLSH! I am a Moron! Sorry lost my train of thought. What would happen if we go to the top of the arch that shows on all four sides? I know with 415 it can be done, because the 1st burns start out slow then get wider.

Ok, maybe I'll try the smaller jar to the arch & see how it goes.

Yeah, we can pour to different levels and compare notes. I used to like jars filled into the neck too, and with 6006 I was able to do that, because parasoy and soy burns down first and then out, but now I think of the head space as part of the design that helps the candle to throw a stronger scent because of the action of the air in the head space. And I recently learned that even in home canning you have to leave a head space at the top of the jar, so canners only fill the jar to the point where the straight sides meet the curve of the shoulder.

Edited by HorsescentS

Not so much into the neck, but to the top of the arches. The lavendar jar looks like it's missing 1/4 of the wax. I didn't finish with all the dogs, so no wax pouring today. What FO & % are you going to use?

I was looking at the jar again and I'm afraid if I go to the top of the arches it's not going to leave enough head space and the wick will drown.

I agree it looks better more full, but for example, if you look at the CS videos on how to make paraffin container candles, they use two pint masons and they only go to the top of the straight part of the jar, where the straight meets the curve.

I'm going to use Cajun Mulberry Madness, 1 oz p.p. without subtracting. I called Cajun and asked them if it's 1 oz FO to 15 oz of wax, or 1 oz FO to 16 oz of wax, and she said 16 oz of wax.

Do you think triple wicking the 20 oz jar would be too hot? Is triple wicking only good for open straight-sided containers with no shoulder?

Take the lid off & measure, I have almost an inch between arch & rim of jar. Would that be enough headspace?

I find it easier to measure the FO without subtracting. Are you going to use dye?

Yes I do think triple wicking would be too hot. But what do I know, we can always try!

I'm going to use burgundy dye but not going too dark with it, just medium burgundy.

If you fill to the top of the arches, it's enough head space over the center of the wax, but I'm not sure it's enough space over the outer edges of the wax. I agree it would look much prettier to fill to the top of the arches, if that can work.

I just got off of Live Chat with a Peak tech rep, and she recommended only going to the top of the straight part of the corners where the straight starts to taper into the curve. She said you want the least amount of change in diameter in your wax. I told her we didn't think that looked good and asked if customers wouldn't like it, but she said they'll like it if you explain that filling it up any higher would affect the way the wick burns.

So, that said, we can still fill it higher if we want to anyway. If you go to the top of the arches and I go the the top of the straight side of the shoulder, we can compare notes.

I asked her if she thought double wicking with HTP 83's would be too hot, and she recommended starting with two HTP 52's.

Should we even bother to try single wicking? I don't see how that wax can get a FMP in that size jar, especially with corners, but I was going to try HTP 126 since that one tests as my biggest compared to 1212.

Edited by HorsescentS

Which HTPs do you have?

I'm so glad you talked to them, Thanks! Now we have a starting point. I'll think about where I'm going to fill the jar, whether to the arches or corners.

Would the shoulders & neck make a single wick work better further down?

Does the EarthFriendly website have more jars to look at? BRB!

Edited by ChandlerWicks